Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Finale 25 authorization - again??  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Firebolt
Registered Member

Click to send Firebolt email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to FireboltClick to Add Eekgor to Your AIM Buddy List.Click to Add 234666660 to Your ICQ Buddy List.Y! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2004
Total Posts : 74

Posted 10/13/2016 2:22 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have been a Finale user since way back in the 3.7.2 days and have never had this problem. I have been using version 25 with no problems from the day after it was released. For some reason, as of last weekend, when I start Finale it gives me a message saying my trial period has ended and I need to authorize my software. I went ahead and tried to do that a couple of times, but each time I do, it tells me that I have used all the authorizations for my license. The save and printing functions have been disabled now.

Has anyone had this problem? I am on Windows 10-64bit on a Toshiba laptop with 12 GB ram, Intel core i7 processor and a terabyte of disk space. As I said earlier, it has worked beautifully since I bought the upgrade the day after it was released. I have submitted a support request ticket and am waiting to hear from MakeMusic. Any ideas while I am waiting would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick

Rick Neal
Teacher, composer, bassist, guitarist

Toshiba Satellite P55W-C w/Intel Core i7 and 12 GB RAM,
Finale 25, 2014.5, 2012c, 2011b, 2010b, 2009b, 2008a, 2007c (user since Finale 3.7.2),
Sonar Platinum Producer Ed.,
Windows 10-64 bit

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 10/13/2016 2:41 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It sounds like you got bit by the Windows 10 Anniversary updates issue.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 10/13/2016 2:42 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Don't wait. Call them!

800-843-2066

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2014.5 on El Capitan
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Firebolt
Registered Member

Click to send Firebolt email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to FireboltClick to Add Eekgor to Your AIM Buddy List.Click to Add 234666660 to Your ICQ Buddy List.Y! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2004
Total Posts : 74

Posted 10/13/2016 6:38 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill, you were right! Austin at MakeMusic got back to me right after I posted here and said the same thing about the Windows 10 Anniversary update. He got my problem solved in no time! Thanks to Austin and to you guys who responded!

Rick Neal
Teacher, composer, bassist, guitarist

Toshiba Satellite P55W-C w/Intel Core i7 and 12 GB RAM,
Finale 25, 2014.5, 2012c, 2011b, 2010b, 2009b, 2008a, 2007c (user since Finale 3.7.2),
Sonar Platinum Producer Ed.,
Windows 10-64 bit

Ebony Ivory
On Ebony And Ivory I'll Tinkle All Day Long

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Ebony IvoryAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 4594

Posted 10/14/2016 1:18 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Had me worried there a moment - but Phew! Finale 2005b still works hunky-dory on the Windows 10 64-bit Anniversary Edition!

Brian

saxsolos
Registered Member

Click to send saxsolos email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to saxsolosAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2009
Total Posts : 90

Posted 10/15/2016 1:53 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Windows 10 Anniversary did the same thing to me and knocked out my EWI editor. MM support was great and got me back up and running. The latest version of Windows has reported bugs, but the biggest issue is the automatic updates which MS took out of the users control.

weeksc
Registered Member

Click to send weeksc email.Click to visit weeksc's website.Send a Private Message to weekscAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 349

Posted 10/19/2016 9:26 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm wondering about the setups of some of the systems where people are reporting issues with W10AU. I haven't had a single problem, and my updates have been set to automatic from W8.0. Of course, I am using a Surface Pro 3, and since that hardware is pretty tightly controlled, that might be why I don't have these issues. So far, none of my software has been adversely affected in any way.

I also haven't upgraded to FinWin25, but there are reasons for that other than stability.

--Clancy

Finale 2014.5
Microsoft Surface Pro 3, i5 256
Windows 10 Pro Anniversary Edition

I never claimed to know everything... I'm just right about the things I know!

Boneman5
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Boneman5AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2012
Total Posts : 10

Posted 10/20/2016 2:26 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am having a lot of issues with the loss of authorization with Windows 10 and Finale 25.
I have been getting assistance from Makemusic.
I was given a file that changed a registry setting, but unfortunately my desktop lost authorization again today.
This has been happening to both my desktop and my laptop with Finale 25.
I was wondering if in anyone's communication with makemusic if there has been a definitive answer and solution given to the problem.
Every time it happens I have to email Makemusic to deauthorize my computer(s) from their end, so I can reauthorize, which can take a couple of days.
Not good when you have lots of music to write.
Thanks for any help.

Windows 7 64
Finale 2012

weeksc
Registered Member

Click to send weeksc email.Click to visit weeksc's website.Send a Private Message to weekscAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000

Posted 10/20/2016 8:21 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
@Boneman5

Offhand, I would guess that something in your system (hardware driver/software) is overwriting a piece of the registry that Finale uses to keep track of authorization. Could you put your system configuration in your signature?

--Clancy

Finale 2014.5

Gareth Green
Player of fine trumpets

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Gareth GreenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001
Total Posts : 2943

Posted 10/28/2016 7:43 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I had some more Win10 updates install themselves last night, and once again my Fin25 authorisation was wiped out. This time it let me re-authorise without having to contact MM, but there's something screwy going on with these updates ...

Gareth J. Green

Fin25
Windows 10 (under duress ... )

weeksc
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2000

Posted 10/28/2016 9:30 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Again, I think you likely have some third-party hardware or software that Windows updates drivers for, and that hardware is possibly hijacking a part of Finale's entry in the registry. When the update occurs, that part of the registry also gets updated, wiping out your Finale authorization. It almost certainly third-party, as my Surface Pro 3 never has these issues, since all the hardware in from Microsoft.

Time to get a Surface Studio! (I wish...)

--Clancy

Finale 2014.5

ebiggs1
Registered Member

Click to send ebiggs1 email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ebiggs1AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2001
Total Posts : 722

Posted 10/28/2016 2:52 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I installed the Fin 25.1 update after the latest Win 10 Anniversary was released. Automatic update so it did it over night without me having any input like it has for all Win updates. Fin 25.1 would not run along with some other issues. Not related to Finale. One of my three printers stopped working. My sound did not work.
I had to do a restore to previous version of Win 10 and stopped any automatic updates.
All came back and is working like it should. Even Finale V25.1 with sound.

Music makes the difference!
Finale 2014.5 *-* Finale 25
Dell XPS 8500 Intel Core i7 CPU @ 3.40GHz
16 GB RAM, 64 bit OS Windows 10