Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Wanting independant rhythms on a single staff  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

saxguy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to saxguyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001
Total Posts : 34

Posted 5/16/2002 5:00 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What section do I need to read in the User Manual to be able to write independent rhythmic ideas on a single staff within the measure?

i.e., I might have a whole note in a measure but in that same measure, another voice might play two quarter notes on beats 3 and 4.

Right now, Finale won't let me add those two quarters because the whole note has taken up the beats for the measure.

duser
Registered Member

Click to send duser email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to duserAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2001
Total Posts : 929

Posted 5/16/2002 5:06 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Check the index under Layers > Entering Multiple Voices Using Layers.

You can also use Voices (q.v.) but Layers is what most people use for the ordinary sort of situation.

saxguy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to saxguyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001

Posted 5/16/2002 7:20 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
thank you. I'm using it in Simple text entry but can't figure out how to move just individual rests around the measure (don't want to use the global document settings for rest placement).

Wonder if I can only move using Speedy Entry (using asterisk key mentioned in the manual).

Jesper Hendze
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jesper HendzeAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 364

Posted 5/17/2002 1:12 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jeff,

You can stay with the Simple Entry Tool and still be able to move the rests vertically.

From the Simple Entry Rests Palette you select the rest of the corresponding value to the one you want to move, click on it (keep mouse button down) and drag.

You can also drag the rest when you first enter it.

Jesper

saxguy
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2001

Posted 5/17/2002 5:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
THanks Jesper! That does the trick

duser
Registered Member

Click to send duser email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to duserAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2001
Total Posts : 929

Posted 5/17/2002 6:11 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Technically, each voice should completely fill up the measure, but in practice (particularly in piano music), the leading and/or trailing rests are often not shown.

If you choose to hide the rests rather than drag them vertically, you can enter the measure in Speedy Entry, put the cusor on the rest and press the 'o' key to hide/unhide the rest. Works for notes, too.