Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Friendly warning when upgrading from the free 30 day trial to Finale 25  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Jeef27
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jeef27AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2009
Total Posts : 24

Posted 11/10/2016 10:43 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey guys,

Just wanted to put a warning out to you all about something. I recently upgrade from Finale 2014.5 to the free 30 day trial of Finale 25 and then from there I upgraded to the full version of Finale 25.When I upgraded from Finale 2014.5 to the trial version of Finale 25, I had to reset all of my preferences and hotkeys once it was installed. Pretty normal. I figured I would have to reset all of my preferences once again when I installed the new FULL version of Finale 25 because I usually do when I upgrade Finale from a previous version. However I was pleasantly surprised to find out that all of my preferences (including my custom hot keys, libraries, xml files etc.) were still in place! Woo Hoo!!!! Except for the most crucial one......

For whatever reason, my "auto-save" every 2 minutes preference did not transfer from the trial version of Finale 25 to the FULL version of Finale 25. The rest of my preferences did, but not auto-save. I consider myself a responsible program user and always rely on auto-save functions because there is too much room for human error/forgetfulness if you just count on yourself remembering to hit command+S to save your work. AKA: I never manually save documents unless I'm exiting them, that's what auto-save functions are for. I'm sure you can see where this is going.

I was up and at it at 8:00 this morning working hard to finish a commission that is due first thing tomorrow morning. It's now 7:30pm and was settling in to work through the night and finish this thing. But, the highly-esteemed new version of Finale just crashed on me for no apparent reason and guess what.....no auto-save!!! Which means that the last 10 hours of work are gone and I have no hope of completing my commission in time for tomorrow which will ultimately cost me a couple thousand dollars because of the contract I have in place.

Moral of the story: double check, triple check, quadruple check your preferences if you upgrade to Finale 25 because not everything transfers and the program still crashes even if you have a super nice computer.

Sorry, just had to vent to some people who will appreciate this frustration.

Jeff

SF
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SFAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2001
Total Posts : 1555

Posted 11/10/2016 11:04 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sorry for your loss.

SF

MPB 17" 3Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB, 10.6.8 and 10.11.6
MacPro (mid 2010) 2.8 Ghz Qual-Core Intel Xeon, 16GB, 10.8.5, 10.11.6, 10.12 Three 27" Apple Displays
Finale 2.6.3-->25, Sib. 3.0-->7.5, Logic X, QuicKeys 4.0.7, DoubleCommand DoubleCommand, Mouse Locator Mouse Locator

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 11/11/2016 1:00 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As much as autosave can be a lifesaver, when I am working on a big, important project, I save often, and with different files (progressive names) so that, if one corrupts, I have other versions upon which to rely. Autosave only saves one file, at least as far as I know. If that corrupts, you're lost anyway.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"