Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > audio engine won't load; yes, it has been asked  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Erik Van Geit
Registered Member

Click to send Erik Van Geit email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Erik Van GeitAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2011
Total Posts : 172

Posted 7/1/2015 4:22 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi, experts,

INTRODUCTION
Till last week working with Finale was nice. Now I upgraded to 2014 (recieved CD 2014c and needed update to 2014d).
With a large new work to compose you can imagine the frustration.

SPECIFICATIONS
computer 5 years old, but doing well, Windows 7, Finale 2011 still working

TRYING SUGGESTIONS OF HELP MESSAGE
For example, if the standalone Garritan ARIA Player is running on your computer and you launch Finale, or if your ASIO audio interface is not set to a sample rate of 44.1 kHz ...

To my knowledge Garritan is not running before I open finale and I tried to solve the sample rate thing.

I did this:
about "Speakers Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio (Vista)"
1. Speakers set to 16 bits, 44100 Hz (Cd-quality) tested OK
2. Digital audio (S/PDIF) 2-channels, 16-bits, 44100 Hz (Cd-quality)

Deleted the INI files as written in
http://www.finalemusic.com/UserManuals/Finale2014Win/Finale.htm#Finale/Finale_Preferences.htm

Restarted computer.

RESULT
Play back produces no sound nor MIDI nor VST and the progress line doesn't go further. You need to press STOP else it freezes forever.

NOTE
When pressing Control+Spacebar and move the mouse, you can hear the notes when played through MIDI, not through VST.

QUESTIONS
Are the following suggestions worth trying out? I do not want to get into more trouble.

November 2013
David Murray said...
If the error message still appears, re-install your original audio hardware drivers.

and
August 2013
francesmm said...
In my frustration I downloaded Sibelius trial and loaded. ok but not what I have come to like and learn. Anyway out of stupidity I tried 2014 again and quess what it is working. Not to sure but thank you Sibelius. Something in it installation fixed up my Finale issue and I have it up and running.

Can somebody bring some light in this darkness? Can something be done to get even some midi sound in the mean time? Did I miss a thread where the final simple solution was anounced?

kind regards,
Erik

EDIT: corrected quote tags

Finale 2011 on Windows

(2014d Error 7: Audio engine bug trying to get solution)

Post Edited (Erik Van Geit) : 7/1/2015 6:47:19 PM (GMT-5)

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 7/1/2015 4:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Have you gone to MakeMusic's support page and read the entry on setting up Garritan sound libraries on Finale and followed the directions found there?

Finale 2014d with Garritan Personal Orchestra 4.0.
JABB 3 and Concert & Marching Band 2.
Steinway: basic. Garritan's Instant Orchestra.
Garritan World Instruments. TGTools Pro
Windows 7 Home Edition, AMD FX-8100 8-Core Processor, 10 GB RAM
onboard Beats Audio sound card

violin and flamenco guitar, composer

Administrator, The Compose Forums
Specializing in contemporary art music

Erik Van Geit
Registered Member

Click to send Erik Van Geit email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Erik Van GeitAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2011

Posted 7/1/2015 4:54 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello, Ron

Thank you for replying.

I went here
www.makemusic.com/support-3/
typed
"setup Garritan"

Then came here
www.finalemusic.com/UserManuals/Finale2014Win/Content/Finale/GarritanHP3.htm

Then changed "sound map priority". Garritan was on top, I put SoftSynth on top then relaunched Finale to no avail. Put Garritan again on top....
Also did " Reassign Playback Sounds" although I do not think that could matter, since it seems document related.

Sorry but I'm literally swimming in information, can you please be more specific: what about Garritan setup could exactly solve the problem (and why)? Did you solve the problem doing that?

kind regards,
Erik

Finale 2011 on Windows

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 7/1/2015 5:06 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Go here: makemusic.custhelp.com/app/ and read the instructions found in "Setting up Garritan sound libraries in Finale and PrintMusic." There are files that need to be downloaded and put in the correct locations. This is not done automatically when you install Finale, nor do the installation instructions mention this, as I recall, but it is a vital step.

Erik Van Geit
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2011

Posted 7/1/2015 5:59 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks again.

I did everything what was on that page even when it's a mistery to me why it would help to load some extra libraries (which are even not needed for the music I'm writing) to avoid such a general bug.
Even [quote]Copy the ARIA Player VST_x86.dll file from the following folder: •C:\Program Files\Garritan\ARIA Player\VST
Paste the ARIA Player VST_x86.dll file to the following folder: •Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data*\MakeMusic\Finale 201x\VST Support
•Windows Vista/7/8: C:\ProgramData*\MakeMusic\Finale 201x\VST Support

So that didn't solve my problem.
Well I will restart the computer in the mean time.

Any other ideas?

Finale 2011 on Windows

Ron.
Composer

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 7/1/2015 6:46 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think you need to have a chat with MM support--or someone who can talk you through this. Meanwhile, do you have "midi thru" checked? How have you set up audio? (I suggest selecting DirectSound for now.) Do you have output set to "primary sound driver"? Have you "rescanned" for VST plugins?

Erik Van Geit
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2011

Posted 7/1/2015 6:52 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, all those settings where automatically assigned on installation.
What do you mean by [quote]Have you "rescanned" for VST plugins?"
I do not have VST plugins, at least not appearing within the list.

Finale 2011 on Windows

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 7/1/2015 6:58 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In the Audio setup, is it set to ASIO? I prefer Direct Sound.

When Finale is closed, and you open the finMIDI file, when you read down the list to find the sample rate, does it have 44100 there? If not, change it to 44100 and save the file.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014c at present. Now 2014d.
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 7/1/2015 7:03 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
(Quote tags need to say quote="Somebody" and must be closed with /quote. But I suspect you want simple quote marks instead.)

Finale 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Erik Van Geit
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2011

Posted 7/1/2015 7:08 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi, Zuill
Thanks for joining :-) There is even no ASIO within the listbox: it was set to Direct Sound when installing. The other option is MME. Don't know anything about that stuff.
Yes, I played with FINMIDI already. It was set correctly, but I changed it to other values to test and then put it back to 44100.

[FINALEAUDIO]
BufferSize=512
SampleRate=44100
[AUDIOAPIPREFS]
EngineLoaded=1
ASIOEnabled=1
DirectSoundEnabled=1
MMEEnabled=1

Other ideas? What do you think of reinstalling hardware drivers?
Or is there no simple fix just to get a "little bit of sound" when I'm entering notes? The next month 10thousands of notes must be entered, so it helps if you hear what you do.

Finale 2011 on Windows

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 7/1/2015 7:12 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Does your computer have its own built in Audio on the motherboard? If so, have you tried that instead of the Sound Blaster card?

Zuill

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014c at present. Now 2014d.

Erik Van Geit
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2011

Posted 7/1/2015 7:24 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
O, dear, how can I know that?
Control Panel - sound: there is only the Sound Blaster (twice as mentioned in my original post)

Finale 2011 on Windows

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 7/1/2015 7:45 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am not sure it would show there if it is not activated. If you're not sure how to get to the Device Manager list, you may not want to try. If so, you could see there what other sound devices you might have.

Zuill

Erik Van Geit
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2011

Posted 7/1/2015 8:01 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Your words "device manager" made me think
there is "NVIDIA High Definition Audio" appearing even 4 times (location 0 to 3) in the list - Internal High Definition Audio Slot (translated from Dutch)

I'll go to sleep now. This has me occupied for 7 hours and it's almost 3:00 AM here.
Will find some way to get rid of frustration and anger about this injustice: paying for something that does not work properly, I would he ashamed and pay back the client (in fact already did that)

I hope you can continue to throw ideas...
In the mean time waiting for Finale support to answer.

Finale 2011 on Windows

kentd
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to kentdAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2009
Total Posts : 30

Posted 7/6/2015 11:35 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sound on the computer was set up by engineers, not musicians.
It needs to be much, much simpler. I just don't see that happening.
You should be able to set up defaults with a quick click, and make changes as easily.

Musicians listen to their music through audio gear.
Audiophiles (engineers) listen to their audio gear using music. They don't actually care about the music part so much.
Can't help myself on this one. Wish that I could. I've previously lost sound for days, if not weeks at a time.
Solved it by re-opening an older file that worked OK. Sometimes that helps.

- Kent

finale 2014d on Win 8.1, quad core @ 3.5MHz, Sound Blaster Audigy
ERP support/manufacturing consultant/bandleader

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where
thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
There's also a negative side." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Erik Van Geit
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2011

Posted 7/6/2015 4:44 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sounds true and well said to me , Kent :-)

Thanks to everybody who tried to help!
I have sound now, just by updating the sound card software.

Yet another problem: play back is slow: I'll perhaps need to create another thread for that, but first I will search for similar issues and wait what Tech Support will answer to that one.

Finale 2011 on Windows

Erik Van Geit
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2011

Posted 7/22/2015 5:30 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
UPDATE
Tech Support was very friendly (big thanks to Stephanie D). After exchanging some information like sound card data, log files, Aria files and Finale files, they said that there is still an issue with my sound card driver.
OPTION 1
Buying Dutch version (while I already bought the english one)
OPTION 2
Trying an external soundcard
Where will all this lead to? I'm not ready to try those suggestions.
COMPARISON
For me as user it's like buying a new can for my bicycle; it doesn't fit well, so buy another frame, which perhaps will not match with the wheels or something else. In Dutch we call that "a street without end".

NOTE FOR FINALE TEAM
Even if there would be a problem with my soundcard, I would ask the programmers to take into account, that everything is working fine with Finale 2011 and that there is no problem whatsoever with any other program.
From my point of view they made a mistake.

CONCLUSION
For me te safest choice is to buy another computer if I want to get this to work for sure.
I asked to put me on a list for a free upgrade next time.

Finale 2011 on Windows

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 7/22/2015 7:16 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Remind me: are you inputting from a MIDI keyboard?

Zuill

nordensten
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to nordenstenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000
Total Posts : 419

Posted 7/22/2015 11:30 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Erik Van Geit said...
Even if there would be a problem with my soundcard, I would ask the programmers to take into account, that everything is working fine with Finale 2011 and that there is no problem whatsoever with any other program. From my point of view they made a mistake.

I don't think they are listening... a lot of things were more solid in 2011, at least audio- and midi-wise...

(Finale 1.0 (1988) -> 2014d) using 2012c (on Win since 1997)
Cubase 8 Pro & Reaper - Vienna Ensemble Pro - Ircam SPAT - Hauptwerk 4
Libraries: VSL, Spitfire, Orchestral Tools, Xsample, Embertone, Sample Modeling, EWQL +++
Garritan Steinway - Garritan CFX pianos
Multiple Windows computers W7/W8/i7/32GB

Erik Van Geit
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2011

Posted 7/22/2015 12:37 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill said...
Remind me: are you inputting from a MIDI keyboard?

Zuill

Thank you for trying :-)
No, that's not the case, at least not with the testfiles (used simple entry to click just notes) ; so there are no MIDI data within the files (I attached them) if it is that what you were refering to?

Finale 2011 on Windows

File Attachment :
test tempo 120 finale 2014.musx   13KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 240 time(s).

File Attachment :
Test PlayBack Tempo 32nd.musx   15KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 242 time(s).

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 7/22/2015 3:08 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I asked because on one of my machines, I have been having problems with an older SoundBlaster card, and part of the problem is the MIDI interface. That's why I asked.

Zuill

Erik Van Geit
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2011

Posted 7/23/2015 1:45 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill said...
I asked because on one of my machines, I have been having problems with an older SoundBlaster card, and part of the problem is the MIDI interface. That's why I asked.

Zuill

My computer has a Soundblaster card and is 5 years old. Are you giving me some hope?

Finale 2011 on Windows

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 7/23/2015 10:43 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I believe my problem is triggered because I have a MIDI keyboard hooked up via the game port (joystick adapter) to MIDI. It occasionally causes a BSOD.

Zuill

Erik Van Geit
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2011

Posted 7/23/2015 1:25 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oh, that's something entirely different then.
In fact I wouldn't even know what a "game port" is :-)

Finale 2011 on Windows