Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Sibelius guy learning finale...so my apologies in advance  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

jspresle
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to jspresleAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2015
Total Posts : 4

Posted 6/16/2015 9:29 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm finishing up a piece of music in Finale 2012c and I'd like to put text above different exercise in the score and also have the text show up in the parts. For example, if I'm doing a full band score with some scales on it I would like to put "Concert Bb Scale" above that place in the score and have it show in all the parts as well. When I try to do that it shows up in the score and also shows up in the first part, which in this case is the Flute part. However, if I look at any of the other linked parts the text isn't on those pages.

Can someone tell me the right way, and preferably the easy way, to add text to a score and also ALL of the parts?

Thanks!

Scott

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 4795

Posted 6/16/2015 9:38 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Scott,

There are different ways to put text in Finale. Use the text tool for things like song title, composer credit, instrument name. Once placed in the score, these elements will show up on the same page and position as in the score.

For attaching text to a measure, like "C Scale", use a text expression and choose the positioning option which fits your needs. By using a text expression, no matter where or on what page this exercise occurs, the text will stay attached to that measure.
Make sure that you choose a category for this text expression which appears in all parts though. If you create an expression in the tempo marking category, it'll only appear on those staves which is dictated by the score list. Create a custom score list if you'd like, selecting all parts if that's where you want the text. Or use the technique or expression category, place it on one staff and copy to the others.

In other cases, you can even use the lyric tool. Normally just used for lyrics, I've used this tool to indicate drum sticking.

Good luck!

Retina Macbook Pro OSX 10.9.5, 2.5GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM

Post Edited (Jetcopy) : 6/16/2015 9:44:04 PM (GMT-5)

jspresle
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to jspresleAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2015

Posted 6/16/2015 9:45 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks! I'll give it a shot.

jspresle
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2015

Posted 6/16/2015 9:54 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Okay, that works and does what I needed. Am I wrong in finding it to be kind of "clunky" having to add text through an expression? It seems like the more music you compose the more random stray bits of text you'll have in your expressive text selections. I guess you can always just edit the old one, but maybe I'm missing something. Regardless, it did what I needed.

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 7430

Posted 6/16/2015 11:43 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jspresle said...
Okay, that works and does what I needed. Am I wrong in finding it to be kind of "clunky" having to add text through an expression? It seems like the more music you compose the more random stray bits of text you'll have in your expressive text selections. I guess you can always just edit the old one, but maybe I'm missing something. Regardless, it did what I needed.

different functions for putting text in a score allow for different placement options.

making text expressions allows you to have multiple expression categories with different placement options.
in the long run this gives you a lot more flexibility.

Finale (started with ver. 3.0) now using 2012 under Windows 8.1
basically ALL Garritan libraries, plus XSample Chamber Ensemble.

"Art critics suffer from Pigeon Syndrome. Pigeons like to leave their mark on monuments. But at the end of the day, the pigeon remains a pigeon, and the monument remains a monument."

Harpsi
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to HarpsiAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 495

Posted 6/17/2015 12:38 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You could also try a measure attached text block. If you add the text block in scroll view, it will be measure attached by default.

I guess you would've added the text with "technique text" in sibelius?
Apart from the advantages the other posters are outlining, Finale's text expressions can be assigned to metatools and some of them are from the start. This means that you will have quick access to lots of common expressions with just keypress-click (or two key presses in simple entry) without having to type them in, select them from a context menu, or copy them like you have to in Sibelius.

Also make sure that you assign a shortcut key to Expression tool: select expression tool, press shift + f5 to assign to f5.

Finale 2014d, Win 8.1, Korg M1, Oxygen 25

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 3638

Posted 6/17/2015 8:14 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jspresle said...

Can someone tell me the right way, and preferably the easy way, to add text to a score and also ALL of the parts?

This is mostly a reiteration of what the others have posted, but it bears repeating with a little more detail for a new Finale user.

Finale is a complex program, and usually has more than one way to accomplish any task.  There is no right or wrong way, just different ways, some more preferable than others.  For placing text in a score and parts, some power users suggest using text expressions and creating an Expression Category for defining the placement parameters.  Make sure the category supports a "Score List", where you can define which staves will have the text expression, otherwise you will need to copy the text expression to each staff of the score where you want it to show on the part.  This will work, as will lyrics, which has also been suggested.  The Text Tool, IMHO the most logical tool for adding just text, can also be used.  Text blocks created with the text tool are of two varieties.  Those attached to pages, and those attached to measures.  Page attached text stays with the page and will show up on all parts as a matter of course.  This might be all you need.  Measure attached text will follow the measure no matter what page the measure finally appears on.  Page attached text is by default black, whereas measure attached text by default is red.  Expressions, BTW, by default are green.  Choose which variety from the bottom of the Text Tool drop down menu before placing the text.  It can also be modified after the fact in the text frame attribute dialog box.  As mentioned, if you are in "Scroll View", all new text blocks are measure attached.  Since measure attached text blocks do not support a "Score List" but only which single staff to place it on, found in the text frame attributes dialog box, you will have to copy the text to each staff of the score before it will show on the respective part staff.  Copying the text is fairly simple, if you use Finale's "Edit Filter" and define the filter to copy only measure attached text.  Then it is a simple matter to use the Select Tool to select the measure to which the text is attached, and drag/drop copy the measure, but only the attached text, to any other measure in the score.  Just to make sure all is well in the parts, you will probably want to re-generate all the parts from scratch.  This is done with "Document -> Manage Parts... -> Generate Parts".  The resulting dialog box is just a warning that any previously generated parts in the document will be replaced.  That is what you want, so go ahead.

I hope this clarifies any confusion.

[EDIT]  In addition, when entering expressions from the selection dialog box, there is the Assign button with a drop down arrow for more options, where you can assign the expression to the current staff, all staves, or pick/define an "Assignment List", not to be confused with the category "Staff List".  If the expression has already been entered, you can right click its handle to expose a pop up menu with "Assign to All Staves" (ALT-enter) or pick/create an Assignment List (CTRL-ALT-enter).  If you can remember the shortcuts, you can just select the expression handle and press the shortcut, and avoid opening the popup menu.

"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!"

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5930K CPU with 6 dual core processors @ 3.50 GHz (12 threads)

32 GB RAM

Realtek High Definition on board audio
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 GPU with 4GB ram

512 GB SSD system disk

Four 4TB and one 1TB internal SATA HD's
Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional with Media Center x64 Edition, (06.03.9600.00)
Finale versions: 2011b.r2, 2012c.r13, 2014d.v5030

GPO4.02

Cakewalk SONAR X3

"There is a world of difference between a person who has a big problem and a person who makes a problem big." – John Maxwell

Post Edited (Charles Lawrence) : 6/17/2015 4:57:11 PM (GMT-5)