Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Change in Forum Location  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
135 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3  4  5  6 
[ | Show Newest Post First ]

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 12/2/2016 1:35 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That's all fine and good Jan, but I will not move to the new amateurish forum. It has proven over the last several months that it does not work, and that MakeMusic will be losing the expertise of many long-time users who have been an invaluable resource for the company for many many years.

Finale 25.1

GPO5, JaBB3, GIO, COMB2, GWI, GIFF, Steinway Basic.

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

jange
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit jange's website.Send a Private Message to jangeAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2013
Total Posts : 53

Posted 12/2/2016 1:44 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I will not be moving either (although I am mostly active on Facebook anyway) if the new forum remains that way.
That's why I made some suggestions what needs to be improved.

Jan

Elbsound.studio

poparad
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to poparadAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2014
Total Posts : 28

Posted 12/2/2016 3:54 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wow, talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

I used to actively participate in the Harmony Central forums (I was/am a moderator there), and when Guitar Center bought them up about 10 years ago, they had the brilliant idea to move to a new forum software/format, not unlike what is linked at the top of this thread. Within a couple of months, a forum that was one of the top 10 ranked forums on the internet saw its user base nearly vanish. The users were all very vocal in expressing their concerns over the move, but they were completely ignored because the higher-ups supposedly knew best. Today, Harmony Central has almost no daily activity. The forum I moderated, has had fewer than 20 posts in all 2016. It used to get twice that daily.

This forum is a great resource that I have returned to time and time again for assistance from a very knowledgeable and helpful community. Communities like this are a fragile thing, and if they are seriously disrupted by something as foolhardy as shutting down an active and engaged forum like this, they will be decimated and never again return to their prior robustness.

Andreo Basisto
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Andreo BasistoAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2011
Total Posts : 125

Posted 12/2/2016 5:55 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I, too, am deeply shocked that MM can consider closing this wonderful Forum. I have learnt so much over the years from Zuill and many others and have occasionally even offered the odd solution myself.

I urge MM to rethink things to allow me and countless others to keep in contact with the collective wisdom found on this Forum!

Andreo Basisto

Finale 3.1, 98, 2000, 2011b

Win 10 (64 bit)

Credo
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to CredoAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2016
Total Posts : 142

Posted 12/2/2016 6:04 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
poparad said...
Wow, talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

I used to actively participate in the Harmony Central forums (I was/am a moderator there), and when Guitar Center bought them up about 10 years ago, they had the brilliant idea to move to a new forum software/format, not unlike what is linked at the top of this thread. Within a couple of months, a forum that was one of the top 10 ranked forums on the internet saw its user base nearly vanish. The users were all very vocal in expressing their concerns over the move, but they were completely ignored because the higher-ups supposedly knew best. Today, Harmony Central has almost no daily activity. The forum I moderated, has had fewer than 20 posts in all 2016. It used to get twice that daily.

This forum is a great resource that I have returned to time and time again for assistance from a very knowledgeable and helpful community. Communities like this are a fragile thing, and if they are seriously disrupted by something as foolhardy as shutting down an active and engaged forum like this, they will be decimated and never again return to their prior robustness.

+1 for poparad's post!

Forum accounts for user communities really need to remain separate from the main Product Account(s) too!
Case in point: Studio Workshops, School/University Students, etc. Many people get 'training' and 'exposure' in products like Finale, and some even use it every day in work-places and NEVER get (nor should they) access to the 'product account(s)'.

Writer of Music
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Writer of MusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2011
Total Posts : 848

Posted 12/3/2016 6:54 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
And at the end of the day MakeMusic will go ahead with the move, we will all migrate to the new forum and by the end the week all of us will have forgotten what the fuzz was about. And when push comes to shove we all want/need a place to gather and share knowledge on the software that we (have to) use, so we will go find it in the bowels of a dead cow if necessary. Corporations know that and couldn't care less what customers wish or want. Customers are but dogxxxx on the shareholder's shoe after all.

Now let's all shut up and pay our annual upgrade fees for unsolved bugs and unwanted 'new features'.

Finale 25.
Mac OS X 10.11.6.

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 12/3/2016 8:06 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What is going to happen to all our private messages when this forum is shut down? I have some exchanges saved that are very meaningful to me.

Finale 25.1

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

bpalm
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to bpalmAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2014
Total Posts : 34

Posted 12/3/2016 11:45 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
How can you edit a profile photo on the new forum? It won't let me it says it's "automatically" set, and I can't change it. Why?
"The name, profile photo, phone, and email are set automatically. You can't change them here."

Adam W. said...
These forums were originally created to provide a way for our passionate Finale users to share ideas, provide valuable input, and find answers from our community. A number of other great public forums for discussion about our products and best practices have become available since this platform first began. These include Facebook, SHSU, Twitter, Yahoo and various other forums and blogs. Also, as many of you know, the release of our new Help Center over the summer provides another avenue for discussion and input.

In an effort to provide a centralized, accessible, and most of all, helpful community for all of our customers, we are focusing our resources on the new forums in our Help Center Community. As of January 1st, 2017, we will only monitor and support these new forums. At that time these existing forums will be locked.

We want this large body of valuable information to remain available, so while these forums will be locked at the end of the year, they will be archived so that they can still be accessed by those looking for any of the helpful historical information located here.

We want to thank you for the value you’ve already provided to MakeMusic and its customers in these forums, and we look forward to seeing you in our new Help Center Community!

Best,

Adam Wig
Director, Customer Success

Michael Johnson
Vice President, Professional Notation

Fred Flowerday,
Senior Vice President, Product Strategy

weeksc
Registered Member

Click to send weeksc email.Click to visit weeksc's website.Send a Private Message to weekscAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 349

Posted 12/3/2016 2:20 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Count me out as well. I will NOT be moving to the new forum, nor will I send my students and customers there for help.

It's a shame...

--Clancy

Finale 2014.5
Microsoft Surface Pro 3, i5 256
Windows 10 Pro Anniversary Edition

I never claimed to know everything... I'm just right about the things I know!

Ron.
Composer

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 12/3/2016 3:44 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Good point, Clancy. I've been sending people from my forum (composeforums.com) to here, as well as folks from the FaceBook Finale Powerusers group. You can be certain that I will not send them to MM's new forum. It just makes everyone involved with Finale look like a bunch of amateurs.

Finale 25.1

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

Writer of Music
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Writer of MusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2011
Total Posts : 848

Posted 12/4/2016 8:52 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ron. said...
It just makes everyone involved with Finale look like a bunch of amateurs.

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck …

Finale 25.
Mac OS X 10.11.6.

Gareth Green
Player of fine trumpets

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Gareth GreenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001
Total Posts : 2943

Posted 12/5/2016 7:22 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Seems to me that the fact that none of the signatories to the original post have seen fit to come on this forum and respond to the outpouring of dissatisfaction tells us everything we need to know ...

Gareth J. Green

Fin25
Windows 10 (under duress ... )

Sunshine7
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Sunshine7AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2008
Total Posts : 36

Posted 12/5/2016 8:29 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This is kind of sad. This has worked well and I've been involved in many -- some music, some professional. I will hope for the best. but.......

In the mountains
Finale 2012 (recently)
Sonar X1 Essential
Windows 7

David Sosnowski
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit David Sosnowski's website.Private Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 175

Posted 12/5/2016 9:41 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
One of the consequences of closing this forum will inevitably be an avalanche of support requests. I wonder if that has been considered. I can't even count the number of times I've consulted this forum for help -- and each of those meant one less support request to MakeMusic staff.

David Sosnowski

Ron.
Composer

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 12/5/2016 10:45 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have had to refer users to the support forums, complete with URLs, more times than I can count. People can't find them on their own, or don't know what to look for. Without we users referring novices to the right places, they will just give up.

Finale 25.1

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

SysExJohn
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit SysExJohn's website.Send a Private Message to SysExJohnAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2014
Total Posts : 57

Posted 12/6/2016 4:50 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's possible that we are all thinking incorrectly here! ;-)

This is clearly a decision made by MM management.
The addition of the names of senior signatories to the announcement would indicate this.

"HOW DARE YOU QUESTION THE DECISIONS OF SENIOR MANAGEMENT?
Don't you know it's always for the best.
We always know better than you do.
It is our jobs that are important, and our advancement and salaries and bonuses, not your silly software and your stupid user groups.
Thinks: (How pathetic are you?)
If it doesn't work we'll just move on.
You can please yourselves what you do, as long as we're okay.
So, just pull yourselves together and commit to the decisions we have made in our, excuse me, your best interests."

Almost a direct quotation from ICL senior management in the past.

The decision has been made.
Senior management, in my experience, will rarely reverse such a decision.
It would call into question their ability to manage.

Heaven forfend that they would admit to a mistake.

Deeply cynical? Me?

John Garside.

at MIDI-tutor.proboards.com

Finale 2012c, Sonar 7 PE, XGworks.
Garritan GPO4, JABB, COMB, IO, Organs, Steinway, Harps + GPO5.
E-MU 1616m PCI and Cardbus x 2.
Yamaha AN1x.

Nowikjoh
Registered Member

Click to send Nowikjoh email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to NowikjohAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2000
Total Posts : 51

Posted 12/6/2016 9:45 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Although I am not a frequent contributor, commentator - I come to this forum frequently to find quick answers to a problem I am having.
Usually, I find it - although the Search Engine function has become useless for Posts past 6 months. I am glad I have saved URL links to posts from previous years. The people on these forums, with their knowledge, have been invaluable and have made FINALE'S inner worth far greater than its price.
I have tried to use the new MM forum site and found it to be lacking in ANYTHING I was looking for.

Disappointed come January 2017.

John, NJ
Home: Finale 2008, Finale 2009, GPO, Kontackt Player 2.0
Dell XPS laptop, Windows XP, service pack 3
Pentium 4 / 3.4 Ghz
2.00 GB RAM

and at school:
Finale 2008, Finale2011
Lenovo ThinkCentre M58, Windows 7 Enterprise, 32-bit
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, 3.16ghz
4.00 GB RAM

michelp
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit michelp's website.Send a Private Message to michelpAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2003
Total Posts : 2232

Posted 12/6/2016 10:02 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you want your opinion to be heard (hopefully !), please participate in the poll : forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=5&m=489440.

Michel
Finale 25.1, 2014.5, 2012c (main), MacOsX 10.11.6, Mac Mini Intel i7 2,7 Ghz, 16 Go Ram, French azerty kb, Dolet 6. Full TGTools. MOTU Audio Express.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 12/6/2016 10:07 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Regarding senior management, remember what happened with the Scanning feature (now removed). It took only one complaint to reverse that decision, after a blog post touting it, and now it is gone.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, 25.1

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Adam W.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Adam W.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2008
Total Posts : 54

Posted 12/6/2016 4:17 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Everyone,

Some of the functionality requests mentioned previously do exist in the new platform, so I'll take a moment to outline those features:

- Ability to add/edit a user profile: While the capability is not as robust, there is a 'Description' field that can be edited to include any personal information you'd like. This can be accomplished by navigating to 'My Profile': http://www.screencast.com/t/8QNZ6rWiC and then selecting 'Edit Profile'. You'll see your description information listed beneath your name: http://screencast.com/t/dhQifiyf0a

- Easily spot your own contributions: You'll find a list of your contributions (public community posts) and any previous support tickets listed in the 'My Profile' section.

- Searching on a poster's name: While you can't do a direct search for a posters name, we'll be enabling the ability to view another user's profile. This will include the ability to see their previous public posts and even subscribe to be notified wen they've made a new post.

- Getting a newly updated thread back to the top of the list in order to maintain relevancy: While the new platform doesn't explicitly do this, we will be enabling the ability to follow a specific thread so that you can be notified when an update is made.

I recognize that there are many other specific pieces of functionality not listed above that are important to this group. While the new community doesn't currently offer each feature requested so far, it's my goal to continually improve the interface to make it a worthwhile tool for you. Realistically, a portion of that progress is dependent upon feature development by ZenDesk itself and we'll continue to push them to widen the breadth of their options as well.

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 12/6/2016 4:20 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In other words, then, you don't care about the concerns of the professionals on the forum.

You guys just don't get it, do you?

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2014.5 on El Capitan
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/6/2016 4:25 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Adam,

I have a feeling we are looking past each other. Is that the case?

Zuill

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 12/6/2016 4:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Is there a way in the new forums to easily see what's new each visit? Does it remember what each user has seen? Not only where I've posted, but in general. We do that all the time here, trawling for problems to help with. Topics with newest postings should be listed first.

The email notifications are a nuisance to me, so are no solution.

Lack of attachments is a big problem. We do that here all the time. Relying on users' off-site storage won't work, because such links usually break over time.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Post Edited (Motet) : 12/6/2016 3:43:43 PM (GMT-6)

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/6/2016 4:43 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's interesting that Finale has an option to "improve" the program by giving feedback directly. If the result we are getting here is completely trashing a viable and valuable exchange of Finale information, regardless of our feedback, why should we go through the hoops of sending feedback via the program? Is that too just for appearance sake, with the knowledge that things will be done with total disregard for user experience? I'm baffled. Maybe I need a logical explanation.

Zuill

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/6/2016 4:45 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I forgot another question: if a user on the new forum is banned for whatever reason, is the method used deleting the user account? If so, how would a user have access to the paid for products and support? Just wondering.

Zuill