Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Chord Analysis  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

vjohnson
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to vjohnsonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2003
Total Posts : 4

Posted 1/19/2003 8:48 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am a new user, I previously used an inexpensive program (MidNotate)which will open a midi file and do a chord analysis, write the chords above the staff and create lead sheets. Will Finale do the same. The only thing I have been able to find is the one staff analysis which you actually have to go in and point out the chord changes. I am creating a fakebook for the folk instrument I play and so far MidNotate is a better program for that. I just couldn't help but think that Finale would do the same if not better.

ronny
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ronnyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 581

Posted 1/19/2003 4:31 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Finale will do one or two staff analysis, yes.

ron davis
http://www.highclassbrass.com

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 1/19/2003 7:10 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
...and, yes, Finale doesn't do the analysis automatically. You have to click each and every chord.

Hey, this might be an idea for a plugin.

Peter

Dick Brodfuehrer
Hack Arranger and C.O.G. (Chief Old Geezer)

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dick BrodfuehrerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000
Total Posts : 4687

Posted 1/20/2003 3:40 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I guess it might be useful to some if it was an option or plug-in. However, I can't recall every wanting to see chord symbols produced for every passing tone and internal voice movement in a selection. The current two-staff analysis is perfect for me.

Dick
http://www.ambassadormusic.com

Richard N.
Musician

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Richard N.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2001
Total Posts : 1424

Posted 1/20/2003 3:47 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What would be nice would to be able to specify an area of notes to be analysed for a chord rather that just a specific beat.

e.g. a stride piano part, where the lower half of the chord is on beat one and the upper half on beat three - or an arpeggio - or any number of variations such as this where the only way to analysis the chord is to rewrite the relevant notes into one block chord.

Richard N.

vjohnson
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to vjohnsonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2003
Total Posts : 4

Posted 1/20/2003 4:24 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That is essentially what MidiNotate does; it hears the music and gives you the basic chord changes. I probably will be using that program instead of Finale to do my small project but like Finale getting more than one on a page is not straight forward. Thanks ... V