Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Advancing measures without mouse?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

seedmuse
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to seedmuseAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2001
Total Posts : 43

Posted 6/23/2002 5:38 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Advancing measures without mouse?

Is there a keyboard shortcut for the above? I can't think of a program that won't give me some option to do this without going to the scroll buttons with my mouse. Who's got a workaround?

MP

Jon Delfin
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jon DelfinAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1999
Total Posts : 783

Posted 6/23/2002 6:31 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In Speedy, with box open, ] to move right, [ to move left. Otherwise, ctrl-u will highlight measure box at bottom of screen. Type target measure number, hit enter.

Snorlax
Registered Member

Click to send Snorlax email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SnorlaxAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 500

Posted 6/23/2002 6:32 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Matthew...
Assuming that you are in Speedy Entry, you can set Finale to advance automatically in the Speedy menu: Speedy>Jump to Next Measure

OR: You can use the [ and ] keys to advance a measure.

If you are page view you can type in a page number into the box on the left of the scroll bar; if you are in scroll view, you can type a measure number into the box on the left of the scroll bar.

Jim Williams
TubaShop Quartet
N9EJR

seedmuse
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to seedmuseAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2001

Posted 6/23/2002 6:42 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks guys but that's not it.

I want to be in Scroll View and I want to advance the score forward without having to go to the horizontal arrow at the lower right hand corner of the screen.

MP

Ward Baxter
Mercenary of Music

Click to send Ward Baxter email.Click to visit Ward Baxter's website.Send a Private Message to Ward BaxterAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 1999
Total Posts : 280

Posted 6/23/2002 5:06 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I second that. I have even tried setting up a quickeys macro, and have had no success. I'd just like to be able to scroll right in scroll view. Not a big deal, but the less time I have to jump around with the mouse, the more productive I seem to become.

Per Ottar Gjerstad
Registered Member

Click to send Per Ottar Gjerstad email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Per Ottar GjerstadAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2000
Total Posts : 132

Posted 6/23/2002 9:21 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi,

I have a mouse with two wheels, one for horizontal scrolling, the other for vertical scrolling. This is perfect in Finale's scroll view. And I can also decide how many measures each movement will scroll the score. Highly recommended!

Per Ottar Gjerstad

Lasse Paasikko
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Lasse PaasikkoAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 268

Posted 6/23/2002 11:01 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ward

I have used QuicKeys for years to scroll measures such way. I use one command to proceed one measure at a time and another to move more.
Just make a shortcut where You click the "right arrowhead" in the right bottom corner of the Finale window. Then choose "Click relative to screen" and Window: "Any" in the QK dialogue. That proceeds You one measure to right. (I use keystroke "alt - right arrow")
To move more measures at a time make a shortcut where You click for right of the bottom scroll bar. ( I use "ctrl-right arrow)
Have used these since version 98 and they have become like another nature so I NEVER use mouse for scrolling.
In Page Mode I use similar shotcuts to move to next page, last page ,.. and so on.
Hope this helps You guys...

Lasse

Lasse Paasikko
Nuottigrafiikka LP

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Click to send Jari Williamsson email.Click to visit Jari Williamsson's website.Send a Private Message to Jari WilliamssonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 3246

Posted 6/24/2002 12:52 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On 6/23/2002 10:06:00 PM, Ward Baxter wrote:
>I second that. I have even
>tried setting up a quickeys
>macro, and have had no
>success. I'd just like to be
>able to scroll right in scroll
>view. Not a big deal, but the
>less time I have to jump
>around with the mouse, the
>more productive I seem to
>become.

Here's a keyboard-only macro that will scroll one measure to the right in Scroll View:
[Alt]+U
[Arrow Up]
[Enter]

Replace [Arrow Up] with [Arrow Down] in the macro to scroll to the left.

Best regards,

Jari Williamsson

seedmuse
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2001

Posted 6/24/2002 6:12 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Very good Jari.

What is your trick for getting to the different tools faster?

Do you have a full list of the shortcuts you use somewhere? Then I can program these into the TGTools>Menu Shortcuts...

Matthew

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Click to send Jari Williamsson email.Click to visit Jari Williamsson's website.Send a Private Message to Jari WilliamssonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 6/24/2002 6:44 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On 6/24/2002 11:12:00 AM, Matthew Pierce wrote:
>What is your trick for getting
>to the different tools faster?

There are many options here:
* Finale itself supports programmable function keys for tool switching, much like metatools. Note that these settings are _document-specific_. If you have Fin2003, you'll very soon be able to transfer these settings easily to your other documents with the Settings Transfer component in the Forza! plug-in.

* If you display the "Tools" menu in Finale (setting available in "Options/Program Options"), you can use any macro program (including TGTools' keyboard remapper) to program a key for tool switching.

* The Quick Navigator in Forza! can be programmed for tool switching.

Best regards,

Jari Williamsson

dan1937
Registered Member

Click to send dan1937 email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to dan1937AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2000
Total Posts : 157

Posted 6/24/2002 9:05 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jari's post concerning using the up or down arrow keys will work nicely as QuicKeys sequences, also.

seedmuse
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2001

Posted 6/24/2002 12:08 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you Jari, again.

The _document specific_ issue would have frustrated me to no end as now I have discovered how to program those metatools to change tools. I will do it now in the TGTools plug in instead.

I went to the site and discovered Forza! It looks promising but my goodness, why won't Finale work on its sequencing and gui systems? The right button should advance the score right. The space bar should play the file. Every other program on the planet does this.

Matthew

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 6/24/2002 12:34 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On 6/24/2002 5:08:00 PM, Matthew Pierce wrote:
> why
>won't Finale work on its
>sequencing and gui systems?
>The right button should
>advance the score right.

You mean the right arrow key? I could agree to that.

> The
>space bar should play the
>file.

It does. Read the on-line reference on how to use the difference variants of spacebar playbacks.

> Every other program on
>the planet does this.

Not a good enough reason IMO. And Adobe's products [for example] use the spacebar for zoom and hand grabber.

Best regards,

Jari Williamsson

seedmuse
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2001

Posted 6/24/2002 12:54 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jari,

Yes, right arrow key.

Ok, that was a gross generalization. I found the spacebar playback shortcuts in the online help and think they are pretty smart.

MP