Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > SmartMusic - FORUM HAS MOVED! > (No Subject)

Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

blackjack72
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to blackjack72AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 3

Posted 3/6/2005 4:43 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Has anyone tried to use Smart Music with XP Pro and an Audigy 2 Platinum EX? I find that the accompaniment does not follow my tempo changes and many times does not recognize the not that I am singing. (I did figure out that you have to change the octave for male/female) I found that an older soundblaster card works slightly better, however, I built this new computer specifically for this purpose. Tech support has said that they are aware of problems with the Audigy2 series and I am just wondering if anyone more tech oriented has found a solution. As far as I know, all my drivers and updates are curent.

Tyler
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TylerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 3586

Posted 3/6/2005 9:24 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What it's really going to come down to is whether or not the program is getting a clear wave sample from the sound card. Open the tuner in the program and sing a few pitches. Does it consistently pick at least something up? Does it lock in relatively well on pitches (voice in general jumps around more than other instruments, so it probably won't appear steady in the tuner). How much delay is there from when you start singing a note to when you see it identify the note? Play around with the mic level until you find the setting that makes the tuner work the absolute best. Then try it with the accompaniments.

If it works well with the tuner, then the problem probably isn't related to the sound card. If it doesn't, try using an instrument to test the program, such as a keyboard which plays a very steady pitch. A keyboard set to a sustaining sound should be rock solid with pitch rec. So if that doesn't work correctly, then perhaps something is going on with the mic.

Windows XP, all updates

blackjack72
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to blackjack72AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 3

Posted 3/7/2005 10:46 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Tyler. Part of the problem is that the mic level slider does not respond. However, using the mic gain on the Audigy's external control, I can adjust the mic level. Also, the radio button that lets you turn the "mic through speakers"option on/off does not appear in the player. The gain meter does register my voice and does adjust with the "mic in" gain. The person with whom I corresponded in tech support thought that the problem is in driver compatability.

Tyler
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TylerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 3586

Posted 3/7/2005 5:22 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, if you can't move the Mic slider, that does sound like there are some problems between the driver software and the SmartMusic software. You might try all combinations of output and input in the program, restarting SmartMusic after each change to see if there's any change. If you for example have built-in audio in addition to the Audigy, you might try to make that the output and the Audigy the input, or vice versa.

Windows XP, all updates