Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > SmartMusic - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Install SmartMusic Linux platform  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

maurocielo
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to maurocieloAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2010
Total Posts : 1

Posted 8/5/2010 1:07 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello friends!
Somebody managed to install the Linux operating system SmartMusic??

Sincerely,
Mauro Rech Cielo

James Lund
SmartMusic Technical Product Manager

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to James LundAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 128

Posted 8/5/2010 3:15 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mauro,

Welcome to the forum! SmartMusic is only developed and supported on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Mac OSX 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6 at this time. I will pass along your request for a Linux-based version to our development folks, however.

Thanks,

James Lund

MakeMusic, Inc.

These on-line forums are intended for the exchange of ideas among the users of MakeMusic products. If you'd like individual help from our technical support staff, please contact us directly at www.smartmusic.com/support.

violajack
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to violajackAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 20

Posted 8/7/2010 5:57 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Smart Music can be installed via wine with some extras, but the last I checked, it fails at login so you can't actually use an active subscription, but the samples play well. I think the last time I tried was on Ubuntu 9.10. Try searching at the forum of the distro you're using to see if they have a solution.

And I would like to second the request for a native linux version.

snok
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to snokAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2010

Posted 9/12/2010 8:15 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
We are running Fedora at home, but an Ubuntu version would be good too.
Any ideas when you guys will come out with a Smartmusic for Linux?

/Snok

Travis Shepard
SmartMusic Support

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Travis ShepardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2009
Total Posts : 148

Posted 9/13/2010 7:46 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Snok,

Welcome to the Forum! I've submitted another feature request for a Linux-based version of SmartMusic to our developers. Feature requests help us determine our development priorities. The most efficient way to send such a request is via our support case system at smartmusic.custhelp.com/app/ask

Our case system documents all requests and presents that data to our management team.

With that said, adding a new operating system for SmartMusic would be a large task, and there isn't any way to predict when/if a Linux version of SmartMusic might be available.

Post Edited By Moderator (James Lund) : 9/13/2010 7:53:44 AM (GMT-5)

nicholasrellim
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to nicholasrellimAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2010
Total Posts : 2

Posted 9/27/2010 9:09 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Add me to the list!! A linux version would be great!

noidea
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to noideaAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2010

Posted 10/4/2010 8:08 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Me too. I've been using Linux for quite some time and found it to be much more stable than either of the two currently supported OS'. Please add me to the list.

Much appreciated - Lucas

VeronicaB
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VeronicaBAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2011

Posted 2/21/2011 10:16 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Another vote for a getting SmartMusic for Linux.

Even help getting it to run under wine would be good.

Veronica

parkerd
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to parkerdAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2011

Posted 4/27/2011 8:19 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
And another long-time linux user says, "ME TOO!" I love lilypond and frescobaldi, but there's a pretty steep learning curve involved. I wind up using it only when someone in the band can't or won't learn their part, and insists on standard written notation. SongWriter looks like it would be perfect!

Dave Parker

snowtenor
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to snowtenorAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2011
Total Posts : 3

Posted 7/14/2011 12:02 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Add me to the list of SmartMusic users who would love a Linux version. The only reason I run Windows is to run SmartMusic, and it gobbles up system resources!

Dttri
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DttriAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2011

Posted 8/12/2011 7:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
+1 from me to a native Linux version. I would immediately buy a subscription and promote the software.

I remember using an older version (pre-2011, don't remember the exact version number), which --after some configuration work-- worked under the windows emulator WINE (www.winehq.org).

My questions are:

(a) Can I get a download of older versions of Smartmusic?

If so, (b) would these older versions work with a current subscription or is a new version required?

Thanks.

Edited for syntax.

James Lund
SmartMusic Technical Product Manager

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to James LundAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 128

Posted 8/15/2011 9:09 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dttri,

Welcome to the forum! This is a fairly old thread, so it's a good time to restate our policy on this and address your questions. We do not have a Linux version available for SmartMusic, and it's not supported running under WINE (folks who've tried have found it barely works, if at all). I do have a standing feature request in to the development team for this, but it's important to know that it's a much more substantial request than most and isn't likely any time soon if we do make that decision.

In regards to your specific question, we don't have older versions available for download. Since the software updates are free, we don't keep them around. New versions contain fixes and other updates, so the old ones are shelved.

Thanks!

James Lund

MakeMusic, Inc.

These on-line forums are intended for the exchange of ideas among the users of MakeMusic products. If you'd like individual help from our technical support staff, please contact us directly at www.smartmusic.com/support.

snowtenor
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to snowtenorAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2011

Posted 2/10/2013 9:48 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just to keep this discussion alive, I know many school music departments are experiencing serious budget crunches which preclude acquisition of new hardware. Linux (in my case, Ubuntu) gives many of these older desktops a new lease on life, and in the case of music labs, is a great option for a single-purpose machines that aren't running any other programs. The only reason I run Windows at all is for SmartMusic, and the drag Win XP or newer operating systems puts on my equipment means I have to attach auxiliary cooling fans, etc. If it's not possible to rebuild it for Linux, a tweak that allows it to run in WINE would be a great option.

MikeBreitner
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MikeBreitnerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2013

Posted 8/13/2013 5:27 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
SmartMusic for Ubintu would be such a great thing! Totally agree with snowtenor - I have to use win for SM only...

Bob Bacon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bob BaconAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2016

Posted 3/7/2016 6:15 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
yeah i really need smartmusic for linux i upgraded to linux and it was great except i NEED 100% definitely NEED smartmusic for linux PLEASE make compatible