Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Finale 25  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
33 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Terry Cano
Registered Member

Click to send Terry Cano email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Terry CanoAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2012
Total Posts : 44

Posted 8/31/2016 2:14 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OK by calulations "25" is a few years away :) Did they change the name comfiguration?
Is it reliable.......I just UG three months back. So is it worth it?

Opinions ?

Thanks,

Terry

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 8/31/2016 3:26 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Finale 25 is the 25th upgrade. I believe it is worth it; others do not believe so. Seems to me if you are writing for large orchestras then Finale 25 is a must, as you can access all the RAM you could ever possibly want--and use your 64-bit processor for increased processing speed.

Finale 25

GPO5, JaBB3, GIO, COMB2, GWI, GIFF, Steinway Basic.

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

Terry Cano
Registered Member

Click to send Terry Cano email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Terry CanoAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2012
Total Posts : 44

Posted 8/31/2016 4:32 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks. I'll pass for now maybe in a month I'll consider it.
Speed isn't a issue at the moment
Terry

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 9/1/2016 1:18 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ron. said...
...use your 64-bit processor for increased processing speed.

Is it in fact faster? With some knowledge of computer architecture I would be surprised if the 64-bit instructions were any faster than 32-bit instructions, but of course I've been known to be wrong. I understand start-up is faster, but that could be a matter of cleaning up what they do on initialization.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 9/1/2016 1:47 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
64-bit instructions in and of themselves are not inherently faster than 32-bit instructions. However, because instructions can carry much more data, you need fewer instructions to process an action--and that's where the speed increase comes in. My understanding.

Finale 25

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 9/1/2016 1:57 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There must be benchmarking studies on the web answering this question--maybe I'll look for such. The only data in an instruction would be a literal or an address. But perhaps you're right that the 64-bit architecture has new addressing modes that can do in one instruction what it took multiple instructions to do before.

Windows 7, MIDI input

ttw
Registered Member

Click to send ttw email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ttwAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 776

Posted 9/1/2016 2:20 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Based on 50+ years working on computers, I'd say that the question of speed isn't easily correlated to word size. It's only when dealing with objects longer than the nominal word length that speed is affected. Two common examples (using 32-bit arithmetic as the "short" case and 64-bit as the "long" case) are: arithmetic on large numbers and addressing more than 2^32 objects. (I'd call these the same case.) In each case, for the 32-bit computer, two or more words are needed to represent large numbers. (The 64-bit computer needs more words for longer than 64-bit numbers.) Basically, a 64-bit computer can address 33 to 64-bit objects in one native operation; a 32-bit computer needs to treat these numbers as 2-digit numbers. It's simple to visualize this with then number 0-9 and 00-99, one and two digit numbers. All other things being equal (which they never are), working on two objects is slower than working on one.

Of course, if one is working with numbers of less than 32 bits, a 64-bit system may just be wasteful. In either case, I've never had a problem moving a large project around among computers with varying number of bits (48-36-60-64-32 was the most common progression). I used the same source code in all cases; the only change was in a few cases dealing with very long (256-bit and up) integers. Most software I've seen lately had word-length assumptions built in, 10 lustrums and people haven't learned.

Hardwarewise, a 64-bit system is much more complex than a 32-bit system. One advantage of a long word-length system is that instructions may be processed more quickly; the Cray was a 64-bit computer (with 16-bit instructions) but accessed instructions in 64-word chunks for programs. Basically the raw speed of a computer is given by the bandwidth (bits transferred per clock tick, usually a multiple of the word-length, times the speed) for programs that move a lot of things around; for programs that make many decisions, the time to access a word from memory plus the time to compare that word with something and the time to make a jump will be the main determiner. Most programs have parts with either characteristic.

Finale 2014.5, 25
GWI, GPO4, GPO5, JABB 3, Steinway Basic, COMB2

Windows 10 Pro HP Envy Desktop
Windows 10 Home HP Portable

mm
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to mmAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 1999
Total Posts : 715

Posted 9/1/2016 4:13 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Seems many of the questions asked (here and in other posts) regarding Finale 25 are quite well researched and answered here (of all places ...):
www.sibeliusblog.com/news/makemusic-releases-version-25-of-finale/

Finale 3.7 - 2014.5, GPO4.02/5, Cubase, ProTools, ASUS laptop, Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, WIN 8.1 (64-bit), 18.4'' display, M-Audio Keystation 49 + Mini 32 keyboards

CraigP
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to CraigPAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2013
Total Posts : 313

Posted 9/1/2016 7:48 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...

Is it in fact faster? With some knowledge of computer architecture I would be surprised if the 64-bit instructions were any faster than 32-bit instructions, but of course I've been known to be wrong. I understand start-up is faster, but that could be a matter of cleaning up what they do on initialization.

The speed improvements don't come from the 64-bit architecture. Finale 25 is mainly a port to 64-bit. That port naturally opens the door to 64-bit VSTs and larger address spaces. Those are generally not speed issues, but are certainly welcome.

However, this is not "all" that was done. Clearly there was a significant effort in the playback process and the performance results there are very clear. The playback start-up time is enough to give one a feeling of greater productivity.

Sadly, there aren't too many other areas that were improved, so if a person considered a lot of the Finale 2014 and 2014.5 behaviors to be bugs, most of that got ported directly to V25.

One area of development was the addition of ReWire. While we should applaud them for at least dipping a toe in the water, they implemented such a small part of ReWire as to make the ReWire support practically useless. They did remove a few features, but at least the file formats are compatible with 2014 and 2014.5, so you can use the older releases for those features if needed.

Personally, I think it is worth installing. It has been completely solid for me. I have not found any new bugs, although most of my old friends are still there.

Ebony Ivory
On Ebony And Ivory I'll Tinkle All Day Long

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Ebony IvoryAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 4594

Posted 9/2/2016 8:25 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...
Ron. said...
...use your 64-bit processor for increased processing speed.

Dunno about Finale, but in general, I have never found 64-bit anything to be faster than its 32-bit equivalent. East access to large amounts of memory is the only advantage for most applications, unless you are doing heavy-duty financial or scientific integer number crunching.

Brian

ebiggs1
Registered Member

Click to send ebiggs1 email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ebiggs1AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2001
Total Posts : 722

Posted 9/2/2016 8:48 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am not sure if it, Fin 25, is any faster. I will never likely use Re-wire but I did use scanning a little. Not much so I doubt I will really miss it since it was so hit or miss.
I am going to keep 2014.5 active for now. However if I were you I would upgrade to Finale 25. I did. I think the potential is there for some great things to come. Sorely needed, BTW.

Music makes the difference!
Finale 2014.5 *-* Finale 25
Dell XPS 8500 Intel Core i7 CPU @ 3.40GHz
16 GB RAM, 64 bit OS Windows 10

Ron.
Composer

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 9/2/2016 8:52 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
To repeat something my critics are overlooking: I said that 64-bit processors in and of themselves are not inherently faster than 32-bit processors. Faster processing comes from other factors which 64-bit architecture makes possible. Under 32-bit architecture, if you load an orchestra that requires more than the max 4 GB available in 32-bit processing (in reality considerably less than that), then you will experience a significant slow-down in performance which you will not experience with a 64-bit processor, provided that your application is designed to address the additional RAM--which Finale 25 is programmed to do, unlike earlier versions of Finale. I don't know how much clearer I can make this.

Finale 25

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 9/2/2016 11:23 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Presumably layout--particularly musical/graphic layout-- involves a certain measure of arithmetic calculation which should (eventually) be faster, particularly for longer scores.

Finale 2014.5, Finale 25 - Windows 7
GPO 5, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full, (Sonar Platinum)

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 9/2/2016 11:37 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As people have been saying, arithmetic is no faster.

Windows 7, MIDI input

Ron.
Composer

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 9/2/2016 11:43 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...
As people have been saying, arithmetic is no faster.

That goes without saying. But being able to address more RAM without swapping out to disk is.

Finale 25

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 9/2/2016 12:08 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That is a good point. But does Finale in fact currently take advantage of that? I'm not trying to prove you wrong; I just don't want to oversell "it's worth upgrading because Finale 25 is faster". I think CraigP provided a good summary.

Windows 7, MIDI input

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 9/2/2016 3:11 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Since I don't use large sound libraries, the whole 64-bit thing is a big 'meh' to me. I've never been able to work faster than the program, so 'faster' means nothing. I will be more impressed with stability improvements, if they are there.

On the other hand, not being able to use my plugins have kept me in 2014.5, for now.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2014.5 on El Capitan
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

KennethKen
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit KennethKen's website.Send a Private Message to KennethKenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 2570

Posted 9/2/2016 5:16 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike Rosen said...
I've never been able to work faster than the program,...

Do you not remember the good 'ole days of the animated mass mover truck chuggin' along?

Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), Finale 2014, Core i7 2700K@3.50Ghz, 8GB Ram
Brass music, Woodwind Music, Concert Band Music, CDs, etc.

Bill Sveglini
Registered Member

Click to send Bill Sveglini email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill SvegliniAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2002
Total Posts : 775

Posted 9/2/2016 5:26 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Greetings to everyone. I am using 2012C now and I dont know if I should upgrade. Are the versions past 2012C as easy to use and can I still find all the tools I know in 2012C? I am asking because my tech support will go away in October. Any insights will be appreciated gang. Have a great day to all. Bill

Bill Sveglini - Desktop PC- Finale 2012b - TG Tools Pro- Garritan Personal Orchestra - PC with multiple Quad core Boards - 32 gigs of Ram - 24 in. Monitor - 2 x 1TB Drives - Creative XFi sound - Windows 7 Home Premium
Laptop HP Quad core with 16 gigs of ram, Windows 7 Home Premium
FCOF=Finale Challenged Old Fart

CraigP
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to CraigPAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2013
Total Posts : 313

Posted 9/2/2016 7:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bill Sveglini said...
Greetings to everyone. I am using 2012C now and I dont know if I should upgrade. Are the versions past 2012C as easy to use and can I still find all the tools I know in 2012C? I am asking because my tech support will go away in October. Any insights will be appreciated gang. Have a great day to all. Bill

There is virtually no change in the UI at the 25 level. There were minor changes at the 2014 and 2014.5 levels, but nothing that takes a huge learning curve. about the only thing I recall is some grumbling about the new method for placing hairpins at 2014. This is not radically different, but took a little getting used to for some folks.

Post Edited (CraigP) : 9/2/2016 9:09:51 PM (GMT-5)

ebiggs1
Registered Member

Click to send ebiggs1 email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ebiggs1AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2001
Total Posts : 722

Posted 9/2/2016 8:38 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
... not being able to use my plugins have kept me in 2014.5 ..."

Amen! I don't know why some of the JW plug-ins are not a part of the software. They do things that Finale should do and is reasonably expected to.

Music makes the difference!
Finale 2014.5 *-* Finale 25
Dell XPS 8500 Intel Core i7 CPU @ 3.40GHz
16 GB RAM, 64 bit OS Windows 10

Ralph L. Bowers Jr.
Polymathist

Click to send Ralph L. Bowers Jr. email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Ralph L. Bowers Jr.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2012
Total Posts : 883

Posted 9/2/2016 8:59 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"....I don't know why some of the JW plug-ins are not a part of the software. They do things that Finale should do and is reasonably expected to."

I don't know why (MM) does not come to some agreement with Jari to include at least the six most useful (for me) plugins with Finale.
JW Change
JW Staff Polyphony
JW Meter and Rhythm
JW Pattern
JW Change Pitches
JW Yada Yada Tremolo

Finale 2010b, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 TGTools Pro, Patterson plugins, JW plugins (current for each Finale Instalation)
Sibelius 6.2, 7.1.3, 7.5.1, 8.4.2, Write Score Sound Sets, TMT Publisher Bundle Plugins, Bob Zawalich plugins, Dolet 6.6
Print Music 2004, 2010a, 2011a, 2014a
Progression, Progression 2, Progression 3, Notion 4, [Notion 5, (bought but not installed)update finally installed]
Pro Tools 9.5, Reaper
Kontakt 5
GPO4, GPO5, World Instruments
SmartScore X Pro, SmartScore X2 Pro, PhotoScore Ultimate 6 & 7 & 8.04 ( 7 has some utility----best of those available, 8 has some issues that need fixing)
M-Audio "Oxygen 25" Midi input keyboard (recent addition 2014)
Systems (5) // Windows XP Pro (32bit), 2@ Windows 7 Pro, 8.1 Pro, Windows 10 64 bit, 4GB - 16GB RAM
Paper & Pencil

BMus, MM (Musicology)

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 9/2/2016 10:13 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I use a few of them all the time.

(If you tweak the tremolo markings, and make a separate set for whole notes, you'll seldom need Yada Yada Tremolo.)

Windows 7, MIDI input

Credo
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to CredoAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2016
Total Posts : 142

Posted 9/3/2016 3:36 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In my experience 64bit versions of software typically do get a pretty big performance boost, but it's not 'just because' it's 64bit. I think the big difference is that 'where possible' they get compiled with some libraries that are better at multi-threading and supporting multiple CPUs.

While I'm glad to have progress at all at this point...I'd hoped for better muti-threading across multiple CPUs from Finale.

For my plugins that have a built in switch of their own to use several cpu cores I can keep piling on instances and still have room to grow.

For those that don't have this switch, I get a single CPU maxing out after only a couple of instances. I don't see a way to manually or automatically ask Finale to make use of all my cpu cores. One core gets maxed out, while the other 5 are pretty much idle.

In short...I still pretty much need to load up a secondary host like Bidule or VEP for multiple instances of more CPU hungry plugins (that don't have some kind of built in thread management of their own).

Post Edited (Credo) : 9/3/2016 3:41:09 AM (GMT-5)

Ron.
Composer

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 9/3/2016 7:31 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ironically, a few years ago some users were excoriating MM because they had not yet ported to 64-bit. It got very heated. Now that they have gone to 64-bit some users are down-playing the effect that 64-bit processing has. You just can't win, it seems.

Finale 25

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com