Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Same instrument sounds different n different places  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

LP
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to LPAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2015
Total Posts : 22

Posted 11/2/2016 2:31 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Win 7, Finale 2014.5. Attached song has the same chords above the staff with fret boards as on a separate staff. They are copies of each other. When you play one, then switch to the other, the fret boards sound an octave higher then the staff chords. The instrument is the same. I want the fret boards to sound the same as the staff chords. I tried to highlight the chords in The Score Mgr and change the octave. But that changes the notation for the melody only - and NOT the sound at all. I tried different string instruments and piano keyboard. They all sound an octave too high. I don't mind changing the fret boards to another guitar or keyboard. I can also change the melody to keyboard and make the fret chords a piano or guitar if that will solve the problem. I tried, but it didn't work for me. Maybe I did something wrong?

How do I change the fret board chords to sound an octave lower and still show the same frets/notes as the on the staff?

I tried to upload a sample of the song but got this msg: * You cannot upload files that use MIME type : application/x-zip-compressed.
Its a MUSX file !!! If someone can tell me how to get around the problem, I'll resubmit with the sample.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 11/2/2016 2:53 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I use Google Chrome when I upload musx files.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 11/2/2016 2:58 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Use anything except Internet Explorer.

Finale 25

GPO5, JaBB3, GIO, COMB2, GWI, GIFF, Steinway Basic.

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

LP
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to LPAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2015

Posted 11/2/2016 3:02 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Win 7, Finale 2014.5. Attached song has the same chords above the staff with fret boards as on a separate staff. They are copies of each other. When you play one, then switch to the other, the fret boards sound an octave higher then the staff chords. The instrument is the same. I want the fret boards to sound the same as the staff chords. I tried to highlight the chords in The Score Mgr and change the octave. But that changes the notation for the melody only - and NOT the sound at all. I tried different string instruments and piano keyboard. They all sound an octave too high. I don't mind changing the fret boards to another guitar or keyboard. I can also change the melody to keyboard and make the fret chords a piano or guitar if that will solve the problem. I tried, but it didn't work for me. Maybe I did something wrong?

How do I change the fret board chords to sound an octave lower and still show the same frets/notes as the on the staff?

I uploaded the file in a reply, but it doesn't show below. When I press Attachment Mgr, it shows my file as uploaded. If its not here, I'll resubmit as a new issue.

File Attachment :
Problem Example.musx   259KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 317 time(s).

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 11/2/2016 9:19 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Chord Symbol playback is only determined by the definition of each suffix. Go in and edit the suffixes to play in the octave you want and you'll get the lower octave. It takes some time, but gets the result.

Zuill

Post Edited (Zuill) : 11/2/2016 9:28:37 PM (GMT-5)

File Attachment :
Problem Example Revised.musx   259KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 296 time(s).

LP
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2015

Posted 11/2/2016 10:18 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have NO idea how to edit the suffix to change the octave.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 11/2/2016 10:45 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, the playback numbers for the maj7 are 11, 7 and 4. Change them to -1, -5 and -8. This is done in the Edit suffix box when you click on the Set Play... tab.

Zuill

P.S.: I revised my file again. i realize that when I altered the playback of the G chord, I didn't choose the fretboard you had. It was blank. So now it is back.

Post Edited (Zuill) : 11/2/2016 11:17:00 PM (GMT-5)

File Attachment :
Problem Example Revised 2.musx   262KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 284 time(s).

LP
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2015

Posted 11/3/2016 5:47 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OK... I admit it. I'm S-L-O-W. I can't find a Set Play button, tab, or anything anywhere. The User Manual doesn't have anything for "setplay" and refers to Midi input for "set play". I use NO midi inputs. This is all long hand. Where do you hide the set play tab? What do the numbers (before and after) represent so I can go ahead and change the other chords too. Sorry to be so much trouble. Please bear with me. I am learning as I go - not a music student.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 11/3/2016 6:14 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
When in the Chord Tool, right-click the handle. Choose Edit Chord Definition. At the bottom of the box click Edit. In that box click Set Play. Subtract 12 from each of the numbers and enter that in the same slot. For 11, enter -1, for 7 enter -5, for 4 enter -8. These numbers are for the maj7 chord suffix. The straight Major Triad takes some trickery.

Zuill