Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > How do I avoid the suffix editor warning?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

saxguy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to saxguyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001
Total Posts : 34

Posted 3/31/2002 1:52 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
When I do a "manual Chord entry" and I use the Alt characters for the jazz symbol font (ie., C, alt-0142) I keep getting prompted for "Could not find chord suffix'|'. Would you like to add it to the chord suffix library?"

I click yes and it takes me to the chord suffix editor where (I guess because I've set my default fonts to Chord=Symbol, JazzCord 18 and Default Music Font Jazz 24 plain) I click "OK" and there's my symbol correctly displayed.

I want the the ALT symbol to "take" without prompting.

Is this possible?

thank you
saxguy

saxguy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to saxguyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001

Posted 4/1/2002 6:11 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Can someone take a stab at this issue please?

thank you very kindly

Jim Coull
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim CoullAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 2723

Posted 4/1/2002 6:46 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jeff,

Since I have never been known to be quiet, I'd be charmed to give it a go. It would appear that you don't have the Jazz Chord library loaded into your document. The reason the suffix appears after you click "OK" as you described, is because Finale just added it to your library. Although I use a Mac, I cannot duplicate your problem if I have the Jazz Chord library loaded into the document.

Try the following steps and tell us what happens:

Create a new document as you usually do
Enter a few notes or rests then select the Chord Tool and check Manual Input
Click on a note or rest (takes you to Chord Definition dialog)
Click on "Show Advanced"
Under Definition, click on the Select button

Are there any chord suffixes present? If not, you have not loaded a chord library into your default document and that is why you always get the prompt that you have been experiencing.

If there are some present, do they look like the Jazz Chord symbols? If not, you have a library other than Jazz Chord (Times, Arial, Jazz Text, etc.) loaded into your default document and that is why the "alt" numbers have no effect.

Hope that gave you a few ideas and didn't create any more confusion.

Take care.

JIm Coull

saxguy
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2001

Posted 4/10/2002 2:03 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Still prompts me with just about every chord entered for the first time involving the ALT keys.

One thing I do see is that when I get to the chord suffix editor, the default chord is Jazz Text. I change that to Jazz Cord and it displays fine. If I go to change the default Font (under Options>Select Default Fonts>Set Default Music Font) to Jazz Cord then all my measure rests etc are totally wacked.

It only works when I change the default font while *in* the chord suffix editor.

Dick Brodfuehrer
Hack Arranger and C.O.G. (Chief Old Geezer)

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dick BrodfuehrerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000
Total Posts : 4687

Posted 4/10/2002 3:23 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I believe the Chord defaults are the ones you need to set, not the Default Music Font.

I have very few prompts using Type Into Score with the defaults set as follows:

Chord symbol and suffix set at JazzChord 18 fixed

Alterations set as Jazz 20 fixed.

However, I rarely use the Alt-number method, preferring to type everything.

BTW I have them set as "fixed" size so that they don't reduce in size when I reduce the note size, as in melody cues and chord symbols for an ad-lib solo.

Hope this helps.

Dick

saxguy
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2001

Posted 4/10/2002 4:52 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dick,

I'm slowly getting this..Thank you...

So with your settings, How would you enter
A flat sus

Would it be:
Abw?
Absus?

I can't get it to show (using the settings you suggested above):
Ab <--flat sign, SUS <--- jazz font spelled.

Also, How do I get the symbols like the major 7th triangle, to display (and print) bigger? My pianist is complaining it's too hard to read currently.

Dick Brodfuehrer

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dick BrodfuehrerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000

Posted 4/11/2002 12:31 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jeff,

You got me on that one! It won't type directly as you discovered. Here is how you do it -----

Type: Ab:0 and enter (that's a zero, not the letter o)

This will bring up the Chord Suffix Selection screen. Find the one you want and double click it.

Dick

Dick Brodfuehrer

Date Joined Jul 2000

Posted 4/11/2002 12:38 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
p.s.

You can change the chord suffix font size default setting to a larger one. However, this will change the size of all suffixes. You can play around with it and find a size you like.

I don't know how you would change only the size of the triangle.

Dick

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 4/11/2002 12:43 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
To change the size of the triangle, edit the chord suffix in the Chord Suffix Editor dialog box, select the triangle character, and click the button "Set Font..."

Peter

saxguy
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2001

Posted 4/11/2002 10:36 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Can't find it Peter..

I've tried Chord > Change chord suffix fonts and I don't see any dialog where I can "select" the triangle symbol for example.

saxguy
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2001

Posted 4/11/2002 10:39 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've found no way to change the chord extensions (suffixs) Richard. I've managed (using your method) to increase the size of the Chord name (G, A, etc) as well as the alteration (flat, sharp) but not the suffix((#9b13)) part.

Even set the suffix font size as high as 72 (!) (fixed and not fixed) and it doesn't change the suffix size...

Slandrom Musik
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Slandrom MusikAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 380

Posted 4/11/2002 7:21 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jeff,

Use manual input.
Click on a note.
In Chord Definition window, click
Advanced.
In Numeric Definition, click Select.
In Chord Suffix Selection window, find
your suffix (triangel), mark it and choose
Edit.
In Chord Suffix Editor, click on Set Font
and change the size as you like. In this
window you may also move the suffix to
get the placement you like.

Björn

saxguy
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2001

Posted 4/28/2002 5:51 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bjorn,

this works on *some* of the chord extensions but not always. When I get to "Chord Suffix Selection" and find my chord, I select it and "edit". Sometimes (i.e. a 7sus chord) only the "7" is affected when increasing the font size, not the "sus" part. I've tried other chords as well and can reproduce this on more extended chords. Yet, sometimes whole extension *do* change size as you describe.

I need to be able to change the extension.

Are you aware of this?

Slandrom Musik
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Slandrom MusikAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 380

Posted 4/28/2002 7:41 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jeff

You need to use the "next" button to
change every letter in the suffix. In "7sus"
you need to change the font for 7, s, u, s,
independantly. (It is possible to use
prefixes and numbers as +5, -9 as one
letter.) Look at "Symbol" what you are
editing.

Björn