Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Page format and redefine pages: is this the correct way?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

CCMP
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to CCMPAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2005
Total Posts : 319

Posted 10/12/2011 4:56 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
When I change the page of score format I'm going to Document - Page format etc. When I change some items and close then nothing appeared. I've to Redefine Page! So I going to the pagelayout tool and the I've to choose Redefine Pages. Is this the only way? Is there another simpler option?

CCMP (Cees Coenen Music Productions)

WWW.CCMP.NL

Finale 2011 - Logic Studio 9 - Cubase - Wavelab 6

Roland JV 30 - Roland JV 1080 - Korg K61

Euphonix MC Control

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 10/12/2011 5:01 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, this is the way. The two-step method allows you to have pages with different layouts in the same document. So you could set up one layout, then apply it (Redefine) to some pages; then change the values for another layout, and apply it to other pages, without affecting the first section.

Very useful!

Finale 2011c, 2Ghz iMac; 2Ghz MacBook, 10.6.8
Edirol FA-66; M-Audio Oxygen 61; Yamaha PSR-410
Ancient Groove Music
www.ancientgroove.co.uk

CCMP
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to CCMPAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2005

Posted 10/12/2011 5:08 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you for your answer. I just do not understand why some feature is on one menu and the other function in the other menu. Why is the option directly to the screen format parts or score?

WWW.CCMP.NL

Euphonix MC Control

Dr. Wiggy

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 10/12/2011 5:56 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Again, so you can format parts and the full score differently.

Why the Page Format items are under the Document menu, not the Page Layout tool menu, .... meh.

Ancient Groove Music
www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Christopher Smith
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Christopher SmithAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 2290

Posted 10/12/2011 9:36 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I tried to post earlier, but for some reason the list clock is set WAY earlier than mine, so I am barred from re-posting not for 15 seconds, but several minutes.

Anyway, I don't usually reset the default page format, then Redefine pages. This is too much work for me across two different tools, and it is only effective if I ever plan on adding new pages to the document (which automatically take the defaults.) What I do instead is to use the Page Layout menu>Systems>Edit margins or Page Layout menu>Page Margins>Edit Margins. From these two dialogue boxes, you can redefine a range of pages or systems AND for a selection of only certain parts or score, and the changes take place immediately. This way, if I don't like something, I can change it again right away without changing to a different tool, the way you have to with the Default Page settings.

These are quite powerful tools, and are worth getting to know well.

Christopher Smith

Mac 2 x 2 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
OSX 10.6
Finale 2011b
or
Mac iBook G4 733 Mhz
OSX 10.4.11
Finale 2010b r.1

CCMP
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2005

Posted 10/12/2011 9:40 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Cristoph, I know this way... only the values in the Page Format don't change. So there are 2 (or more) fields that hold the information about margins!!! Not good

WWW.CCMP.NL

Euphonix MC Control

Writer of Music
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Writer of MusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2011
Total Posts : 848

Posted 10/12/2011 9:54 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The values in the Page Format pane are the global values for the document (that's why this option is in the Document menu). Fine tuning per page is best done as Christopher described.

Finale 2012.r3
Mac OS X 10.7.1, 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Dr. Wiggy

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 10/12/2011 9:56 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
And if you have "Update Page Layout for Score" selected in the Page Layout menu, then the values in Page Format will change to reflect anything you alter.

Ancient Groove Music
www.ancientgroove.co.uk

migman
Registered Member

Click to send migman email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to migmanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2000
Total Posts : 2432

Posted 10/12/2011 11:13 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think there's been a bit of confusion on this topic. CCMP, the thing you are looking for is Page Layout>Page Size. If you make your changes there and hit the OK button, they will apply right away without having to use Update Layout.

That said, I also advise you to consider using the two-step method, as it will set the default size for new pages to the settings you need, and you won't have to keep changing the new pages when they are created. But, as Wiggy points out, there is Page Layout>Update Page Format for Score which will take the settings from Layout>Page Size and copy them to the Page Format for Score window, so either will get you to the same place. Just make sure to uncheck Page Layout>Update Page Format for Score if you don't want to reset your defaults.

Finale 2008b • MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz • OS10.4.11 • 4GB Ram