Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > RealScore font problem since Finale 2014.5  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Lasse Paasikko
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Lasse PaasikkoAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 268

Posted 12/15/2016 2:59 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello forum

I have tried to figure this out by my own but have to raise my hands now and ask for help.

Have used the RealScore font family with great success with Fin 2012 and 2014, but since 2014.5 and continuing with Finale 25.2 SOME of those fonts, including the main music font RealScore (and RealScoreMM, Real Score Metronome, RealScore Special, RealScore Time) show only as ’hieroglyphs’ – but text fonts: RealScore Title, RealScore Chords, RealScore Marks, RealScore script, RealScore Text show properly. All these fonts show ok in Font Book and work fine in applications like Word or InDesign. I work with IMac with OS10.10.5 and MackBook Pro OS 10.11.2 - same problem with both machines with Fin 2014.5 and Fin 25 BUT with Fin 2012 and 2014 they show up perfectly.

This far I have tried to add the fonts to the ’Mac Symbol Fonts’ list several times and generated new Font Annotation files with no help.

The RealScore homepage seems to be down so I have not been able to contact them.

Is there somebody who succeeds to work with these fonts in current Finale versions?
Any help appreciated..

Lasse

Mac Finale 25.2, 2014.5, 2014, 2012, Sibelius 7, Cubase 8.5, WaveLab 8, TGTools. QuicKeys, GPO, GPO JABB
IMac 24' 4GB Ram, MacBook Pro 13' 4GB Ram, Kurzweil PC3K8, Roland Integra 7, Yamaha MOFX6, Behringer x32

Post Edited (Lasse Paasikko) : 12/15/2016 2:25:27 PM (GMT-6)

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 12/16/2016 2:27 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'd suggest you contact Make Music and ask them for a solution. They seem to have broken Finale's ability to handle fonts. I have fonts that work perfectly in Finale 2011. In 2012, some errors appeared but are able to be worked around. In 2014 and 2014.5 font handling for the fonts in question was completely broken. That's why all of my work is done on Finale 2012.

I think Make Music is aware of these problems, but have not reached out to users, with the result that those affected are usually completely in the dark. It's a shame, and a shame on their company.

N.

OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
Finale 2011c, 2012c for production work

Finale 2014.5, not used by my clients

(Finale v25 - not interested yet)

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 8GB RAM
New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

"At last, fortissimo!"
–Gustav Mahler, on visiting Niagara Falls

Mike Halloran
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Mike HalloranAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2009
Total Posts : 105

Posted 12/16/2016 9:55 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If the font does not follow the Apple toolkit so that it is compatible with 64bit only applications, Finale 25 will not be able to use it. Carbon based fonts cannot work in 64 bit, for example. Were these done in Carbon instead of Cocoa?

/discussions.apple.com/thread/149578?start=0&tstart=0

It appears that RealScore was written in 2011 and hasn't been updated since.

alerting MakeMusic is unlikely to do much good here.

Mike Halloran

Finale 25.1 & 2014.5, SmartScore X Pro II, Encore 5.0.7
2010 iMac 2.93G i7 Quad w/ OWC eSATA mod, 20G RAM, OS 10.12.1, 2T SSD
DP 9.1, 8.07, 7.24, Logic Pro X 10.2.4, DSP-Quattro, PSP, IK, NI, Eventide, Izotope & Antares plugins
G4 running OS 10.4.11 & 9.2 with legacy apps

Mike Halloran
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Mike HalloranAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2009
Total Posts : 105

Posted 12/16/2016 10:11 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
N. Grossingink said...
I'd suggest you contact Make Music and ask them for a solution. They seem to have broken Finale's ability to handle fonts. I have fonts that work perfectly in Finale 2011. In 2012, some errors appeared but are able to be worked around. In 2014 and 2014.5 font handling for the fonts in question was completely broken. That's why all of my work is done on Finale 2012.

I think Make Music is aware of these problems, but have not reached out to users, with the result that those affected are usually completely in the dark. It's a shame, and a shame on their company.

N.

Nonsense.

Font development and compiling is pretty easy. Practically anybody can. That is also the problem: practically anybody does. If the developer doesn't keep up to date, use compatible programming languages and follow the Apple Developers Toolkit, what worked in Finale 2011 could very easily fail in 2014/2014.5/25.

That is not MakeMusic's fault. Nor is it Apple's. The developer who hasn't recompiled in 5 or 6 years... that's where the problem is. If it was free or cheapware and the developer has no interest in updating, you have choices to make whether to continue or abandon ship. Apple wrote this in 2012 to help developers make the transition:
/developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/Darwin/Conceptual/64bitPorting/intro/intro.html

You see, errors in 2012 and not working in 2014 or 25 are symptoms of the problem. The problem is the old code. Carbon fonts, for example, will show up in Font Book.app even if many applications can no longer use them.

Now, if the fonts you like to use no longer work after 2012, that's ok. No one forces you to upgrade—why would you if everything is otherwise fine?

Not everyone is you, however.

Mike Halloran

Finale 25.1 & 2014.5, SmartScore X Pro II, Encore 5.0.7
2010 iMac 2.93G i7 Quad w/ OWC eSATA mod, 20G RAM, OS 10.12.1, 2T SSD
DP 9.1, 8.07, 7.24, Logic Pro X 10.2.4, DSP-Quattro, PSP, IK, NI, Eventide, Izotope & Antares plugins
G4 running OS 10.4.11 & 9.2 with legacy apps

Post Edited (Mike Halloran) : 12/16/2016 9:29:39 PM (GMT-6)

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted Yesterday 8:09 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike Halloran said...
Font development and compiling is pretty easy. Practically anybody can.

Well, I'm not practically anybody.

If you would be willing to recompile a font for me, so that it works in the latest Finale versions, shoot me a personal message. We'll agree on an appropriate fee and other particulars. If it works, it's likely I could send you additional work, if you like.

N.

OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
Finale 2011c, 2012c for production work

Finale 2014.5, not used by my clients

(Finale v25 - not interested yet)

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 8GB RAM
New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

"At last, fortissimo!"
–Gustav Mahler, on visiting Niagara Falls

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted Yesterday 9:38 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike Halloran said...
If the font does not follow the Apple toolkit so that it is compatible with 64bit only applications, Finale 25 will not be able to use it. Carbon based fonts cannot work in 64 bit, for example. Were these done in Carbon instead of Cocoa?
/discussions.apple.com/thread/149578?start=0&tstart=0

I think you have that backwards. There's no such thing as a "Carbon-based font" -- the complaint in the thread you linked is that fonts work in Carbon apps, but not in Cocoa ones. It's also an old thread from 2005 relating to OS X Tiger, which was limited in its use of 64-bit architecture.

Either way, Apple continues to claim support for Type 1 PS fonts, which go back to the dawn of time. I don't think Apple have deprecated any font formats. (Adobe deprecated Multiple Masters, however). Unlike other software, fonts shouldn't need recompiling to keep up, as long as they conform to the standard: I have Adobe Type 1s from 1993 that still work in Sierra.

So a 64-bit Cocoa app that follows Apple's APIs should still handle a non-Unicode 8-bit font. If it doesn't, then there's a problem somewhere -- either in the OS or in the app. It's also true that fonts can be wrongly implemented, and later environments can be more choosy about parsing font data more precisely.

Finale 2012 introduced Unicode, of course, which may have had some effect on how fonts were handled. There was also a bug introduced in 2011, I think, in how Finale dealt with font styles and typeface families, which has been corrected in Finale 25, though the correction means that documents created before the fix need to be adjusted.

I don't have the Real Fonts, so can't speak for their integrity, but I'd be interested to know what fonts are broken for N. and whether they work in Finale 25. I was using a variety of fonts in different formats through 2012, 2014 and 2014.5 and haven't noticed any brokenness. (There was something about NCS Fractions, which related to selecting the typeface....)

Finale v.25.1, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.11.6 / 10.12.1)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Post Edited (Dr. Wiggy) : 12/17/2016 9:01:28 AM (GMT-6)