Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Secondary beaming over hidden rests  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

RoyU
Registered Member

Click to send RoyU email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to RoyUAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2001
Total Posts : 17

Posted 3/30/2002 2:02 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I know how to make Finale draw secondary beams over rests. But if I hide those rests, the secondary beams break even though I have chosen the option to make secondary beams go over rests. The reason I need to hide the rests is that this is a violin line of sixteenths where every other note is the open "E" string and violinists have an easier time distinguishing the open "E"s from the moving line if they are separately beamed (and stems going one way for the "E"s and the other for the melodic line). So can anyone tell me how to make those secondary beams go over hidden rests?

David Young : chambermusic
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to David Young : chambermusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2000
Total Posts : 2694

Posted 3/30/2002 2:41 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There is an interesting passage of such notes early in the first movement of Dvorak's violin concerto. I wonder how they are beamed there?

David Young

GT
It was some other guy.

Click to send GT email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to GTAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001
Total Posts : 1434

Posted 3/30/2002 4:32 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, to do the attached, I entered all notes—no rests. Then I hid the appropriate notes—the first note in the stems-up groups and the last note in the stems-down groups. I then used the Special Tools Note Shape tool to turn the middle note head of each group into an "empty" shape (#202). I then created a custom stem which also consisted of an empty space and applied that to the middle stem of each group.

It's a PIA for sure, hence the name of the file. But it'll get you through the night, anyway. (I'd hate to have to do this on an extended passage, though.)

I wonder if any of the other folks out there might have an easier way to do it...

Cheers.

Gary

annacrusis
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to annacrusisAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2001
Total Posts : 412

Posted 3/30/2002 6:18 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think this is a case where one could profitably use tuplet trickery. In the attached:

In Layer 1, I entered an initial 16th rest, then eight 16th notes. Then I turned the first seven of the eight notes into a tuplet of seven 16ths in the place of fourteen 16ths. The leading rest is hidden.

In Layer 2, I entered eight 16th notes and turned them into a tuplet of eight 16ths in the place of sixteen 16ths.

Of course, in real life one would specify 'nothing' for the tuplet number and bracket, I just left them up so you could see what was done.

Now maybe somebody can explain why the spacing of the initial two 16th notes is different from the even spacing elsewhere.

Anna

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 3/31/2002 12:32 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As Jesper Hendze pointed out some months ago, you can also achieve this beaming with the Special Tools Tool's Beam Extension Tool.
And I think that Jesper's method is easier:

1. Enter in Layer 1 16th rest, 16th note, 16th rest, 16th note a.s.o.
Hide the rests (Speedy Entry Tool: letter O key).
2. Enter in Layer 2 16th note, 16th rest, 16th note, 16th rest a.s.o.
Hide the rests.
3. Special Tools Tool: Beam Extension Tool.
Click the first measure. Double-click the first handle.
In the Beam Extension Selection dialog box, UNCHECK "8th", and check "16th". Click OK.
Extend the beam with the RightArrow key.

When you have finished the first measure, you can copy it to the second measure with the Mass Mover Tool's Ctrl-Shift-click trick.

If you have other measures already created with steps 1 and 2, but with other pitches, you may prefer to copy only the beam extensions:
Mass Mover menu > Copy Entry Items...
Check "Beam Extensions".

Peter

GT
It was some other guy.

Click to send GT email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to GTAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001
Total Posts : 1434

Posted 3/31/2002 3:13 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well done, Anna and Peter!

Just goes to show you, there is always more than one way to accomplish something in Finale...

Cheers.

Gary

Jesper Hendze
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jesper HendzeAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 364

Posted 3/31/2002 8:38 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On 3/30/2002 11:18:00 PM, Anna Crusis wrote:
>I think this is a case where
>one could profitably use
>tuplet trickery. In the
>attached:
>
>In Layer 1, I entered an
>initial 16th rest, then eight
>16th notes. Then I turned the
>first seven of the eight notes
>into a tuplet of seven 16ths
>in the place of fourteen
>16ths. The leading rest is
>hidden.

>Now maybe somebody can explain
>why the spacing of the initial
>two 16th notes is different
>from the even spacing
>elsewhere.

- Apparently the new Finale 2002 Music Spacing Option, "Ignore Hidden Notes" (which you had appropriately checked) doesn't quite work.

If you hide two 32nd rests instead of the 16th you get even more room for the first note.

I tried making a 4/4 measure with all eight notes in layer 1 and eight 16th notes + four eight notes in layer 2: when hiding the 16th notes the space for accidentals is removed but not all of the space for the note itself.

I'll report this.

Jesper

RoyU
Registered Member

Click to send RoyU email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to RoyUAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2001
Total Posts : 17

Posted 4/1/2002 4:07 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the several ways to achieve this. I am using the extend secondary beams method since it can be copied to already-entered notes and this particular pattern continues for some measures. However, I have already discovered that the extension method is not foolproof: when music in another staff causes the separation between two sixteenths to increase more than the extension amount, a gap appears.

Also, unless someone can suggest why the "extend secondary beams over rests" option should be prevented from working when rests are invisible, I intend to request that Coda make the extension work whether the rests are invisible or not.

Roy