Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Alternate slash notation above or below staff  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Jim Balentine
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim BalentineAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2004
Total Posts : 258

Posted 3/19/2016 8:21 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am cleaning up a drum set part for a piece that uses slashes for playing time for most of the piece, and the drummer has asked to have a part that shows the melody and/or changes in addition to slashes - is it possible to adjust the baseline of slash notation, as you can with rhythmic notation? Or, using a different layer and entering slashes as notes? I offered to give him two staves, but that makes essentially twice as many pages.

Having pages full of slashes interspersed with rests and kicks is something that drummers learn to deal with, but I understand him wanting something that is more musical to follow.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Finale 2014c - MacPro 2.93 GHz, 6 GB RAM, OS 10.9.4 (home office); Macbook Pro 2.3 GHZ - OS 10.9.4 (portable office)
M Audio Keystation 61es
Finale 2012c - iMac 3.2 GHz, OS 10.6.8 (school office), Ensoniq KS-32

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 3/19/2016 8:34 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've done this by increasing the amount of the Stem Reversal, from -4 to -6, or maybe more.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Claus
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ClausAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2010
Total Posts : 27

Posted 3/19/2016 10:30 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What Zuill says has to be adjusted in the staff style definition window (tricky to find, if you don't know where to search for it):
in the dialogue window under abbreviation choose "staff" to "own" and there comes the window where the stem reversal amount can be changed.

I usually keep the original staff style and create one or two new ones, for drum parts.

First for the situation you mentioned, the other one e.g. for slashes slightly higher positioned,with a certain bass drum pattern/break appearing.

When working with the broadway copyist or the jazz font, I usually change the font for the slashes themselves, because I find them to use too much space and make parts with a lot of them in look untidy.

Claus

Jim Balentine
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim BalentineAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2004
Total Posts : 258

Posted 3/19/2016 10:58 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill,

Thanks, that worked perfectly, I appreciate it.

Jim

Finale 2014c - MacPro 2.93 GHz, 6 GB RAM, OS 10.9.4 (home office); Macbook Pro 2.3 GHZ - OS 10.9.4 (portable office)
M Audio Keystation 61es
Finale 2012c - iMac 3.2 GHz, OS 10.6.8 (school office), Ensoniq KS-32