Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Finale 25—Cancelled "scripts" during installation. How to fix/clean up?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Joshua the Composer
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Joshua the ComposerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2011
Total Posts : 8

Posted 8/27/2016 12:11 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello, I just downloaded Finale v. 25. I went through the installation process fine until it brought up a second installation window (for samples, I think). It asked me where I wanted to store the samples, but I accidentally double clicked on the wrong folder. The window closed and a progress bar showed up, and I was dumb enough to cancel it. To my surprise, the main installation window "finished." Now I don't know what Finale has installed (or not installed), and I'm not sure whether a custom install will fix it or just create duplicates.

I just clean installed El Capitan, and I'm trying to avoid "residue" and duplicates...how should I go about fixing this? I could always just delete Finale completely and go through installation again, but Finale likes to put its files in many places (library, documents, applications, etc.), so I'd need a walkthrough of how to completely clean out Finale if a clean install were advised.

Thanks so much!

Joshua

Finale v.25. OSX El Capitan 10.11.6. MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2011.

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 8/27/2016 12:24 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I would just do a Custom Install and install everything but the application.

N.

OSX Mavericks 10.9.5
Finale 2011c, 2012c for production work

OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
Finale 2014.5

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 8GB RAM
New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 8/27/2016 12:25 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
By default, Finale 25 saves the samples to /Users/Shared. The enclosing folder is called "GIFF_Samples", so you should be able to do a search for that, if it's somewhere else.

The Finale installer runs one package, which contains the app, fonts, and a link to a second installer process for the Garritan and ARIA bits. The first installer will say "Finished" or some-such once it has handed over to the second installer, which takes some time.

There used to be a Knowledgebase article on what Finale installed and where: I don't know whether the new Help pages have something similar.

To be honest, the danger from "residue" is over-rated. I haven't done a clean install in 10 years, and my system disk is a clone from earlier Macs going back to 10.2!

"This is me helping."

Finale v.25, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.11.6)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Joshua the Composer
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Joshua the ComposerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2011

Posted 8/27/2016 12:34 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you both! Yes I am a clean freak :D. So to clarify, if I delete the GIFF_Samples folder currently on my computer, then custom installed the Garritan sounds only, that would cover all the bases?

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 8/27/2016 12:39 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Supposedly, yes. Though I would read this article, which contains info on a pref file that contains the location of the samples folder: it's worth deleting this file before reinstalling.
/makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/217749158

"This is me helping."

Finale v.25, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.11.6)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Joshua the Composer
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2011

Posted 8/27/2016 12:48 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the link Wiggy! That helps a lot.

By the way, for anyone else who made the same mistake, I've also been told that if I rerun the Finale Installer from the beginning, it will overwrite all the current files rather than duplicate. Meaning all I have to do theoretically is delete the current GIFF_Samples folder (which is in the wrong place anyway) and completely reinstall (without dragging Finale to the trash). I honestly did not realize the Installer was smart enough to do that ;).

Just another answer up for grabs.