Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > FinaleScript - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Simulate Keystrokes during "File Save As"  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

UCG Musician
Registered Member

Click to send UCG Musician email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to UCG MusicianAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 239

Posted 8/30/2011 10:18 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I mistakenly posted this on the Finale Windows forum yesterday.

I have files with long names and need to change the order of the naming convention. One part of the filename is a date in the form YYYY-MM-DD. Another is an abbreviation for an instrument & some letters that designate an arrangement version. An example of this is "02 Flute & Picc - OR" where "02" is the instrument "type" and "OR" stands for "Original Rhythms". So, the entire filename would be like the following:

008 - I Will Praise Thee, O Eternal - 2009-12-26 - 02 Fl & Picc - OR

These are hymns from a book with 191 hymns. "008" is the hymn number and "I Will Praise Thee, O Eternal" is the hymn name.

I have found that having the date preceed the instrument group is undesirable because I need to view the files in the folder in an instrument group order. An example would be:

008 - I Will Praise Thee, O Eternal - 2009-12-26 - 02 Fl & Picc - OR
008 - I Will Praise Thee, O Eternal - 2009-12-26 - 13 Trumpet - OR
008 - I Will Praise Thee, O Eternal - 2010-01-10 - 05 Bb Clar - OR
008 - I Will Praise Thee, O Eternal - 2010-01-15 - 06 Eb Alto Clar - OR

If I created the trumpet version of the hymn on a date before the clarinet version, the instrument group number is out of order, as above.
I would like to create a script that captures the date and moves it to the end of the filename, so the end result would be:

008 - I Will Praise Thee, O Eternal - 02 Fl & Picc - OR - 2009-12-26
008 - I Will Praise Thee, O Eternal - 05 Bb Clar - OR - 2010-01-10
008 - I Will Praise Thee, O Eternal - 06 Eb Alto Clar - OR - 2010-01-15
008 - I Will Praise Thee, O Eternal - 13 Trumpet - OR - 2009-12-26

I can use the end key and combinations of the shift and contol keys and arrow keys to move the cursor anywhere in the filename in the Save As dialog box. But I CANNOT find a combination of keys that will highlight and copy the date part and paste it at the end of the filename.

If this can be scripted, I'd appreciate the syntax. Since there are 22 instrument groups, 191 hymns and several arrangement versions being evaluated, the number of files is immense. Doing it manually is almost inconceivable and partial scripting is barely an option.

I'm sorry this post is so long but I don't know how to explain the problem clearly without all the detail!