Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Speedy edit qwerty add note key cmd?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

paulbrainard
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to paulbrainardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2001
Total Posts : 305

Posted 10/11/2011 2:55 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sorry I'm not as quick on the mac but I can't for the life of me figure out what key is indicated by the symbol for "add note" under speedy edit commands.

Actually I wonder if it's possible to use a usb PC keyboard and just have those keystrokes that I am used to?

Thanks.

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill StevensAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 5408

Posted 10/11/2011 6:57 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't know about that symbol, but to add a note to an existing chord you put the cursor where you want the note and enter (not return).

Bill

Finale 2012 (all versions since 1.0)
Staff Paper and #2 Pencil with eraser
OS 10.7 Lion

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 10/11/2011 7:00 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It is the symbol for the Enter key (on the NumPad).

NB:
In Speedy it does matter whether you hit the Enter key or the Return key.

The Enter key adds a note at the crosshair.

The Return key moves the entry rectangle one staff down in the measure (Shift-Return moves up).

Peter

Mac Finale, 2011c, Dolet 6 plug-in, Mac OS X 10.6.8, iMac Intel Core i7, 2.93 GHz, 16 GB RAM

David Ward
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit David Ward's website.Send a Private Message to David WardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2009
Total Posts : 2834

Posted 10/11/2011 9:10 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Or, if you don't have a numeric keypad, put the cursor where you want the note and double click. (This can also be used to turn a rest into a note of the same value.)

David Ward
www.composers-uk.com/davidward

Finale 2010b
Mac 10.6.8
full TGTools

Post Edited (David Ward) : 10/11/2011 9:19:41 AM (GMT-5)

Count of Monte Verdi
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Count of Monte VerdiAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2010
Total Posts : 615

Posted 10/11/2011 9:13 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Or - if you work on a newer Mac without the "enter" key - put the cursor where you want the note, and hit the number for its value (i.e. 5 for crochet etc.). A bit of pain if working with dotted notes, so in chords one must enter all the tones before adding the dot.

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 10/11/2011 9:21 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In Simple, on Windows, I can enter all of the notes in the chord and then hit the . key to dot them all at once. Does Speedy (or the Mac) work differently?

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

WebMaster and bass for the Seattle SeaChordsmen www.seachordsmen.org
Bass for What's Cookin' www.whatscookinvlq.com
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finaletips.htm

Print Music 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010; Finale 2010b, 2011b
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.
Still happily on Windows XP, SP3

Favorite reference: Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, Gerou & Lusk, 1996

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill StevensAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 5408

Posted 10/11/2011 9:34 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On my laptop (but I don't know if this is the case for all laptops) function-return is the equivalent of enter.

Isn't it fun to get a half dozen different solutions to a Finale question?

Bill

Finale 2012 (all versions since 1.0)
Staff Paper and #2 Pencil with eraser
OS 10.7 Lion

paulbrainard
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to paulbrainardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2001
Total Posts : 305

Posted 10/11/2011 12:18 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Awesome, thanks everyone that's exactly what I was looking for - especially the numpad "enter" vs "return"

I am still wondering about the idea of using a PC keyboard & having those key commands available on a mac, don't know if that's an OS or Finale thing or maybe some utility to re-map the keys. Possible:??

Wess
Registered Member

Click to send Wess email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to WessAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2007
Total Posts : 277

Posted 10/12/2011 5:08 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi paulbrainard,

you can use PC USB keyboard on MAC.
In case you have MAC wireless keyboard without "num pad" or Macbook (Pro - Air) and still want to add new note just press "fn" (function) key + "return". Ir works as "Enter".

Finale 2.0 - 2011

migman
Registered Member

Click to send migman email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to migmanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2000
Total Posts : 2432

Posted 10/12/2011 11:16 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Or, you could get a full Mac keyboard with 10-key pad for Finale (or what ever else you like), which is what I did.

Finale 2008b • MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz • OS10.4.11 • 4GB Ram