Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > The new-fangled hairpins  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
55 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 12/16/2016 6:38 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm using 2014.5 in earnest now and like the new hairpins--it should be a big time-saver. But what do you all do about collisions with dynamics? Do you anchor them to the beat and then adjust the endpoint(s) by dragging, with the arrow keys, or...? I would like the adjustments to be consistent. Is there a JW plug-in that helps? Alas, there doesn't seem to be a dialog box where one could type in numbers (akin to expressions' assignment).

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Post Edited (Motet) : 12/16/2016 7:12:06 PM (GMT-6)

OCTO.
The radical answers.

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to OCTO.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 2659

Posted Yesterday 4:10 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This is The Way:
/editionoctoechos.wordpress.com/2016/10/24/03-compound-dynamics/

And,
I always use these = Settings: Edit: Movable Items: both de-checked.

Finale 2014.5 • OS X: Yosemite, MPB 15', 16GB RAM

Post Edited (OCTO.) : 12/17/2016 3:19:44 AM (GMT-6)

Harpsi
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to HarpsiAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 495

Posted Yesterday 4:41 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Octo, what does that setting do?

I use JW Change to make room for the dynamics. Look here, starting halfway down the page:
forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=5&m=454029&g=454039

Finale 2014.5, Win 10, Korg M1, Oxygen 25

OCTO.
The radical answers.

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to OCTO.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted Yesterday 6:19 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
These settings allow you to drag items only at one direction AND that the items are kept attached (anchored).

I still don't see how JW can help. If you have "subito pp"<"molto ff"
I am quicker with mouse than with programming JW. But, I might have wrong.

Harpsi
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to HarpsiAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2004

Posted Yesterday 6:36 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks, that's good to know! You must mean to have them checked though, I had them unchecked antil now and I always use shift to constrain. Fantastic. I should have changed this setting years ago! Thank you again!

In your case JW might not be much of use. I work mainly with 18th century music so I rarely have anything else than just standard dynamics. I have set up macros so I really do not go into JW manually, just select and press some keys. Does it for me.

Post Edited (Harpsi) : 12/17/2016 5:46:38 AM (GMT-6)

OCTO.
The radical answers.

Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted Yesterday 6:44 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Harpsi said...
Thanks, that's good to know! You must mean to have them checked though, I had them unchecked antil now and I always use shift to constrain.

Yes, I mean CHECKED, sorry for confusion.

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted Yesterday 12:24 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You might edit your posting above--it was confusing.

But the second one is checked by default, and I always start by attaching the hairpin to the first note, so what you describe doesn't happen to me. What I seek is something like "move the start right N EVPUs for p, M EVPUs for mf, and the like, rather than just eyeballing it. I will ponder Harpsi's thread on JW Change.

Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input

Perotinus
"The ends of the earth have seen it all!"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to PerotinusAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 199

Posted Yesterday 2:00 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I use JWChange for something very similar. I regularly run a sequence to extend the endpoint of a bracket smartshape over a set of notes x no. of units to the right. At the moment I have to use 2 different sequences depending on whether the final stem is up or down, since I can't figure out if I can make the Change program recognize that variable (I think not). It has made a world of difference, since I can copy the shape to an analogous other place in the document and the spacing is respected. That's why I am not considering getting 25.2until the JWChange plug in is available for 64 bit. The plug in is so powerful and useful.

Perotinus

Finale 2014.5
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted Yesterday 2:03 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
JW Pattern is a useful Tool. There's even a test version for Finale 25.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, 25.2

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

CV186
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to CV186AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 358

Posted Yesterday 6:10 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill said...
There's even a test version for Finale 25.
Sadly - only for Windows (since Oct 21).

2.8GHz MacBookPro11,1 | 8GB RAM | OSX10.12.1 | Fin25.2/2014.5 | MOTU Traveler1 | GPO4+5

Harpsi
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004

Posted Today 5:22 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A bit more.

When the p and f has been input, I select the area for the hairpin, press <-shortcut, then press shortcut for adjusting left offset, then for right offset.
The various offsets for dynamics have been setup in JW Change by using the sequence editor. In this way it is easy to make a macro for them.

See attached GIF (it is animated).

I anyone is interested, I'll be happy to post the AHK scripts.

Post Edited (Harpsi) : 12/18/2016 7:29:44 AM (GMT-6)

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
dynamics.gif
  145KB (image/gif)
This image has been viewed 288 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
anchorpoints.png
  76KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 404 time(s).

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted Today 11:50 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, please! I guess screenshots of the JW Change sequences, or at least a sample, would be good, too.

Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input

OCTO.
The radical answers.

Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted Today 3:20 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Harpsi said...
A bit more.

When the p and f has been input, I select the area for the hairpin, press <-shortcut, then press shortcut for adjusting left offset, then for right offset.
The various offsets for dynamics have been setup in JW Change by using the sequence editor. In this way it is easy to make a macro for them.

See attached GIF (it is animated).

I anyone is interested, I'll be happy to post the AHK scripts.

It is great that you use that way, but I do the same by manually dragging.
Input and fix hairpin steps:
1. clikc-drag
2. drag
3. click-drag

Harpsi
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004

Posted Today 4:09 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I do it for consistency. And for being able to do any number of staves simultaneously.

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted Today 4:16 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Absolutely. No matter how carefully you eyeball, that's not going to be consistent.

I await your scripts with bated breath.

Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input

Harpsi
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004

Posted Today 5:48 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I wrote a bit about this at this thread forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=5&m=454029&g=454039
but I will repeat it all here. Just one note, the trigger key § works well to use on my swedish keyboard. You can of course choose another one.

The hairpins

At www.jwmusic.nu/jwplugins/wiki/doku.php?id=autohotkey
there is a script that Jari Williamsson made that lets you script his plugins.

I used that, added #Hotstring ? * b0 in the start of the script and then

;Crescendo - §<
:*b0:§<::

if (openJWpluginwindow("JW", "JW Pattern", 3, 2) = 1)
{
     setJWpluginpanelvalue("JW Pattern", 1, 1)
      applyandcloseJWpluginwindow("JW Pattern")
}

return

;Diminuendo - §z

:*b0:§z::

if (openJWpluginwindow("JW", "JW Pattern", 3, 2) = 1)
{
   setJWpluginpanelvalue("JW Pattern", 1, 2)
   applyandcloseJWpluginwindow("JW Pattern")
}

return

When I press § the system waits for another keypress. §< will make a cresc, §z a dim. So in action I highlight (in Selection Tool) the place where I want the hairpin/s to go, press key combo, done.

Adjustment for dynamics

Let's take p as an example.

;piano (the column below 7)
:*b0:§u:: ;p< and p>
Send !+§ ;opens JW Change, alt shift § defined as shortcut for that in TG Tools Options
Send {Home}{NumpadSub}{NumpadAdd}{Down}{Down}{Down}
Send !a!c
return

:*b0:§j:: ;<p and >p
Send !+§
Send {Home}{NumpadSub}{NumpadAdd}{Down}{Down}{Down}{Down}{Down}{Down}{Down}{Down}
Send !a!c
return

So the trigger key waits for "u" to adjust the left side of the hairpin, or "j" for the right side of the hairpin. As you can see, the script is not very sophisticated. It opens JW Change and then sends a number of keystrokes to access the right sequence in the group (list) of sequences I have prepared before.

The sequence for §+u just contains one action: Hairpins/Left Offset - Horizontal: 40, Relative: No.
The sequence for §+j is: Hairpins/Right Offset - Horizontal: -40, Relative: No.

The proper numbers took some time to find out, and I guess they depend on how your dynamics are set up. These are mine:

left side
f 35
p 40
ff 55
pp/mp 65
mf 60

right side
p -40
all others -45

I hope that should get you started, let me know if it works for you.

Harpsi
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004

Posted Today 5:59 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Many staves at once (watch the GIF):
1 Select staves
2 add hairpin
3 alt * to line up (TGTools)
4 adjust left offset

In my line of work, this is much more efficient than adjusting with the mouse and then copying to the other staves.
The advantage of drawing the haripins with the mouse is obviously that you get it at the right horizontal level at once - I almost always have to adjust that after. To each one his own.

Post Edited (Harpsi) : 12/18/2016 5:03:19 PM (GMT-6)

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
moredynamics.gif
  260KB (image/gif)
This image has been viewed 295 time(s).

OCTO.
The radical answers.

Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted Today 8:23 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Harpsi said...
Many staves at once (watch the GIF):
1 Select staves
2 add hairpin
3 alt * to line up (TGTools)
4 adjust left offset

In my line of work, this is much more efficient than adjusting with the mouse and then copying to the other staves.
The advantage of drawing the haripins with the mouse is obviously that you get it at the right horizontal level at once - I almost always have to adjust that after. To each one his own.

Well, that is SOMETHING. Very good indeed! Thanks for sharing.

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted Today 8:52 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Most excellent, Harpsi--thanks so much.

Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 12/19/2016 12:16 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I had to modify things slightly because JW Pattern conflicted with JW Pattern Copy in the menu selection but I finally got it to work. This opens a new world of being able to invoke the JW plug-ins with hotkeys.

Why didn't you invoke JW Change via the openJWpluginwindow mechanism?

Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 12/19/2016 2:46 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I found that this will invoke the first sequence in the first sequence group:

if (openJWpluginwindow("JW", "JW Change...", "JW Change", 1, 1) = 1)
{
   sleep 250
   applyandcloseJWpluginwindow("JW Change")
}
return

The second argument to openJWpluginwindow is something I added, so wouldn't apply to you. Or maybe you'd need it, since there's a JW Change Pitches. Let me know if so (I modified Jari's code slightly).

I tried invoking the hairpins/left offset directly, but setJWpluginpanelvalue doesn't seem to work for some things.

Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input

Post Edited (Motet) : 12/19/2016 1:49:19 AM (GMT-6)

Harpsi
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004

Posted 12/19/2016 3:09 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Octo said...
Well, that is SOMETHING. Very good indeed! Thanks for sharing.

I'm glad you see the use of it!

Motet said...
I had to modify things slightly because JW Pattern conflicted with JW Pattern Copy in the menu selection

I had this problem too, I believe I solved it by moving the JW Pattern Copy out of the JW folder.

Motet said...
Why didn't you invoke JW Change via the openJWpluginwindow mechanism?

Actually I do not remember exactly as this was some time ago. I think I tried via JWs mechanism but could not get it to work. The keypresses/sequences method works OK, but if you find a way of doing it differently with openJWpluginwindow, it would be interesting to see.

Harpsi
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004

Posted 12/19/2016 3:12 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Motet, I will try that and compare.

Harpsi
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004

Posted 12/19/2016 3:22 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Does not work for me... I get an error message if I run it exactly as you wrote it. I deleted the "JW Change" and it ran without error message, but nothing happens more than the JW Change window opening. No selection of sequences and no apply&close.

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 12/19/2016 12:33 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, I added an argument to openJWpluginwindow so that what appears in the menu ("JW Change..." or "JW Pattern...", e.g.) can be different from the plug-in window title ("JW Change"). This avoids conflicts between "JW Change Pitches" and "JW Change", for example. The numeric arguments also might be different, depending on how your sequences are organized.

The other problem was that JW Change has so many items in it that it was returning before the proper panel was in place. I've fixed this by adding an optional wait string argument, so the hairpin left-edge adjuster now looks like

if (openJWpluginwindow("JW", "JW Change...", "JW Change", 10, 5, "hairpin's left-side") = 1)
{
     setJWpluginpanelvalue("JW Change", 1, 30)
     setJWpluginpanelvalue("JW Change", 2, 0)
     return
}

If calling a sequence, you can wait for some unique string you provide in the sequence description:

if (openJWpluginwindow("JW", "JW Change...", "JW Change", 1, 1, "my hairpin sequence") = 1)
{
}
return

Perhaps Finale-jwplugins hasn't been used much. I think these changes are good, so maybe I'll try to get them to Jari somehow. I can attach the new version here for you if you'd like, though of course what you've been doing already works for you.

I really appreciate your pointing me to this! I opens a whole new world, as I say, and should prove a huge time saver for other JW plug-in things besides hairpins as well.

Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input

Post Edited (Motet) : 12/19/2016 11:41:38 AM (GMT-6)