Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Improve Finale (2)  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
36 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

OCTO.
The radical answers.

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to OCTO.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 2659

Posted 11/14/2016 4:02 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Another ridiculous spacing "defect". I wish MM to fix these instead of implementing some new Tibetan instruments.
Automatic spacing ON.

Finale 2014.5 • OS X: Yosemite, MPB 15', 16GB RAM

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 11/14/2016 4:48 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Have you reported it?

Finale v.25.1, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.11.6 / 10.12.1)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

OCTO.
The radical answers.

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to OCTO.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted 11/14/2016 5:29 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
No.
Do you get the same in v25?

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 11/14/2016 5:59 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ye.s I would expect spacing to be the same unless they've listed it as a fix.

Finale v.25.1, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.11.6 / 10.12.1)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

David Ward
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit David Ward's website.Send a Private Message to David WardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2009
Total Posts : 2834

Posted 11/14/2016 6:04 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I too find this one frustrating.

David Ward
www.composers-uk.com/davidward

Finale 2014d & 2014.5 with Mac 10.9.5 & 10.11.6
Finale 2010b with Mac 10.6.8
full TGTools

Since 2001 have used F 2001, 2003, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2014

“We enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.” JFK

Post Edited (David Ward) : 11/14/2016 5:07:12 AM (GMT-6)

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 11/14/2016 7:22 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For what it's worth, this is how Dorico version 1.0 deals with it using its default settings (most which can be adjusted considerably). Not perfect (augmentation dot in bar 2 too close to the eighth after it) but a lot better, including default stem lengths. Even the position of the rests is determined by the context and not by a one-size-fits-all algorithm (Document Options/Layers/Adjust floating rests by...). You're right, MM really needs to address this.

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 25, Sibelius 4 - 7
Patterson's plugins, Tobias' plugins, full version, waiting for Jari's plugin update
MacOS 10.12
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8 GB

Amsterdam

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
spacing.tiff
  16KB (image/tiff)
This image has been viewed 233 time(s).

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 11/14/2016 7:32 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Vaughan said...
For what it's worth, this is how Dorico version 1.0 deals with it using its default settings (most which can be adjusted considerably). Not perfect (augmentation dot in bar 2 too close to the eighth after it) but a lot better, including default stem lengths. Even the position of the rests is determined by the context and not by a one-size-fits-all algorithm (Document Options/Layers/Adjust floating rests by...). You're right, MM really needs to address this.

How do you fix the spacing in the second bar with Dorico? Just curious.

N.

OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
Finale 2011c, 2012c for production work

Finale 2014.5, not used by my clients

(Finale v25 - not interested yet)

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 8GB RAM
New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999

Posted 11/14/2016 9:50 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I knew someone was going to ask that! At the moment, Dorico is still functioning under the assumption that spacing can be automated and, as a result, horizontal shifts affecting spacing can't yet be done, although they're looking into implementing this soon. Having said this, there may very well be a setting which determines the minimum amount of space after an augmentation dot, but I haven't dug that deeply yet. I'm planning to post that example on the Dorico forum and see what they say.

Vaughan

Patterson's plugins, Tobias' plugins, full version, waiting for Jari's plugin update
MacOS 10.12

Amsterdam

Writer of Music
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Writer of MusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2011
Total Posts : 848

Posted 11/14/2016 10:30 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OCTO. said...
… I wish MM to fix these instead of implementing some new Tibetan instruments.

And that's what I've been requesting for decades. Ain't gonna happen. It's far more lucrative for a commercial company to always leave a number of bugs unfixed, so we'll all keep buying the next upgrade, only to find a similar number of bugs unfixed.

Finale 25.
Mac OS X 10.11.6.

Knut
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to KnutAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 601

Posted 11/14/2016 4:10 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Writer of Music said...
OCTO. said...
… I wish MM to fix these instead of implementing some new Tibetan instruments.

And that's what I've been requesting for decades. Ain't gonna happen. It's far more lucrative for a commercial company to always leave a number of bugs unfixed, so we'll all keep buying the next upgrade, only to find a similar number of bugs unfixed.

I hadn't been on this forum regularly for quite a while until the threads on Dorico in the last few weeks. It might just be my imagination, but I've detected a considerable increase in cynicism and, seemingly, defensiveness from certain forum members. Considering the state of Finale and MakeMusic in the last few years, this is certainly understandable, and MakeMusic should take a note of this. Hopefully future versions will promote more healthy attitudes.

Then again, as I said, it might just be me imagining things. :-)

13" MacBook Pro 2.8 Ghz. Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM, Apogee Duet 2, Samsung SyncMaster 245b
OSX 10.9.5, Finale 2011c and 2014b (not using it yet) w/GPO & JABB, Patterson Plug-Ins, TG-Tools and QuickKeys 4; Sibelius 6, Logic Pro X, Adobe CS3, FontLab Studio 4, FontExplorer X Pro 3

OCTO.
The radical answers.

Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted 11/14/2016 11:21 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Personally, not wishing to be cynic, rather with a dose of humor to point in the right direction. I myself dislike cynism very much, and reading texts can't reveal one's attitude. OK, here is a smile :)
And of course, I am thankful to Finale for many scores I produced (some despite of numerous obstacles).

Here I want to HELP MakeMusic.

I am not looking at Dorico, I have Sibelius but I don't use it.

I can't program, what should I do?

ttw
Registered Member

Click to send ttw email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ttwAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 776

Posted 11/14/2016 11:27 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You could write at specification of improvements you have in mind. Think of a desirable feature; then think about how this feature would impact other features; the send something to MM. It's not easy to tell program developers what is desired.

Finale 2014.5, 25
GWI, GPO4, GPO5, JABB 3, Steinway Basic, COMB2

Windows 10 Pro HP Envy Desktop
Windows 10 Home HP Portable

OCTO.
The radical answers.

Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted 11/14/2016 11:31 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Since about 2011 I have sent numerous things to the MM, from my account. They thanked. And I have never seen any of these implemented. No one single thing.

Maybe they should have an open space where users (or anyone) can see what is requested, with voting, and if it is ever been fixed.

John Ruggero
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to John RuggeroAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2000
Total Posts : 820

Posted 11/15/2016 8:01 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Two very basic requests were just made by MM Technical Support in my name. I await the outcome eagerly and with positivity:

1. Rearrangements of the icons on the Smart Shape, Special Tools, Simple Entry notes and Rests Palettes should be saved as part of the Tool Sets so that one's work space can remain the same each time Finale is opened. This is not possible in Finale 2014 or 2014.5.

2. In Finale 2014.5, it is suddenly impossible to collapse any of the palettes and keep them in one row when they are stretched VERTICALLY. The palettes jump to two rows. This worked fine in Finale 2014. Correcting this bug was termed a "feature request" by the very helpful and friendly support person.

Mac mini (OS 10.8.5) with dual monitors, Finale 2014d (Finale 2011 as a backup) with GPO 4
Kurzweil Mark 5 with M-Audio Midisport 2 x 2, Adobe InDesign CS4 SmartScore X Pro, JW Plug-ins
www.cantilenapress.com

The better the composer, the better the notation.

Post Edited (John Ruggero) : 11/15/2016 7:16:14 AM (GMT-6)

David Ward
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit David Ward's website.Send a Private Message to David WardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2009
Total Posts : 2834

Posted 11/15/2016 8:50 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
John Ruggero said...
… …In Finale 2014.5, it is suddenly impossible to collapse any of the palettes and keep them in one row when they are stretched VERTICALLY. The palettes jump to two rows.…
Is this how you want the main tool palette? This is in F 2014.5.

David Ward
www.composers-uk.com/davidward

Finale 2014d & 2014.5 with Mac 10.9.5 & 10.11.6
Finale 2010b with Mac 10.6.8
full TGTools

Since 2001 have used F 2001, 2003, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2014

“We enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.” JFK

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Palette.png
  393KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 155 time(s).

Writer of Music
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Writer of MusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2011
Total Posts : 848

Posted 11/15/2016 8:51 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OCTO. said...
(…) I am thankful to Finale for many scores I produced (…)

Just curious: why are you thankful? Shouldn't it rather be obvious that software does what you paid for it to do? You do have every reason, me thinks, to complain when it still doesn't do what it' supposed to do, even though you paid for it (many times over by now with all the 'upgrades'). Some may call it 'being cynical', I'ld think it's rather 'being realistic'.

Finale 25.
Mac OS X 10.11.6.

John Ruggero
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to John RuggeroAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2000
Total Posts : 820

Posted 11/15/2016 10:57 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
David Ward said...
Is this how you want the main tool palette? This is in F 2014.5.

No. Yours is not collapsed. Position your cursor on the bottom margin of the palette so a two-headed vertical arrow appears and then try to pull up from the bottom so the icons disappear one by one. It will immediately snap into two columns. This is not the case in Finale 2014, where it will stay in one column and one can make a small single column vertical palette, which is what I often desire.

Mac mini (OS 10.8.5) with dual monitors, Finale 2014d (Finale 2011 as a backup) with GPO 4
Kurzweil Mark 5 with M-Audio Midisport 2 x 2, Adobe InDesign CS4 SmartScore X Pro, JW Plug-ins
www.cantilenapress.com

The better the composer, the better the notation.

jange
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit jange's website.Send a Private Message to jangeAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2013
Total Posts : 53

Posted 11/15/2016 12:40 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OCTO, are you sure that this is a Finale bug ?
On my Finale 2014.5 it only occurs if I don't have enough space on the system, i.e. if I squeeze to many measures into one system.

Jan
elbsound.studio
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
spacing.jpg
  199KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 244 time(s).

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 11/15/2016 1:18 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"Enough space" results in eighth notes way far apart, though.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Post Edited (Motet) : 11/15/2016 1:26:23 PM (GMT-6)

Vaughan
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 1999

Posted 11/15/2016 7:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The problem is that in cases like this one, Finale doesn't take the notes of the two layers into account at all. Having to stretch the music out disproportionally is definitely not an option!

Vaughan

MacOS 10.12

Amsterdam

OCTO.
The radical answers.

Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted 11/15/2016 10:15 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jange, the distance between 1&2 eighth note and 2&3 eighth note must not be the same, even in your example.

The only solution, or to say WORKAROUND, is to attach the sapce symbol " " as the articulation with offset 50 or 70, AND check to avoid collision with Articulations.

Try with accidentals, the result is even worse.

jange
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit jange's website.Send a Private Message to jangeAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2013
Total Posts : 53

Posted 11/16/2016 5:30 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You are right, OCTO.
I will write it down as a requested feature for the Perfect Layout plugin.

Post Edited (jange) : 11/16/2016 4:37:35 AM (GMT-6)

Christopher Smith
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Christopher SmithAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 2290

Posted 11/16/2016 8:54 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OCTO. said...
jange, the distance between 1&2 eighth note and 2&3 eighth note must not be the same, even in your example.

The only solution, or to say WORKAROUND, is to attach the sapce symbol " " as the articulation with offset 50 or 70, AND check to avoid collision with Articulations.

Try with accidentals, the result is even worse.

While Octo's solution is my very favourite one, there are other ways to accomplish it. What I like about this one is it will survive a respace command, while manually dragging the beat spacers will not. Adding grace notes (or rests, if you don't want the playback affected) then hiding them is another option.

Unfortunately, adding items like hidden grace rests or blank articulations to affect the spacing means that if this is two clarinet parts in the score, then the clarinet with the added item will not space properly in the linked part. Extraction and removal of the added item is the only solution in that case, and I HATE having to extract parts now!

Christopher Smith

Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5 and V. 25
or
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13 inch, early 2015) 2.7 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5 and V. 25

Vaughan
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 1999

Posted 11/16/2016 9:29 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That's the point of this whole discussion. Finale's functionality doesn't take into account something as basic as this and, as a result, we have to resort to workarounds which create other problems, or we have to depend on third party plugins which do the work MM should have done. If people like Jari and Jange are able to accomplish these things, why can't MM? And what's more, why isn't MM actively supporting these people, as well as several others like Tobias Giesen en Robert Patterson?

Vaughan

MacOS 10.12

Amsterdam

OCTO.
The radical answers.

Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted 11/16/2016 1:52 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Vaughan said...
That's the point of this whole discussion. Finale's functionality doesn't take into account something as basic as this and, as a result, we have to resort to workarounds which create other problems, or we have to depend on third party plugins which do the work MM should have done. If people like Jari and Jange are able to accomplish these things, why can't MM? And what's more, why isn't MM actively supporting these people, as well as several others like Tobias Giesen en Robert Patterson?

Many whys - but God is the silence. OH!
Agree.