Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Combining parts onto fewer staves using Manage Parts  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

James Cooper
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to James CooperAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2012
Total Posts : 11

Posted 12/5/2016 10:47 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If I create a simple score, say SATB, where each part is on its own line, is there a way I can use Manage Parts to create a score where S and A are combined on one staff and T&B on another staff? I was sure I'd done this in the past, but I can't figure it out.

Finale 2012a, Windows 7

James Cooper

James Cooper
Finale 2012c.r13
Windows XP
Yamaha PSR-170 keyboard

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 12/5/2016 11:00 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I can think of several possibilities, but there are issues with many of them. What I would do is to create a score where there are the 2 combined staves, but hidden. Then you could make a part with those in it.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, 25.1

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 12/5/2016 11:22 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Do I misunderstand? If all you want to do is combine S, A, T, and B staves to SA/TB, I would do it this way:

Move the A and B staves to layer 2.
Select Show Active Layer Only.
Select layer 2.
Drag the A and B staves into the S and T staves.
Deselect Show Active Layer Only.
Staff Tool>Delete old A and B staves.

There are a couple of other ways, but I have found problems with them: Courtesy accidentals disappear, slurs vanish... This "old reliable" seems to work best, for me.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2014.5 on El Capitan
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

James Cooper
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to James CooperAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2012
Total Posts : 11

Posted 12/5/2016 11:30 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, I thought of that, of course, but I was thinking there was an automatical way. I would use that in a full score, where two parts might be more conveniently printed on 2 lines, but combined in the conductor's score to save space. Here, I could do it your way just as well.

James Cooper
Finale 2012a.r3
Windows 7
Yamaha PSR-170 keyboard

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 12/5/2016 2:47 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There are. But as I said, I have found problems with them, so I stuck with the long way.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2014.5 on El Capitan
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."