Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > columns  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

mohawk71
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to mohawk71AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2002
Total Posts : 2

Posted 6/22/2002 12:13 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi everyone-
I'm a long time Finale user (still learning!) running 2001d on a Mac. I am trying to produce a newsletter for the Smithsonian, and they require two columns (20 X 54.5 picas each) on an 8 1/2 X 11 page. I cannot figure out how to create a single page with two columns. Any advice?
Thanks heaps in advance,
Dan

migman
Registered Member

Click to send migman email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to migmanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2000
Total Posts : 2432

Posted 6/22/2002 3:44 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
With the text tool, double click and drag a box the
size of your first column on the left side of the
page before entering text. When you get to the
bottom, make another column on the right side
and continue entering text. If you need specific
column sizes, use ruler-guides. To adjust the size
of the column, double-click on the handle and
drag the wall of the text block. Watch for text that
doesn't fit in a text block, because I don't know of
any alerts Finale gives about that.

This is the only way I can think of doing this in
Finale. It has features you would find in other
types of programs (word processing, page-layout,
drawing, etc.) but it is an engraving program, so
those features don't compete with programs
designed for those tasks. If you want to do a
newsletter, you may want to use page-layout
software (QuarkXpress, InDesign, PageMaker,
etc.), that you can place Finale eps files into. They
are designed to handle text very well.

mohawk71
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to mohawk71AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2002
Total Posts : 2

Posted 6/24/2002 6:52 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the advice, Michael. I've tried to set up a page with Appleworks, but haven't had any success importing anything. Can I save a Finale file as a graphic somehow that can copy/paste normally? I have no problems setting up the Finale file so that it's one narrow column, but I need the music side by side on the same page.

Still in over my head-
Dan

Michael Cook
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michael CookAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 2526

Posted 6/24/2002 8:35 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
>>I need the music side by side on the same page.

1. Go to Page Layout tool and remove the check mark next to "Avoid Margin Collisions". This will make it possible to put two columns of music side by side.

2. On the first page, select all the right hand system margins and move them to the left to produce the first column.

3. On the second page, select all the left hand system margins and move them to the right to produce the second column.

4. Select the first system on the second page and, using the "Edit System Margins" dialog, set a negative number (just a little less than the height of the page) for the distance between systems. Press "Apply": the second column of music will move to the first page.

Best wishes,

Michael Cook

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 6/24/2002 1:10 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On 6/24/2002 11:52:00 AM, Dan Wiencek wrote:
>...Can I save
>a Finale file as a graphic
>somehow that can copy/paste
>normally?

With the Graphics Tool you can export a selected area as a graphic.

For use in an AppleWorks document I suggest that you export as a PICT graphic (resolution: at least 150 dpi), then convert the exported graphic to PICT with JPEG compression.

You can drag the PICT with JPEG compression directly into the AppleWorks document window.

Peter

migman
Registered Member

Click to send migman email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to migmanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2000
Total Posts : 2432

Posted 6/25/2002 3:48 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It sounds like you are still in the design
stage, but I wonder if you have thought
through to the production stage. Have you
picked a printer? If you have, talk with
them to see if the choices you are making
now will produce an adequate newsletter
for the Smithsonian. Using a word
processor with PICT graphics can
produce decent-looking output in some
cases, but there are lots of pitfalls that will
decrease the impact you want. I don't
want to sound like a snob here, but would
you use a $79 Wal Mart keyboard for a
musical presentation at the
Smithsonian? You have made a good
choice with Finale, but talk to your printer.
Many printers can take your mock-up, and
professionally typeset your newsletter
with software designed to give you better
results than a word processor would give.
The best choices are Page Layout
software, eps graphics, good quality
PostScript fonts, and don't give the printer
inkjet printouts as camera-ready.