Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > change instrument mid-score, BUT say piano to flute  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Joseph.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Joseph.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2011
Total Posts : 212

Posted 2/1/2016 12:30 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have a piano part that I want to change mid-score to a flute part. AFAIK, Finale has no easy way of doing this because it will only allow you to select instruments to change to that have the SAME NUMBER of staves (flute to tuba... or piano to marimba).

Is there a clever work around to keep things easy visually in the score and part?

Windows 7 Finale 2012c

Finale Hotkey Grid - free, open source, and mostly... a work in progress.
/github.com/jsphweid/Finale-Hotkey-Grid

Another macro to make booklets effortlessly...
/github.com/jsphweid/bookletMacro

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 2/1/2016 12:34 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This has been discussed recently in another thread. The way I suggest to do it is to create the Piano the old fashioned way by using 2 independent staves and group them in the score (not as a set in the Score Manager). Then, you can change the top staff to flute and hide the bottom staff.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Post Edited (Zuill) : 1/31/2016 11:51:15 PM (GMT-6)

File Attachment :
Piano to Flute and Back Again for 2012.mus   41KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 345 time(s).

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 2/1/2016 2:00 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As far As I Can Tell, it is not necessary to create a new Piano part “the old fashioned way by using 2 independent staves and group them in the score”, and then copy/paste the music into the new Piano part.

If the piano part has already been created (perhaps via the Setup Wizard), then you can change the playback sound to a 1-staff instrument (e. g. Flute) via the ScoreManager’s Instrument List.
This step will “break” the Change Instrument utility’s limitation of only being able to change to other 2-staff instruments.
When you have changed the playback sound to Flute, you can select one staff *), and use the Change Instrument Utility on that staff.

*) You must select the entire staff, all the measures: Click to the left of the staff.

When you have used the Change Instrument utility on one staff, the “staff coupling” is completely broken, and you can freely use the Change Instrument utility on any selected measure region.
You can also use the ScoreManager to change playback instrument on any measure region.

Peter

Mac Finale, 2012c, 2014d & 2014.5, Dolet 6.6 plug-in, Mac OS X 10.9.5, iMac Intel Core i7, 2.93 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Post Edited (Peter Thomsen) : 2/1/2016 1:08:32 AM (GMT-6)

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 2/1/2016 10:56 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
@Peter,

I will have to experiment with that, not so much because I would ever change a piano to a flute, but in certain percussion situations I might well want to change a Vibraphone to a Glock. Thanks for the tip.

Finale 2014d - Windows 7
GPO 4, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full, (Sonar Platinum)

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 2/1/2016 12:03 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Peter's method is basically the same as mine. It actually adds a bit more work, as you don't really want Flute all the way through, so you still have to use the change instrument utility for all the non flute measures, or call it a blank staff instead, which is how the old fashioned way does it. Also, you need to undo the group and bracket on systems where only the flute staff is showing. It's better just to delete the entire group, and then manually apply the group to those measures that need it. So, when it comes down to it, it is really doing things the old fashioned way after all.

Zuill

P.S.: To be more precise, use Peter's method on an existing piano part, but choose Blank Staff instead of Flute. Then, after you have applied the Flute to the needed measures via the Change Instrument utility, do the Group adjustments I outlined.

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"