Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > midi sustain data to notation automatically  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

hastoy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to hastoyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2010
Total Posts : 8

Posted 10/13/2010 8:25 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi !  I use Finale 2010 to convert midi to notation automatically for piano solo. I would like Finale to convert automatically sustain pedal data (controller cc64) to sustain pedal markings in the notation. I would first edit the sustain data in Cubase to simplify it a bit (there's often too much of it). I know there's a plugin in Sibelius called Pedal Lines that does that. Anything similar in Finale ? Thanks for any help :-)

Cheers,

Bob
pianobello - midi to acoustic piano

Jeanne R
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jeanne RAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2007
Total Posts : 1251

Posted 10/13/2010 10:11 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It seems to do so automatically in 2008. Did you try opening a midi file? You should get an option to include cc data in the dialog box that auto pops up. If the interface has changed, try Import MIDI File Options in the Help file.

Hope that helps,

Jeanne

Jeanne
Win XP Pro, Finale 2008a, GPO 3

hastoy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to hastoyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2010

Posted 10/13/2010 10:21 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Jeanne, thanks for helping ! I get the option to include "continous data" in "import midi file options" but the sustain data is not converted into markings. When I play the score I can hear the sustained notes but I would also like to see the markings... Any other ideas ?

Jeanne R
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jeanne RAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2007
Total Posts : 1251

Posted 10/13/2010 10:58 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oh... I don't think so. HP makes temp. midi data out of markings, but I can't conjure up a way to go the other way (at least in 2008).

(And imagine trying to establish universal, agreed-upon translations (vocab.). But that's the least of the problems, I think.)

Hope something clicks for you,

Jeanne

Jeanne
Win XP Pro, Finale 2008a, GPO 3

hastoy
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2010

Posted 10/13/2010 11:36 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm currently doing this in Cubase and it works. I really hope someone shows me a way to do that in Finale, I like Cubase for midi editing but I'd rather use Finale to create great looking scores :-)

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 4795

Posted 10/13/2010 12:58 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Not gonna happen.

The CC midi data might be embedded in the file, but Finale just sees it as midi playback data, nothing graphical.
Just like your file has velocity & volume midi settings, Finale will play them back, but it will not add expressions like f & mf automatically. The various pedal symbols are located in the articulation/smart shape palette, put them in manually. It's not a big deal.

G4 Powerbook, OSX 10.4.11, 1.67 GHz, 2 GB ram
Macbook Pro 10.6.4, 2.66GHz Intel Core i7, 4 GB

hastoy
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2010

Posted 10/13/2010 1:05 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
thanks Jetcopy, do you know anyone on these forums who can code Finale plugins ? I'd ask him to try cc64 to pedal markings, like the Pedal Lines plugin for Sibelius. Cheers, Bob

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000

Posted 10/13/2010 1:14 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It'll probably take all of 15 minutes for you to do the tutorial teaching you how to add articulations and expressions.
It would take significantly longer to write the plugin that you're asking for and assuming that you'd pay someone to do it, more expensive.

hastoy
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2010

Posted 10/13/2010 1:20 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have to convert a whole CD of piano solo from midi to notation, believe me that's *a lot* of sustain pedal data ;-) 

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2000

Posted 10/13/2010 1:21 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Then you better get started.

Michael Good
MusicXML Maven

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Michael Good's website.Send a Private Message to Michael GoodAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 1299

Posted 10/13/2010 6:41 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Bob,

You might want to try using MusicXML transfer from Cubase to Finale rather than MIDI, and see if that works better for you. If the pedal lines are notated in your Cubase score, hopefully they will come across to Finale via MusicXML. I haven't tested this myself with Cubase, so please let us know if that works for you.

Michael Good
Recordare LLC

yourjakeness
Jake Hill

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to yourjakenessAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 4

Posted 4/3/2014 3:44 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
" . . . The various pedal symbols are located in the articulation/smart shape palette, put them in manually. It's not a big deal."

I . . . . I . . . (shaking my head) don't have one nice thing to say about that remark.

Yet, there's SO MUCH time and info on getting the sustain pedal to function on playback - for a notation program.

A NOTATION program.

nordensten
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to nordenstenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000
Total Posts : 419

Posted 4/3/2014 6:47 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
in Cubase itself CC64 data is displayed in the Score Window as "Ped." and "*". It can also be displayed as "Ped________/" and "\_________/". When exported as MusicXML and opened in Finale it only displays as "Ped." and "*". Those are converted to two expressions (without a playback definition).

(Finale 1.0 (1988) ->) 2012c (on Win since 1997)
(Sibelius (Acorn) -> Sibelius 7 (Win) - Notion 4 (Win))
Hauptwerk 4 - Cubase 7 - Vienna Ensemble Pro/MIR
assorted VSL instruments - assorded Spitfire Audio instruments - assorted HW organs
Multiple Windows computers W7/W8/i7/32GB