Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Thank you, Makemusic for the alert.  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
28 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

gracenote
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to gracenoteAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2007
Total Posts : 339

Posted 9/29/2015 7:36 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
For those of us jumping at the bit to update to the new Mac operating system, it is helpful to hear that Finale 2014 has some problems.

Be honest, folks. Updating the first week an operating system comes out is not a good idea in general, unless you are testing the system for the company. I have experienced few pain-free updates. The e-mail from Makemusic just confirms what i, in the back of mind, already know: That an OS update is better months after the public release. Software companies work out the bugs and the creator of the OS work out the bugs.

In the future, I hope Makemusic continues to send these type of e-mails. I rely heavily on their program and an urging of patience to avoid issues is not harmful in the least.

GN

Specs: Mac Mini, OS 10.10.x; 2.5ghz,16GB ram

Finale 2014d, Casio Privia 330 88keys (with MIDI PIPE software to make it work.)

OCTO.
The radical answers.

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to OCTO.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 2659

Posted 9/29/2015 8:10 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I haven't got any email.

Finale 2009c now (works better than 2011c) on OS X 10.6.8 and not thinking to upgrade any more until both computers die completely (iMac 21', MacBook Pro 13').

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill StevensAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 5408

Posted 9/29/2015 8:33 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike Rosen copied the e-mail in his posting titled EL CAPITAN AND 2014 IMPORTANT!!!

Bill

Finale 2014d (all versions since 1.0)
Finally made the move from my trusty 2011c
Staff Paper and #1 Blackwing Pencil with eraser
OS 10.9.4 on one, 10.10.3 on another

gracenote
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to gracenoteAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2007

Posted 9/29/2015 3:16 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OCTO. said...
I haven't got any email.

Possibly because I have registered Finale 2014 with Makemusic, perhaps?

Whatever the problems are, it is stumbling block for people who will buying new computers with El Capitan already installed. Yosemite was an excellent music update. I hope this isn't a sign pointing to a "Not-Ready-For-Primetime" update. We have had some rocky updates in the Apple world.

GN

Finale 2014d, Casio Privia 330 88keys (with a standard MIDI cable to make it work.)

David Ward
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit David Ward's website.Send a Private Message to David WardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2009
Total Posts : 2834

Posted 9/29/2015 4:16 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have not received the e-mail either, although I registered F 2014 with MM in November 2013 (according to the information visible when I log in to my MM account). There seem to be two options to tick (or not) in the options for receiving e-mail notifications in the account preferences: I have the first ticked, but not the second, although I wouldn't expect that to make any difference.

David Ward
www.composers-uk.com/davidward

Finale 2014d with Mac 10.9.5
Finale 2010b with Mac 10.6.8
full TGTools

Since 2001 have used F 2001, 2003, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2014

“We enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.” JFK

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 9/29/2015 5:29 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It shouldn't have mattered if you were opted in or not. According to the letter:

Because this OS change could impact every Finale 2014 user, we are contacting all Finale 2014 users, including those who have opted out of email in the past. Please take this opportunity to update your email preferences.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2010, 2011, 2012c, 2014d, on Yosemite 10.10.4
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Mark Adler
MakeMusic, Inc.

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Mark AdlerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2013
Total Posts : 364

Posted 9/29/2015 5:35 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The e-mail was sent to all registered Finale 2014 users. If you didn't receive an e-mail update, I'd suggest signing into your MakeMusic account and verifying that your contact information is up to date. You might also check your spam folder to see if MM e-mails are getting filtered out.

Mark F. Adler
Notation Product Manager
MakeMusic, Inc.

David Ward
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit David Ward's website.Send a Private Message to David WardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2009

Posted 9/29/2015 6:03 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mark Adler said...
The e-mail was sent to all registered Finale 2014 users. If you didn't receive an e-mail update, I'd suggest signing into your MakeMusic account and verifying that your contact information is up to date. You might also check your spam folder to see if MM e-mails are getting filtered out.
The e-mail address shown when I log into my MM account is correct and I don't have a SPAM folder (I delete them manually). Also, I have received previous communications to that e-mail address from MM.

David Ward

full TGTools

Christopher Smith
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Christopher SmithAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 2290

Posted 9/29/2015 6:19 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mark Adler said...

No email in my box either, nor my junk folder.

Christopher Smith

Mac 2 x 2 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
OSX 10.7.5
Finale 2012c r.13
or
Mac iBook G4 733 Mhz
OSX 10.4.11
Finale 2010b r.1

Writer of Music
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Writer of MusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2011
Total Posts : 848

Posted 9/30/2015 3:21 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Plus one: contact information up to date, no mail removed as junk mail, no mail received.

Reluctantly accepting Finale 2014, despite all its bugs and flaws. Because I have to, not because I want to.
Mac OS X 10.10.5.

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 9/30/2015 3:54 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Same here. Grrr. Just wrote to MM.

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 2014d, Sibelius 4 - 7
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Dolet 6 plugin
MacOS 10.10.5
MacPro 6GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8GB

Amsterdam

David Toft
DT

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to David ToftAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2002
Total Posts : 15

Posted 9/30/2015 4:00 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That's a ditto from me too.

David

Vista 64-bit; Finale 2014

Farinatio
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to FarinatioAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2000
Total Posts : 57

Posted 9/30/2015 7:38 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Plus one more here in Belgium...

I find it a little bit disturbing that this kind of mails never seem to reach me.
Other users often mention update options to new Finale versions offered per mail, here: nihil!

In spite of being a very convinced Finalist and evangelist since 1990 (Fin mac 2.6.3), I have to complain once about this treatment!

Ugh, having spoken I feel lighter.

Jan.

Finale User since 1990, mainly notating early and choral music...
Fin Mac 2.6.3 - Fin Mac 2014...

Specs: iMac 27", Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.06 Ghz, 12GB Ram, Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, Finale 2014d, Keystation 49E Midi controller + Alu MacBookPro 15" Retina, Intel Core i7, 2.6 Ghz, 16Gb Ram, Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, Finale 2014d

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 3638

Posted 9/30/2015 8:06 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, I received the email on 9/28, and I don't even use a Mac.  Go figure.

Hope this doesn't violate any forum policy, but since this is important to you Mac folks, I have attached a TXT of the email.

"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!"

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5930K CPU with 6 dual core processors @ 3.50 GHz (12 threads)

32 GB RAM

Realtek High Definition on board audio
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 GPU with 4GB ram

512 GB SSD system disk

Four 4TB and one 1TB internal SATA HD's
Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional with Media Center x64 Edition, (06.03.9600.00)
Finale versions: 2011b.r2, 2012c.r13, 2014d.v5030

GPO4.02

Cakewalk SONAR X3

"There is a world of difference between a person who has a big problem and a person who makes a problem big." – John Maxwell

Post Edited (Charles Lawrence) : 9/30/2015 8:15:03 AM (GMT-5)

File Attachment :
Don't Update Your Mac OS Yet.txt   2KB (text/plain)
This file has been downloaded 274 time(s).

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 9/30/2015 9:23 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I also am an exclusively Windows user and received the e-mail. I guess I should warn all my Mac Finale user friends.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014c at present. Now 2014d.
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

David Ward
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2009

Posted 9/30/2015 9:49 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Unless I'm mistaken, I think that registered users of F 2014 who have US addresses have received the warning e-mail, but perhaps not many of the rest of us.

David Ward

full TGTools

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 9/30/2015 10:21 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The sticky thread at the top of the Mac forum has the announcement.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014c at present. Now 2014d.
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Mark Adler
MakeMusic, Inc.

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Mark AdlerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2013
Total Posts : 364

Posted 9/30/2015 11:25 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The El Capitan announcement was sent to all Finale 2014 and PrintMusic 2014 registered users, both Mac and Windows. If you are a US resident and did not receive the e-mail, please feel free to let Scott Yoho know, he will look into the issue and make sure that you are signed up for future e-mails.

Mark F. Adler
Notation Product Manager
MakeMusic, Inc.

Scott at MakeMusic
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Scott at MakeMusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 61

Posted 9/30/2015 5:19 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'd like to thank everyone who emailed me about not receiving the El Capitan notice email. Your emails quickly identified the problem. We sent the email to every Finale 2014 and PrintMusic 2014 owner to whom we would send promotional emails, and we also included those who have opted out of promotional emails.

However, it's been some time since we sent any bulk emails outside the US. This is largely the product of ever-increasing anti-spam laws around the world. While we are looking into being able to again include Canada in our promotional and transactional emails, I don't anticipate we will be able send these types of bulk emails to other countries any time soon.

In the meantime, to keep current on Finale news, I'd suggest subscribing to the Finale blog. To do so click on the SUBSCRIBE link in the upper right corner of our blog home page: http://www.finalemusic.com/blog/

The blog subscription is handled by Google's Feedburner service. While I don't know what their policy is regarding other counties, I suspect it's more inclusive than ours, and it's easy to test: you'll know if this solution will work for you within a day of our next Finale blog post.

Scott at MakeMusic

Post Edited (Scott at MakeMusic) : 9/30/2015 5:23:40 PM (GMT-5)

David Ward
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2009

Posted 10/21/2015 10:43 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Scott at MakeMusic said...
… … …I don't anticipate we will be able send these types of bulk emails to other countries any time soon.… … …I'd suggest subscribing to the Finale blog… … …you'll know if this solution will work for you within a day of our next Finale blog post.
I confirm that today I have indeed received here in the UK the relevant notice of the latest Finale blog post about F 2014 and OS 10.11.

David Ward

full TGTools

Scott at MakeMusic
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Scott at MakeMusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 10/21/2015 11:02 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi David,

I'm glad to hear that subscribing to the blog works for you. I hope that other Finale users outside of the US will subscribe to the blog to stay in touch as well.

Scott at MakeMusic

gracenote
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2007

Posted 10/21/2015 3:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There must be a full moon. The makers of iZotope plugins also sent me a warning message advising against upgrading. This is the first time EVER I have received such notices before an OS upgrade. Is Apple's newest version not playing well with others?

GN

Finale 2014d, Casio Privia 330 88keys (with a standard MIDI cable to make it work.)

Scott at MakeMusic
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 10/21/2015 3:46 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's my understanding that the list of incompatible software is pretty significant. I've heard unsubstantiated rumors that even Apple software (Final Cut Pro?) is on this list. The good news is that it appears that Apple is making headway on the problem: http://www.finalemusic.com/blog/finale-and-os-x-el-capitan-update/

Scott at MakeMusic

Post Edited (Scott at MakeMusic) : 10/21/2015 5:58:26 PM (GMT-5)

jim dukey
Registered Member

Click to send jim dukey email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to jim dukeyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 1082

Posted 10/21/2015 4:36 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mytek Dacs aren't compatible w/ElCap either.

Molecular Computer, Powered by Fusion in a Jar. Finale 3000, Wireless ESP Module, No Physical Interface, Printed Parts Manifest by The Universe,
SOOOO Boring! Now Everybody is Friggin' Mozart.

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 10/22/2015 3:33 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Neither is MS Office 2016, which is messing up a lot of people's workflow. I've actually never had problems with system updates and I certainly would have updated (typically on only one of the computers first, just to be sure) if we hadn't received the warning. Interestingly, it seems that some Mac users have updated without problems.

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 2014d, Sibelius 4 - 7
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Dolet 6 plugin
MacOS 10.10.5
MacPro 6GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8GB

Amsterdam