Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Trouble with Human Playback staccati  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Mabt
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MabtAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2016
Total Posts : 22

Posted 12/2/2016 4:02 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi, I´m having trouble in setting Human Playback so that when I write articulations in Finale, the program recognises them as keyswitches to switch from a patch to another. The thing is I´ve achieved Finale to recognise legatos as keyswitches, but I can´t figure out how to do that with staccati. What articulation should I write to trigger a staccato? Thanks for your help.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 12/2/2016 4:02 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Which version of Finale?

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, 25.1

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 12/2/2016 4:11 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
To trigger a staccato, use articulation No. 1--or use the "s" shortcut. That has bene the case ever since Human Playback was first introduced.

Finale 25.1

GPO5, JaBB3, GIO, COMB2, GWI, GIFF, Steinway Basic.

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/2/2016 4:19 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Do articulations trigger keyswitches?

Zuill

Mabt
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MabtAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2016

Posted 12/2/2016 4:25 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It´s version 25. Indeed, that´s what I´ve tried, but it didn´t work...

Mabt
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2016

Posted 12/2/2016 4:26 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill, they don´t by default unless you use Garritan instruments, as Finale is set up by default to recognise them. But if you want to use your own libraries, then you have to set Finale´s Human Preferences up manually.

Mabt
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2016

Posted 12/2/2016 4:53 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Okay, I´ve figured out how to do that. The thing was I had to define the legato keyswitch too, but now I have the same problem with marcato. What should I do to trigger a marcato?

nordensten
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to nordenstenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000
Total Posts : 419

Posted 12/4/2016 7:40 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
depending on the instrument... for winds it's > - strings don't "understand" marcato, but they do understand martelé, which IIRC is triggered by the inverted V. HP also determines which trigger to activate based on the tempo and the notelength, so you may find that marcato works for short notes, but that you get no marcato on longer notes... etc. etc. ... this is all poorly documented.

(Finale 1.0 (1988) -> v.25) using 2012c & v.25
Cubase 8.5 Pro & Reaper - Vienna Ensemble Pro - Ircam SPAT - Hauptwerk 4 - (Overture 5) - Dorico
Libraries: VSL, Spitfire, Orchestral Tools, Xsample, Embertone, Wallander, Pianoteq, Sample Modeling, EWQL +++
Garritan Steinway - Garritan CFX pianos
Multiple Windows computers W7/W8.1/i7/32GB

Mabt
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2016

Posted 12/5/2016 10:19 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
nordensten said...
depending on the instrument... for winds it's > - strings don't "understand" marcato, but they do understand martelé, which IIRC is triggered by the inverted V. HP also determines which trigger to activate based on the tempo and the notelength, so you may find that marcato works for short notes, but that you get no marcato on longer notes... etc. etc. ... this is all poorly documented.

Thank you nordensten, so there isn't
any website or Finale document where I can check ou this particularities?

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/5/2016 10:38 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
When I want to trigger key switches specifically, and don't seem to get it via the HP preferences, I create an expression using a Data Dump. Articulations don't have that option.

Zuill

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 4795

Posted 12/5/2016 10:42 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mabt,

Which sample library are you using? Does this library include sampled staccato, legato and marcato? Or is it taking a generic sound and trying to achieve the articulations with HP programming?

JT

Retina Macbook Pro OSX 10.9.5, 2.5GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, El Capitan on separate drive

Mabt
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2016

Posted 12/5/2016 4:32 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm using Berlin Strings and Woodwinds and Project SAM Classic Brass. They all have sampled staccatos, marcatos... The problem is how to switch from one articulation to another. The key is to translate Finales articulations through HumanPlayback into keyswitch dumps or program changes. Sometimes it works perfectly, but I have trouble with some others like marcato. The clue, I guess, is that Finale does not understand articulations the same way I do.

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 4795

Posted 12/5/2016 7:14 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mabt,

I don't use Berlin String, I use Spitfire, but the process is the same. My screenshot shows the Spicatto articulation for GPO. This is the dialog box where you should be creating your keyswitches for your libraries. If a technique isn't listed as an option, then you should create a custom technique for your specific library.

JT

Retina Macbook Pro OSX 10.9.5, 2.5GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, El Capitan on separate drive

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Screen Shot 2016-12-05 at 6.10.59 PM.png
  105KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 309 time(s).

nordensten
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to nordenstenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000
Total Posts : 419

Posted 12/6/2016 4:12 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The problem with custom techniques surfaces when you intermingle them with techniques that HP understands/generates natively. Also, one cannot define Articulations as triggers for Instrument Techniques, but is limited to the ones that HP natively understands. E.g. a triple slash can trigger sampled tremolo, but you can't define a "z" to trigger your library's unmeasured tremolo (unless you do it with an expression as custom text and are willing to take on the hassle of manual placement).

Regarding Marcato... some libraries (e.g. Kirk Hunter) respond to both continuous controller (MW (CC1) or CC11 typically) AND key velocity, which makes it simple - you can just adjust the playback definition of the accent (>). A few libraries respond either to MW or Velocity, but most only respond to MW. Even if those libraries don't have sampled marcati, one can make an expression and set it to play back a short burst of MW data triggered from a shape expression.
Berlin mostly offer long samples with various attacks. In my experience it is best to select those with a Midi Data Dump expression (rather than a custom text instrument technique.) If you own a VSL product you have access to a Finale Library file which contains predefined dumps, easy to modify and extend...

(Finale 1.0 (1988) -> v.25) using 2012c & v.25
Cubase 8.5 Pro & Reaper - Vienna Ensemble Pro - Ircam SPAT - Hauptwerk 4 - (Overture 5) - Dorico
Libraries: VSL, Spitfire, Orchestral Tools, Xsample, Embertone, Wallander, Pianoteq, Sample Modeling, EWQL +++
Garritan Steinway - Garritan CFX pianos
Multiple Windows computers W7/W8.1/i7/32GB