Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > When playing a piece in Finale, keeps playing past end(?)  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Little-Acorn
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Little-AcornAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2011
Total Posts : 37

Posted 11/15/2016 7:10 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Finale 11b
Windows 10

I wrote an arrangement of a Christmas Carol (Chestnuts Roasting on an open Fire), it's maybe 38 measures long. When I play it, it plays fairly normally. But when it comes to the end, instead of stopping and returning control to Simple Edit, the counter keeps running as though it were playing measure 39, measure 40 etc. Nope, the score definitely ends with measure 38, there ain't no more.

Even more oddly, sometimes when it's in the middle of the piece, I can hear it playing another part of the piece at the same time. The chords are, well, interesting, shall we say.

What's going on?

I got so frustrated, I started a new (blank) piece, and copied each staff from the old to the new. I was hoping that whatever is afflicting the old one, will get left behind and not show up in the new one. But, no such luck: The new one does the same thing.

Anybody ever had this happen to them?

P.S. This happens more often when I start it playing in the middle of the piece (leftmost measure), not at the true beginning (measure 1). I just now tried it starting at the true beginning, it played the piece exactly right. Any suggestions?

Post Edited (Little-Acorn) : 11/15/2016 6:14:15 PM (GMT-6)

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 11/15/2016 8:04 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Does it persist after a fresh reboot of your system?

Finale 25

GPO5, JaBB3, GIO, COMB2, GWI, GIFF, Steinway Basic.

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

Little-Acorn
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Little-AcornAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2011

Posted 11/15/2016 8:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yep. I just tested this by shutting down completely, waiting a minute or two, then doing a complete reboot.

Then got Finale going, loaded the same piece, and started it playing in the middle of the piece. Same thing happened.

Grrr. This piece sounds bad enough the way I wrote (arranged) it. I don't need extra random lines thrown in on top of it all.

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 11/15/2016 8:53 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You say you have "Finale 11b". If you mean 2011b, there was a 2011c update offered years ago. It might be worth updating to see if this fixes the problem - a long shot, I know.

N.

OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
Finale 2011c, 2012c for production work

Finale 2014.5, not used by my clients

(Finale v25 - not interested yet)

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 8GB RAM
New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

Little-Acorn
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2011

Posted 11/15/2016 9:35 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, sorry, I meant 2011b. Actually the HELP menu says it's "2011b.r2" I hadn't heard of a version 2011c. Could that be what I have? Makemusic says I have the latest version.

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 11/15/2016 10:45 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There were problems with erratic playback several years ago. It could have been with Finale 2011. I haven't seen this behaviour for several years, but I recall that a freshly-booted system would behave for a while. However, I believe the only upgrade available is to Finale 25.1.

Finale 25

GPO5, JaBB3, GIO, COMB2, GWI, GIFF, Steinway Basic.

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 11/16/2016 12:29 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Windows only had 2011b. Maybe mac had a c update, but not Windows. Maybe we could examine the file to see what the cause might be.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Amsel
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to AmselAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2008
Total Posts : 308

Posted 11/24/2016 1:53 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, the last Windows version of 2011 was 11b. There was one additional Mac version.

Fifty-one per cent of smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Die Weisheit der Weiber ist weiser als die Weisheit der Weisen.

It is good to observe error without disdain. [Senancour: RĂªveries sur la nature primitive de l'homme]

Finale 3.5; 2008; 2011b 2014d
XP Pro
San Diego, CA