Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > EPS, slurs, and smaller staff sizes  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

skleppin
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to skleppinAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 11

Posted 5/17/2005 12:00 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Finale 2004c, iMac running OSX.3.8 with Classic installed.

I'm using (as I always have) EPS files to export music examples to Word and other apps. If I resize a staff that contains slurs to less than 100% and then export a selection (not a page), I'm more likely than not to find that the slurs are missing from the resulting EPS file.

If the TOP staff has been resized, it's most likely to be missing slurs, even though slurs are preserved in other staves.

If I draw the selection box to include a LARGE top margin (more than two inches), the slurs will be maintained in the resulting EPS file.

If more than one staff has been resized, the slurs will almost always be missing from the top resized staff, and may or may not be absent from other staves. Sometimes certain slurs are preserved on a given staff while others are not!

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Can anyone replicate it? Is MakeMusic aware of this bug? Is there a workaround? (I know, I know, but TIFFs don't look as good on the printers I'm using.)

migman
Registered Member

Click to send migman email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to migmanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2000
Total Posts : 2432

Posted 5/17/2005 2:46 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I get the same result in 2004 and 2005, but not with 2003, so it must be something that started in 2004.

A workaround would be to export the whole page, and crop it in the app you are placing it into. I'm not sure you can do that in Word, but if you use page layout software like Quark or InDesign, it's a reasonable workaround.

If they have to be smaller than a page and you have Illustrator or Freehand, you could either crop them there, or apply a clipping mask.

I agree about not using Tiffs also.

pgburrucker
Registered Member

Click to send pgburrucker email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to pgburruckerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2000
Total Posts : 300

Posted 5/17/2005 3:42 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I make each page the smallest possible size around each eps, which means that I have files containing hundreds of assorted-sized pages which I use for eps export. The reason I don't leave each page at the default size and merely adjust margins is that it becomes very difficult to discern the previews of small eps files (QuarkXPress considers the entire page as an eps file's dimensions).

I use Finale 2004, and I haven't seen any slur problems using this method. The only problem I've seen concerning eps export in Finale 2004 (aside from the font inclusion mess) is that eps files (made from *upgraded* Finale files) are opaque even though they appear transparent in QuarkXPress. This provides some entertaining moments for the unsuspecting layout person who has just printed out a large QXP project containing hundreds of Finale-produced eps files. What is free time for, anyway?

Paul B.

migman
Registered Member

Click to send migman email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to migmanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2000
Total Posts : 2432

Posted 5/17/2005 4:26 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
pgburrucker said...
I make each page the smallest possible size around each eps

That's my method also. I like to use a margin of 4.5 points (1/16th") on each side, because the way PostScript defines lines, a line at the margin will have half of it's line weight on each side of the center point. This can cause the lines at the magin to appear half as thick as the other bar lines if placed in a Quark picture box that isn't a bit larger than it needs to be. I also fit the box to the size of the graphic, and that allows me to distribute and align the boxes in Quark with more precision. To place the box in Quark, I snap it to the margin guide, and set the nudge to 4.5 points.

Sebastian Huydts
Registered Member

Click to send Sebastian Huydts email.Click to visit Sebastian Huydts's website.Send a Private Message to Sebastian HuydtsAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 178

Posted 5/17/2005 5:48 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The problem has been noted about half a year before—it occurs only when you export a region of a page that contains staves that are set below 100% as EPS: In that case the first of the smaller sized staves will not show any smart shapes (slurs, cresc./dim., 8va etc.), subsequent staves contain everything. The problem started in F2004, has neither been addressed, nor acknowledged officially. Luckily, it is not a major problem—an easy enough workaround (exporting the entire page) exists, so you should just be aware. Both Word and Quark allow you to show only part of a graphic file

Sebastian Huydts

PB G4, 1.25 GHz, 1,256 MB Ram, OS10.3.9, Fin2005b

skleppin
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to skleppinAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 11

Posted 5/18/2005 10:22 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Aha! It hadn't occurred to me to try cropping the EPS file AFTER exporting it to Word. Now I can simply export an EPS of the system I want ALONG WITH the system just before it on the page (even if the first system is just a dummy system with no music in it). Then, after creating the EPS file and placing it in Word, I can crop out the system I don’t want to see. Since the export bug only affects slurs (and other smart shapes) in the FIRST system exported, all the slurs I need will appear in the system I keep!

Thanks to all. Never would have figured this out on my own!