Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Music engraving handbook  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

apollon
Registered Member

Click to send apollon email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to apollonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2001
Total Posts : 56

Posted 4/5/2002 7:00 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi!

could someone tell me if exists or not a handbook on music engraving (all standards) and (if yes) how to get it ? Thanks a lot !

Jackie

duser
Registered Member

Click to send duser email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to duserAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2001
Total Posts : 929

Posted 4/5/2002 8:53 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Two sources:

(1) The book

Teach Yourself the Art of Music Engraving and Printing

by Ted Ross, Miami Beach, Hansen Books, 1987. A little hard to find, if you can't get it from Amazon, you can order it from npcimaging.com.

(2) The website

http://www.cc.colorado.edu/dept/mu/Musicpress/

Some info there you won't find anywhere else.

TTBashore
Registered Member

Click to send TTBashore email.Click to visit TTBashore's website.Send a Private Message to TTBashoreAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 148

Posted 4/5/2002 12:27 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The Ross book is the industry standard but it contains a lot of information on plate engraving and other forms of non-computer engraving. "Music Notation: A Manual of Modern Practice" by Gardner Read is quite good too. It's about 500 pgs long and is very detailed in presenting modern notational problems. A useful quick reference guide is "Essential Dictionary of Music Notation" published by Alfred Publishing. While I don't think their samples look very good (I think they used Petrucci) the information is pretty accurate. "The G. Schirmer Manual of Style and Usage" is excellent if you can find a copy. I believe it is Schirmer's in-house style guide. I'm not sure it was ever released publicly but there are copies floating around the music engraving community.

GT
It was some other guy.

Click to send GT email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to GTAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001
Total Posts : 1434

Posted 4/6/2002 9:35 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Also, The Norton Manual of Music Notation, by George Heussenstamm is a pretty decent reference. It was written with the hand copyist in mind but still provides a lot of good information that the computer engraver can use.

Cheers.

Gary

apollon
Registered Member

Click to send apollon email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to apollonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2001
Total Posts : 56

Posted 4/7/2002 12:26 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you all very much ! very useful tips, indeed.

Jackie

GT
It was some other guy.

Click to send GT email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to GTAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001
Total Posts : 1434

Posted 4/7/2002 5:44 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On 4/5/2002 5:27:00 PM, Anonymous wrote:
>A useful
>quick reference guide is
>"Essential Dictionary of Music
>Notation" published by Alfred
>Publishing. While I don't
>think their samples look very
>good (I think they used
>Petrucci) the information is
>pretty accurate.

Just a quick editorial here; I once worked for a company that did music books for Alfred. I agree that the dictionary is a good little desk-top reference. (And yes, they use Petrucci for everything, God knows why.)

But based on copy that came back from the Alfred editors, those editors really had no idea what they were doing. Many of the "corrections" they made were in direct contradiction to things that were clearly stated in the Alfred dictionary!

(A different) Anon