Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Broadway Copyist chord suffix symbols not available  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Steve D.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Steve D.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2013
Total Posts : 6

Posted 1/9/2014 6:44 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Does anyone have this problem?  In the Broadway Copyist style, many of the chord suffix symbols are not available/printable.  Instead of a symbol I get a little rectangle.  See the attached pdf document.  I've been working with Finale support on this and so far I've tried to reinstall the font libraries and also did a complete reinstall of Finale 2012 with no luck.  Thanks for your help!  I'm running Window 7 Home Edition 64.  Finale 2012c.

File Attachment :
finale.pdf   432KB (application/pdf)
This file has been downloaded 585 time(s).

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 1/9/2014 9:52 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've not seen this. Maybe we would need to see a file to check out what's up.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014 now.
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

avremig
Registered Member

Click to send avremig email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to avremigClick to Add avremig to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 338

Posted 1/10/2014 11:26 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Can confirm

Avremi G

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 1/10/2014 2:34 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am checking on my XP system. I'll have to look at Win7 tomorrow. On XP, it is fine. From your picture, it seems to be affecting the tall parentheses only. If you try using that font and character elsewhere in the file, do you get the same result?

Zuill

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014 now.

Steve D.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Steve D.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2013

Posted 1/10/2014 6:11 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes Zuill, it appears that this character (tall parentheses) and many others are simply not available in any capacity. It may be a font installation problem. Finale support had me delete the fonts from my system that were installed by Finale (in C:windows\fonts) and reinstall the fonts. After I reinstalled the fonts I found that only some of them were installed. For example, all of the broadway copyist fonts are missing altogether. The first time I ran the font installer I got an error message. I reran it using "run as administrator" and got no error messages.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 1/11/2014 12:17 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just checked on my Win7 machine and all looks as it should. Hopefully, you'll get things sorted out.

Zuill

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 1/11/2014 12:55 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Here's what I see.

Zuill

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Finale Chord Suffix Selection.PNG
  51KB (image/x-png)
This image has been viewed 719 time(s).

Steve D.
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2013

Posted 1/11/2014 3:23 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill,
Yes I see! Thanks. I also found a post from someone having the same problem back in Nov 2012. You were involved in that one too but no solution had been found. Since the font installer is missing the broadway copyist font I can't display anything now! I'll try a total reinstall and see if I get them back. I actually made a copy of the windows/font folder as a backup but somehow it is not a copy. It appears to be some kind of linked folder because any updates to one immediately affects the other. Now I dare not delete the duplicate for fear of losing ALL of my fonts. This isn't the first time technical support has created a bigger mess than what I started with.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 1/11/2014 1:10 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Did you ask MakeMusic to just send you the Broadway Copyist fonts? That would be the quickest fix.

Zuill

Steve D.
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2013

Posted 1/11/2014 4:23 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That sounds like a good idea. I'll try a complete install again to see if the font is missing from the Finale Build too, then I'll ask them for the fonts. Thanks very much for helping.

Steve D.
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2013

Posted 1/11/2014 9:41 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Problem solved:

1.  Backup your music files, etc.! 
2.  Backup windows font folder (c:\windows\fonts) to an external drive (do not make a copy in the \windows folder!).
3.  Delete existing Finale fonts from the windows font folder (can be done via Control Panel).  See attached PDF document listing fonts.
4.  Uninstall Finale 2012c
5.  Manually delete C:\Users\<your account>\AppData\Roaming\MakeMusic\Finale 2012
6.  Restart PC
7.  Reinstall Finale 2012c

Note: As far as I can tell the font installer, MMFontWin.exe, does not have all the required fonts.

File Attachment :
MakeMusic Font List.pdf   329KB (application/pdf)
This file has been downloaded 474 time(s).