Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Changing ties to dotted notes  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

mkrass
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to mkrassAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2011
Total Posts : 7

Posted 11/3/2012 2:39 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dear Experts,

I was entering a piece in 2/2 time signature in Finale 2011. On my way, I changed the time signature to 4/4 (still displaying 2/2) in order to get slash notation to show 4 slashes. This change (I guess) caused all my dotted quarters beginning at 1 or 3 to become quarters tied to eighths. Unfortunately, I didn't realize the change and went on. Now I'm stuck with lots of quarters tied to eighths and want them do return to the dotted quarters they originally had been.
Is there any way to do this? I tried rebeaming and rebaring in several time signatures but couldn't achieve the desired effect. I'm glad for any help!
Thanks,
Manuel

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 11/3/2012 5:51 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Did you try Retranscribe?

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

mkrass
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to mkrassAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2011

Posted 11/4/2012 3:50 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't aware of that function. I tried it and it indeed changes the tied notes back to dotted notes. However, I lose all my articulations and Grace notes by doing that. Re-entering the articulations is definitely less work than changing the notation altogether, but obviously, I would prefer a way that won't need any re-entering...
Any other ideas?
Whishes,
Manuel

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 11/4/2012 8:26 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Post a sample so we can experiment with it. Post a before sample, so we can try making the time change and see if we can find a better way of doing that without the change.

Zuill

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes

mkrass
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2011

Posted 11/4/2012 12:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Here's a sample file with what it looks like before the change (bar 1) and after the change (bar 6).
If I change the time signature to 4/4, both look like bar 6. That's what happened to me without me realising it. I made lots of entries afterwards and changing the time signature back to 2/2 won't change the notation back to what it should look like.
Which means: A way to prevent that from happening is great, but sadly won't solve my current problem - having tons of bar 6-like figures and desperately searching for a way to get them back to dotted quarters without having to change each and every one of them by hand.
Any ideas?
Thanks so much for your help!

File Attachment :
Test2.mus   23KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 358 time(s).

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 11/4/2012 2:44 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I wanted to test with your grace notes, but I don't see any.

Regardless, I tried the change, and my dots stay put. So, there might be another setting interfering. Possibly your quantization settings.

There is a tool which you can use if you have one good measure with the dotted note and want to get the other measures with the ties to change. It is by Jari Williamsson and is available without charge on his website. It is a Rhythm Copy plugin. I don't know how it would handle the grace notes.

I still can't figure why the change to 4/4 doesn't cause the problem for me.

Zuill

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Click to send Jari Williamsson email.Click to visit Jari Williamsson's website.Send a Private Message to Jari WilliamssonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 3246

Posted 11/4/2012 3:34 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's the "Rebar music" checkbox in the Time Signature dialog box that causes the problem (this setting also affects the context menu time sig changes). This setting should not be used when you change to a time signature with an equal measure duration.

Turn that checkbox OFF and all will be fine.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

www.finaletips.nu - The Finale Productivity Tips site

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 11/4/2012 9:33 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I actually found that checking the box did nothing to the dotted notes, but changed the tied notes to the dotted notes. Why is my system doing things backwards?

Zuill

P.S.: I guess what I'm saying is I would Check rebar to fix the tied notes to dotted notes. Maybe my system is working backwards, but worth a try.

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Click to send Jari Williamsson email.Click to visit Jari Williamsson's website.Send a Private Message to Jari WilliamssonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 3246

Posted 11/5/2012 1:44 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill said...
I actually found that checking the box did nothing to the dotted notes, but changed the tied notes to the dotted notes. Why is my system doing things backwards?

Rebar is using re-quantization of the material, so it will use whatever settings you have in the Quantization options.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

www.finaletips.nu - The Finale Productivity Tips site

mkrass
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2011

Posted 11/5/2012 6:04 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for your investigation, guys!
Zuill, could you maybe post your quantization-settings? I tried several combinations of settings, however, rebaring doesn't change things back the way it does on your system...
Whishes,
Manuel

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 11/5/2012 9:03 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've tried changing all the settings and always get the dotted quarter, so I don't think I can be of help.

Zuill

P.S.: In Quantization Settings/More Settings, try checking Allowed Dotted Rests in Compound Meter. I know this is not compound meter, but Finale can be quirky this way.

Post Edited (Zuill) : 11/5/2012 8:09:18 AM (GMT-6)

madyson
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to madysonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 1999
Total Posts : 53

Posted 11/5/2012 10:25 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Clearing the MIDI data can help (Selection Tool-Select All-Edit-Clear Selected Items-MIDI Data)
I've found that Retranscribe takes the underlying MIDI data into account.

grtz

using Finale since version 2.6.3

currently:
- Finale 2009c on AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1500+ with 768 MB RAM / Windows XP home