Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Change existing tuplets globally  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

pjbishop
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to pjbishopAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001
Total Posts : 17

Posted 4/4/2002 2:35 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm transcribing 19th century music for a critical edition (for someone else). For the first pass, I need to remain faithful to the notation, expressions, etc.

This particular piece notates the 6 for a 6-note tuplet in the first two measures then drops it for the remainder of the piece. I wasn't paying close enough attention and now I have the entire piece with the 6 over/under the tuplets. I need to get rid of them.

Is there a global way to do this? I'm finding it tedious to go to each tuplet and edit its tuplet definition. Sanity is at stake here so any help is appreciated!

Paula Bishop

GT
It was some other guy.

Click to send GT email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to GTAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001
Total Posts : 1434

Posted 4/4/2002 3:17 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Paula:

Simplest thing in the world. Just select the Mass Mover tool and hit ctrl-A. Then shift-click the first two measures so that they're no longer selected.

Now go to Mass Mover> Change> Tuplets. Under Display> Number: select Nothing instead of [No Change].

That's all there is to it.

Cheers.

Gary

HOMR
Handsome gent

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to HOMRAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2001
Total Posts : 227

Posted 4/4/2002 3:23 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's too late now, but for next time, you can change the default settings before you start. This can speed things up, by reducing the same clicks each time you enter a tuplet. Simply Ctrl-Click the Tuplet tool, make the changes, and click OK.

Paul

GT
It was some other guy.

Click to send GT email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to GTAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001
Total Posts : 1434

Posted 4/4/2002 5:41 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Paul is quite correct, and this bit of tuplet wisdom is a good thing to know...

Any changes you make to the default tuplet visual definition will not affect tuplets that are already in the score; the new settings only apply to any subsequently entered tuplets.

pjbishop
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to pjbishopAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001
Total Posts : 17

Posted 4/8/2002 12:26 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you for the help. I wish that the chapter on tuplets mentioned this.

I also wish I could keep it straight which tools are hidden where in Finale. Don't get me wrong--I love the program, but I really struggle with the user interface. Photoshop looks easy to me now.

I realized far too late that I should have changed the default tuplet definition. A good working style is at least as important in music transcription as anything else.

Paula