Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > How to enter a whole note in 5/4 time  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
40 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Reuben Ware
It's easier to have the last word----Yes dear!

Click to send Reuben Ware email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Reuben WareAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2000
Total Posts : 126

Posted 1/25/2013 10:39 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Is there some way to enter the whole note in 5/4 time (0) {or something like this} in Finale?

<B>Finale 2012C, Garritan JABB3, Garritan GPO4, Kurzweil PC88mx, Windows 7 Home Premium (32 bit)

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 1/25/2013 10:43 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Do you mean that you want to use one note symbol to represent 5 beats? I think this has been discussed here before, with much vigour.

There's almost certainly a way to present any sort of notation in Finale. The question is: will people know what you mean! :p

"This is me helping."

Finale 2012c, 2.6Ghz 2012 MacMini 16Gb RAM (10.8.2)
Edirol FA-66; M-Audio Oxygen 61; Yamaha PSR-410, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 1/25/2013 10:49 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dotted half tied to non-dotted half (or visa versa). Why would you want to do otherwise?

Finale 2012c with Garritan Personal Orchestra 4.0.
JABB 3 and Concert & Marching Band 2.
Steinway: basic. Garritan's Instant Orchestra.
Garritan World Instruments. TGTools Pro
Windows 7 Home Edition, AMD FX-8100 8-Core Processor, 10 GB RAM

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 7430

Posted 1/25/2013 11:01 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
of course you can easily enter a whole note in 5/4 time. But then of course you would have to fill out the missing beat since 5/4 requires the value of 5 quarter notes.

Ron is absolutely right with his solution of dotted half note tied to half note (or vice versa).

Finale (started with ver. 3.0) 2010, 2011, 2012b installed
Win XP
basically ALL Garritan sounds, plus XSample Chamber Ensemble.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." ~John Rogers

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 1/25/2013 11:32 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You could do it as a tuplet, 2 half notes in the space of 5 quarter notes, do not show bracket or number.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

WebMaster and bass for the Seattle SeaChordsmen www.seachordsmen.org
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finaletips.htm

Finale 2010, 2011, 2012 on Mac 10.7
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 1/25/2013 11:34 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike Rosen said...
You could do it as a tuplet, 2 half notes in the space of 5 quarter notes, do not show bracket or number.

Why? (Asked respectfully.)

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 1/25/2013 12:06 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Simply because it can be done. I am not ruling on whether it should be done, or not. If I did, there would be a whole lot of notational practices (particularly in the contemporary field) that I would question, as well.

At some point in the past, I thought we (the forum) would answer the question, while pointing out that it might not be the best solution. Let the poster decide whether to do it, or not.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Finale 2010, 2011, 2012c on Mac 10.8.2

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003

Posted 1/25/2013 12:06 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I also ask "why?"

if you make a tuplet over the whole note, why hide the values? what is the point? how is imprecise notation bringing anything to the page?
(I know you're just trying to answer the OP's question, Mike.... I guess we're being devils' advocates... bet you didn't know it was a whole law firm, eh?)

Win XP

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." ~John Rogers

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 3638

Posted 1/25/2013 12:17 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I took it mean he wanted just one regular whole note that represented 5 beats in the measure, similar to how you can put in a real whole rest that represents 5 beats.  I don't think it can be done like the rest can.  You could also just tie a whole to a quarter.  If playback is not an issue, you could have a 4/4 measure with a whole note "appear" as a 5/4 measure by using the "More Options" button in the "Time Signature" tool dialog box.

Dell XPS 600, GenuineIntel Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz [Intel64 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 4] (2 processors)
8GB Ram
HT Omega Striker 7.1
MSI N430GT 2GB GPU
1TB x 4 internal HD's

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Edition, (06.01.7600.00)
Finale 2012c.r13

Ron.
Composer

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 1/25/2013 12:24 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Here's a picture of how to do it. Note, you can omit the 4 and bracket if you wish. All I did was enter a whole note in a 5/4 measure, then goto the tuple tool and make it 4 quarters in the place of 5. However, I think it is a fair question to ask why someone would want to do something that is bound only to create confusion on the part of any musician encountering such notation.

onboard Beats Audio sound card

Administrator, The Compose Forums
Specializing in contemporary art music

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
4 in 5.png
  25KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 3580 time(s).

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 1/25/2013 12:33 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If one turns off "fill with rests," won't a simple whole note suffice?

Finale 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows XP

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 1/25/2013 12:57 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Motet,

Yes, but would not correct playback, i.e. a full 5 beats for the whole note still be a problem.

Ron,

It looks like your method of the whole note tuplet, but hide the number and bracket, it the best solution that fits both the look and playback.  It would not be a source of confusion to me for a notated single whole note in 5/4 to be held for 5 beats, similar to a whole rest in a 5/4 measure to represent 5 beats, or similarly a whole rest in a 3/4 measure to represent only 3 beats.  Just my opinion.  I don't think I've ever encountered such a 5/4 whole note in practice, though.

Dell XPS 600, GenuineIntel Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz [Intel64 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 4] (2 processors)
8GB Ram
HT Omega Striker 7.1
MSI N430GT 2GB GPU
1TB x 4 internal HD's

Finale 2012c.r13

RMK
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to RMKAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 1999
Total Posts : 187

Posted 1/25/2013 12:58 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I saw a notation once where the composer put a rhythm dot on the "wrong" side of the note (i.e. the left side) to indicate the addition of a quarter of the note it was attached to. So, one of these dots added to a whole note would indicate 5 beats.

I think it is a bad idea.

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 1/25/2013 1:19 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I agree with Mike's point that one should be able to notate a whole note filling a 5/4 measure if that's what one wishes to do, but I agree that Ron's solution (combination of half and dotted half tied) is not only the traditional solution but also helps the performer anticipate how the conductor will conduct the measure and the other players play it.

Finale 2012 - Windows 7
GPO 4, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full, (Sonar X1 Producer)

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

Ron.
Composer

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 1/25/2013 1:56 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Charles Lawrence said...
Motet,

Yes, but would not correct playback, i.e. a full 5 beats for the whole note still be a problem.

Ron,

It looks like your method of the whole note tuplet, but hide the number and bracket, it the best solution that fits both the look and playback. It would not be a source of confusion to me for a notated single whole note in 5/4 to be held for 5 beats, similar to a whole rest in a 5/4 measure to represent 5 beats, or similarly a whole rest in a 3/4 measure to represent only 3 beats. Just my opinion. I don't think I've ever encountered such a 5/4 whole note in practice, though.

If I encountered a single whole note in a 5/4 measure and no rests in sight, I would stop playing and ask the conduction where he would like me to put the rest: before the whole note, after it, or in the middle somewhere. But then, I'm a born Smart A**.

tbmartin
Yuba-Meister

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit tbmartin's website.Send a Private Message to tbmartinAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 1684

Posted 1/25/2013 2:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I would hate to see a whole note equaling 5 beats in 5/4. What do you then do if you really want a 4 beat note? Sure, the "emptiness" at the end would signal that it's to be held 5 beats, as opposed to the note or rest on beat 5 in the situation when it's only 4 beats, but talk about confusing!

It will admit that it is a logical contradiction to the whole rest meaning the entire bar is a rest, regardless of the time signature, but that's just the way it is.

I'm even hesitant to use double-dots on notes because it starts turning into a math problem with an answer that might not be obvious in the time you have to play the notes. I've found one exception to my own hesitancy, however. I'm currently working on a piece in 7/4 and I have no problem using a double-dotted whole note to fill a bar with one note that lasts the entire 7 beats. It's simple enough to see and because it's the only thing in the measure, the brain quickly says "one note fills the entire measure."

Terence
Saxophone Quartet Arranger
Using Finale 2003a, Windows XP Pro and Vista

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 1/25/2013 2:49 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm just trying to answer the O.P.'s question. If playback is an issue, then the tuplet with hidden number/shape.

Windows XP

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 1/25/2013 2:55 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
tbmartin said...
What do you then do if you really want a 4 beat note?
Then you would fill the measure with either rests or other notes to complete the 5 beats.  I'm not saying that notating a single whole note to fill five beats in a 5/4 measure is necessarily a good or proper thing to do, but if that is what was on the part I was playing, I think I would understand what was intended.

Ron. said...
I would stop playing and ask the conduction [sic] where he would like me to put the rest: before the whole note, after it, or in the middle somewhere.
The conductor might just tell you to hold the note out for 5 beats!rolleyes

8GB Ram
HT Omega Striker 7.1
MSI N430GT 2GB GPU
1TB x 4 internal HD's

Finale 2012c.r13

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2003

Posted 1/25/2013 3:01 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Charles Lawrence said...
Ron. said...
I would stop playing and ask the conduction [sic] where he would like me to put the rest: before the whole note, after it, or in the middle somewhere.
The conductor might just tell you to hold the note out for 5 beats! rolleyes

And in that instant you have wasted precious time and money in your rehearsal.
Do you KNOW that the conductor would also see this as an "oh, this must be one of those 5-beat whole notes"?
The conductor might waste time trying to see if there isn't something missing form the measure as well.

Wasted time = wasted money = wasted rehearsal = bad engraving.

Win XP

Ron.
Composer

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 1/25/2013 3:08 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Charles Lawrence said...
tbmartin said...

What do you then do if you really want a 4 beat note?
Then you would fill the measure with either rests or other notes to complete the 5 beats. I'm not saying that notating a single whole note to fill five beats in a 5/4 measure is necessarily a good or proper thing to do, but if that is what was on the part I was playing, I think I would understand what was intended.

Ron. said...

The conductor might just tell you to hold the note out for 5 beats! rolleyes

Maybe he would; maybe not. I'm not a mind reader, though I am capable, apparently, of embarrassing typos. lol

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 1/25/2013 3:19 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Do we know this is an orchestra piece?

Windows XP

Mircea
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MirceaAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableClick to Add mircea_fyn to Your Y! Friends List.Click to Add tv_mircea to your MSN Buddy List.
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 642

Posted 1/25/2013 5:35 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
idea What about us inventing and proposing a way of notating a full measure note. An variation of the whole note that would mean "play this measure throughout" in any meter, just like the whole measure rest. We (if found for the better of writing music) should include new notation ideas in the format of the old. Too many "new age" scoring techniques that stick for only one piece are accepted, why not something that adds to the traditional way of writing music?

But we have to move fast to be of any use for Reuben Ware. lol

„E tot ce va spun!”

Finale 2012
Win8 64Bit, Phenom II x4 965, 4GB RAM, Asus Xonar Xense Audio card, etc - a good powerful PC.

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 1/25/2013 6:09 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Let's just use the symbol "formerly known as Prince."

Finale 2012 - Windows 7
GPO 4, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full, (Sonar X1 Producer)

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

ttw
Registered Member

Click to send ttw email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ttwAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 776

Posted 1/25/2013 6:25 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mircea said...
idea What about us inventing and proposing a way of notating a full measure note. An variation of the whole note that would mean "play this measure throughout" in any meter, just like the whole measure rest. We (if found for the better of writing music) should include new notation ideas in the format of the old. Too many "new age" scoring techniques that stick for only one piece are accepted, why not something that adds to the traditional way of writing music?

But we have to move fast to be of any use for Reuben Ware. lol

Longa and maxima come to mind.

Finale 2011b & Finale 2012c
GWI, GPO 4, JABB 3, Steinway Basic
Vista Home Premium Gateway LX6810-01

Finale 2011b & Finale 2012c
GWI, GPO 4, JABB 3, Steinway Basic
Windows 7 Professional HP Pavillion dv7 Notebook

Mike Rosen
himself

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 1/25/2013 6:36 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ron. said...

If I encountered a single whole note in a 5/4 measure and no rests in sight, I would stop playing and ask the conduction where he would like me to put the rest: before the whole note, after it, or in the middle somewhere.

Or, he would tell you EXACTLY where to put it, much like why there is an angel on top of a Christmas tree... freaked

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Finale 2010, 2011, 2012c on Mac 10.8.2