Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Tabalature in wrong octave  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

jeffreycomas
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit jeffreycomas's website.Send a Private Message to jeffreycomasAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2002
Total Posts : 13

Posted 4/24/2002 3:21 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Whenever I use the Automatic Tablature plug-in for guitar or bass (have not tried others) the notes on the tab
come out an octave lower than they are on the staff. I thought, maybe I needed to use the "proper" clefs, with
joined 8's underneath, but that moved the tab notes down 2 octaves.

How can I fix this?

Jeffrey Comas

GT
It was some other guy.

Click to send GT email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to GTAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001
Total Posts : 1434

Posted 4/24/2002 7:38 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jeffery:

Are the strings properly "tuned" in the Tablature? When I do TAB, I just play the notes so that they appear correctly on the treble staff—for example, I play the open 6th string as the E below middle C on the keyboard—and the TAB numbers end up where they should be.

Cheers.

Gary

migman
Registered Member

Click to send migman email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to migmanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2000
Total Posts : 2432

Posted 4/25/2002 2:44 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
When people started writing guitar music
hundreds of years ago, they could have spared us
some confusion by adopting the grand staff, but
they didn't. So now we have a legacy of music
written on a treble clef one octave above where it
sounds. You will find some music written in the
treble-tenor clef (treble with 8 below), but it's not
necessary. It is understood that guitar is a
transposing instrument, and most guitarists who
read treble clef won't think concert pitch. Some
people who send me guitar music tell me they use
the treble-tenor clef because they want to hear