Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > changing dynamic upon repeating a section  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Robert N. Calkins
Registered Member

Click to send Robert N. Calkins email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Robert N. CalkinsAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2002
Total Posts : 57

Posted 11/17/2013 4:56 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
How do you change the playback dynamic the 2nd time through a region? An example would be a first and second ending, 1st time piano, 2nd time forte. Ideally it would look like this on the page: f-p

Robert N. Calkins
903 N. Occidental
Tecumseh MI USA
517-403-2873
composer/arranger-performer-teacher-conductor

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 11/17/2013 5:00 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It might depend on whether you are using Garritan or MIDI, as there are different ways to get each to respond.

Zuill

P.S.: I just created a f-p (set to 88 Velocity for the f) to play on pass one and a duplicate of p to play on pass 2. I assigned them both to the first note of the repeated passage. I then de-selected for the p to show. It worked for both MIDI and Garritan. I am using 2014. It seems I had more problems with this in the past. Maybe just with the full mute, and not a change to another dynamic (key velocity).

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014 now.
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Post Edited (Zuill) : 11/17/2013 4:08:39 PM (GMT-6)

Robert N. Calkins
Registered Member

Click to send Robert N. Calkins email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Robert N. CalkinsAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2002

Posted 11/17/2013 6:24 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks….I'm working through it. I may have more questions. Again, grazi!

Robert N. Calkins
903 N. Occidental
Tecumseh MI USA
517-403-2873

Robert N. Calkins
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2002

Posted 11/17/2013 9:31 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Master Zuill,

Here's what I did:

1. created f-p in Expression Selection-Dynamics
2. attached it to the first note of the passage
3. duplicated the dynamic marking p (also in the precreated collection of Expression Selection-Dynamics);
changed duplicate p to hidden by highlighting it, choosing: Fonts; Style; Hidden
4. in Expression Selection-Dynamics set it to play on 2nd pass only
5. attached it to the 1st note of the passage

Upon playback, it plays at the piano dynamic volume both times. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

Robert N. Calkins
903 N. Occidental
Tecumseh MI USA
517-403-2873

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 11/17/2013 11:51 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Did you make the f-p apply to pass one only. If it still doesn't work, can you attach a sample file for our examination? Which version of Finale are you using, so I can make a sample?

Zuill

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014 now.

Robert N. Calkins
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2002

Posted 11/25/2013 9:08 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Master Zuill:

1. Well, I created a new document; set it up the same as my project regarding repeats, endings and altered dynamics and it worked. (see Attachment: Dynamic Change Example on Repeat of 1st-2nd ending)
2. My problematic project lived another life as a different document. I cleared all the entries out and entered the new composition (Two English Madrigals) in this document and saved it under a new name.
3. I did not have any dynamic changes in the original document where where I am having the problem.
4. I did not create a f-p but created a separate new f and p. I used these in the original which did not work, and went through the same process with the short example which worked. (see see Attachment: Dynamic Change on Repeats Sample from 2 E. Madrigals 11-25-13)

I am using Finale 2012c.r13 Mac

Thank you again!

Robert N. Calkins
903 N. Occidental
Tecumseh MI USA
517-403-2873

File Attachment :
Dynamic Change on Repeats Sample from 2 E. Madrigals 11-25-13   54KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 352 time(s).

File Attachment :
Dynamic Change Example on Repeat of 1st-2nd ending.mus   42KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 338 time(s).

Robert N. Calkins
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2002

Posted 11/25/2013 9:14 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey, I made a mistake and did not include the problemsome dynamics on the 2 Madrigals example. It is attached to this post.

OOPS!

Robert N. Calkins
903 N. Occidental
Tecumseh MI USA
517-403-2873

File Attachment :
Dynamic Change on Repeats Sample from 2 E. Madrigals 11-25-13   51KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 352 time(s).

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 11/25/2013 10:38 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I can't seem to get your Madrigal file to download. Sorry.

Zuill

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 11/26/2013 3:59 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You should make sure your file has a .mus extension. Here it is in 2012 format with the extension. I changed the 1st time dynamic to 127 just to check and, while the repeat wasn't that much softer, it was definitely more legato. Strange!

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 2014, Sibelius 4 - 7
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Dolet 6 plugin
MacOS 10.9
MacPro 6GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8GB
Kontakt 4.2

Amsterdam

File Attachment :
madrigals.mus   50KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 355 time(s).

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 11/26/2013 10:16 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
When I opened the file, it was set for VST (Windows--I guess AU on Mac). However, in the Score Manager, the sounds were missing. I clicked Reassign Playback Sounds, and I am set up to choose Garritan. The sounds were nice, but Garritan does not respond to Velocity commands, which I find interesting. When I changed the f and p to use controller 7, then things worked.

If I chose SoftSynth sounds instead, they worked with velocity commands. Same with MIDI, which also uses SoftSynth.

The reason the other sample file worked is because you chose MIDI, which does work with velocity.

Zuill