Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > switch from Win98SE to WinXP home  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

mm
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to mmAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 1999
Total Posts : 715

Posted 2/28/2005 2:32 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Finally being annoyed enough with Win98SE, I am switching to Win XP home. Will Finale still work as it is installed now, or will I need to reinstall it? Before I do it (planning to install it over/from Win98, not a clean install on a reformatted harddisk) - any advice or other words of caution, any problems that might arise?

Thanks,
Mike

Pentium III 500 mhz, 256 mb RAM, M-Audio Audiophile 2496, WIN 98SE, Finale 2005a, Cubase VST5

Scott Amort
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 111

Posted 2/28/2005 2:47 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey Mike,

One bit of advice. Do a clean install. A bit more effort, but well worth it in the end. In my experience, upgrades cause no end of trouble.

Best,
Scott

petey forrest
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit petey forrest's website.Send a Private Message to petey forrestAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 670

Posted 2/28/2005 8:39 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Mike,

I had a computer setup similar to yours (but a PIII 866) and I installed the XP home CD upgrade and things started to go wrong from that point on. And I don't mean Finale! That is the least of your worries. XP has a list of compatible hardware and you might get some nasty surprises in the process. Everything will be a lot slower with your old wornout processor speed and low RAM.

At that low CPU speed with XP overtop Win98, expect to make molasses in January as a part-time hobby. I ended up doing a clean install, (reformatting everything) and it was only slightly better. That wasn't good enough for me though!

If you go this route, make sure not to "activate" your Win XP CD (you have 30 days I think) until you are happy with your system. I ended up getting a new system built for me two weeks later but I had stupidly activated my Win XP CD (after the reformatting) before I went to the shop. They used my XP CD on the new machine but it was a real rigmarole on the Microsoft hotline to get them to believe I took it off the old computer and wanted it on the new one. I put Win98 back on my old one and my ex-girlfriend uses that computer which works fine for its specs without XP.

XP works great on a new fast machine. You might not like to hear this but I would only get XP if I was getting a new machine.

petey
Win XP, 2.8 gig cpu, 1 gig ram, and no common sense left! hehe

mm
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to mmAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 1999
Total Posts : 715

Posted 3/1/2005 6:58 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the emphatic input.

I had already been thinking that it was a bad idea and that the correct thing to do would in fact be to just wait until there's that new, 21st century computer ........ so that's what I'm going to do!

Everything (and certainly Finale, no problem there anyway) does work, more or less ...

Mike

Dave BTW
Bytheway Dave, what's your last name?

Click to send Dave BTW email.Click to visit Dave BTW's website.Send a Private Message to Dave BTWAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 421

Posted 3/1/2005 11:07 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have a 450 Meg PII with 256 RAM. When I upgraded from Win ME to WINXP Home, things got a lot faster especially in boot time. My wife now uses this computer for her internet job and it is plenty fast enough for her. I would find it very slow and sluggish. But the machine has never run better than it does now. It had both Win 98 and Win 98 SE before Win ME. Win XP is the best thing that happened to it.

Dave Bytheway - Desktop Finale 2005 on Win2K / WinXP - Laptop Finale 2005 on WinXP - Forza Lite - TGTools

Bill Reed
Registered Member

Click to send Bill Reed email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill ReedAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001
Total Posts : 1203

Posted 3/1/2005 2:43 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The ideal way to do a clean install, is onto a new hard drive. If things go South, just pop the old drive back in until you get them sorted out. You're probably ready for more storage space anyway.

BTW, I've never had any problem reactivating WinXP. Still, waiting 'till eveything's just so is a good idea.

petey forrest
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit petey forrest's website.Send a Private Message to petey forrestAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 670

Posted 3/3/2005 7:48 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bill Reed said...

BTW, I've never had any problem reactivating WinXP. Still, waiting 'till eveything's just so is a good idea.
I don't think one will have a problem with reactivating WinXP on the same machine (CPU),  but I had got a totally different machine made for me because many of my essential programs were too slow on the old machine (especially if you use their latest XP versions!).  I was at the computer store, right beside the tech guy who was asked "three times" while on the phone to Microsoft if the XP upgrade was taken off the old computer.  I think once was enough, unless Microsoft support workers are hearing impaired! ohlala!  lol

petey    

habibbijan
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit habibbijan's website.Send a Private Message to habibbijanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2003
Total Posts : 218

Posted 3/4/2005 1:09 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Like others have said, I *always* suggest that people do a clean install over an upgrade. It just makes like easier in the long run. Whenever you do plan on installing XP, take a gander at the XP setup guide that I wrote.

Brian Bondari
www.habibbijan.com
"Writing music with theory in mind is like wearing underwear that's too tight. It's restricting!"
Constantly campaigning for Finale on Linux....