Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Printing Finale Users Manual  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Peter Bowron
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter BowronAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2016
Total Posts : 4

Posted 11/23/2016 12:04 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have used PrintMusic since around 2006. There was an option of printing up the user manual rather than looking at it on screen - the former is often easier as you can open a flip between pages easier & browse, rather than just take what comes up.

Having upgraded to Finale 2014 and installed on our Mac air, can anyone tell me if printing the manual for this is possible too, please - lack of screen space on the air is frustrating, but my older iMac doesn't have an OS that will take it!

Regards
peter

Post Edited (Peter Bowron) : 11/24/2016 5:05:32 AM (GMT-6)

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 11/23/2016 12:20 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Not as far as I know, sorry.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2014.5 on El Capitan
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

MikeHalloran
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MikeHalloranAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001
Total Posts : 217

Posted 11/23/2016 1:31 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Peter Bowron said...
I have used PrintMusic since around 2006. There was an option of printing up the user manual rather than looking at it on screen - the former is often easier as you can open a flip between pages easier & browse, rather than just take what comes up.

Having upgraded to Finale 2014 and installed on our Mac air, can anyone tell me if printing the manual for this is possible too, please - lack of screen space on the air is frustrating, but my older iMac doesn't have an OS that will take it!

Regards
peter
I's a PDF file and can be saved, even printed. Have lots of ink and paper—I do mean lots. At one page to a side, it will take nearly 4 reams of paper. Any idea how much ink you will need?

Back when you could still order a print copy for $20 (2004?), I made the mistake of doing so. It was nearly a ream of paper with the .pdf file printed 4 pages to each side of an 8.5"x11" piece of paper. What a useless waste. I needed a magnifier to read the pages. You can't search a hard copy like you can a .pdf.Last year, I needed the shelf space so off it went.

You can install the searchable .pdf file onto your iMac of any vintage. If you have an iPad, that's a good place too.

If you don't know how to save and download the 2014 User Guide, let us know. I'm on an iPad. When I'm back on my iMac, I can give you a tutorial.

Finale 25.1, 2014.5, 2011c, SmartScore X Pro II, Encore 5.07, GPO 5
2010 iMac i7, 32G RAM, 2T SSD, Late 2013 MacBook Air, OS 10.12.1
MOTU Digital Performer 9.12, 9.02, Logic Pro X 10.2.4

Post Edited (MikeHalloran) : 11/23/2016 12:48:33 AM (GMT-6)

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 11/23/2016 2:00 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The manual is a collection of HTML pages, and can be found in /Library/Application Support/MakeMusic/Finale 2014/Help Files/

But as Mike points out, printing it out will take a huge number of pages, and the files are not linear, (i.e. page after page after page).

You're better off buying a book like Finale Trailblazers.
www.trailblazerguides.com

Finale v.25.1, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.11.6 / 10.12.1)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Peter Bowron
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter BowronAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2016

Posted 11/23/2016 5:33 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Dr. Wiggy, MikeH & MikeR for your rapid repsonse. I have the trailblazers book, it is excellent, but it is not exhaustive. Printing out a non-linear PDf is not an option - A manual works because you treat subjects in a linear way, an it has a good set of contents (so you can find broad topics) and a good Index (so you can find specifics) - the PrintMusic Manual was like this, and I still use both it and the web guide. As MH pointed out, I can search the database on my IMac, and work on Finale on the Air, but is messy (that's what I do now.) I might try my iPad, that may be a better fit. When I get desk space I may add a 2nd monitor to the air to get some screen real estate.

Mike Rosen, I will book mark your tips page - thank you as all help is appreciated. If I get experienced enough I will send you anything I find that to me appears not obvious that I may discover or nut out!

If someone knows how to fix "Dinale" to "Finale" in the thread header, it would make more sense, LOL.

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 11/23/2016 8:21 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You can edit your post, including its title.
I understand your desire to have something linear but, as others have remarked, trying to print the manual is a gargantuan but futile effort. You could try printing out certain reference parts, like a list of key commands, or the picture guide of Finale features with reference to where to find information about them.

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 25, Sibelius 4 - 7
Patterson's plugins, Tobias' plugins, full version, waiting for Jari's plugin update
MacOS 10.12
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8 GB

Amsterdam

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 11/23/2016 9:10 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The Quick Reference Guide is still a PDF, and a very useful reminder of keypresses and functions. But it's far from being a complete mañuel.

Finale v.25.1, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.11.6 / 10.12.1)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Peter Bowron
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2016

Posted 11/24/2016 6:10 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Vaughan, thanks, I've learned something & fixed the title. Don't do forums much (like no-one can tell). Thanks again to everyone for helping a newbie, even if there is no satisfactory answer. Printing the QRG plus important pages from the manual as I find something is probably going to be the best option.