Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > TGTools parenthized trills question  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Samuel Van Ransbeeck
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Samuel Van RansbeeckAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2007
Total Posts : 148

Posted 1/24/2009 3:19 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
When I make a parenthized trill note, does the parenthised note have to be always a quarter note, in all rhythmical figures. For example, if i have a tuplet, I also just put a quarter note or does it have to be another value?

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill StevensAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 5408

Posted 1/24/2009 3:36 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The parenthesized note should just be a note head with no value. I'm not sure about this, but I think even if the trill note is a half note the parenthesized note would be a quarter note head.

In the Engraver character set the note heads are on the letter L.

Bill

Post Edited (Bill Stevens) : 1/24/2009 2:42:28 PM (GMT-6)

Samuel Van Ransbeeck
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Samuel Van RansbeeckAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2007

Posted 1/24/2009 3:45 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
the tgtools manual says this
"This feature is useful if you want notes to trill with in parentheses.

You have to enter a quarter grace note BEFORE the main note, and the plug-in moves it after the main note, removes the stem, and parenthesizes it.

Since the grace note was originally before the main note, the parenthesized note will always nicely stick to it, just as it is needed - no matter what you might do in Page Layout.

The tool creates the parentheses using a text expression. It makes a new expression only if no suitable one has been created yet.

An additional menu command will repair trill notes that have been thrown back to their original grace-note positions by re-spacing."
http://www.tgtools.de/overview.htm
But in the example he shows only quarter notes, so I am wondering if this is valid for every rhythmical value

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill StevensAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000

Posted 1/24/2009 4:24 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I thing TGTools is the greatest, but I don't use the parenthetical trill note for the very reason you put above:

An additional menu command will repair trill notes that have been thrown back to their original grace-note positions by re-spacing.

For me it is too easy to respace a piece and forget about the trill so the parenthetical note ends up on the wrong side. I set up the parenthetical note as a text expression, using the Engraver font as described above.

But if you are going to use Tobias' plug-in, you should do what he says and use a quarter-note grace note to start.

Bill

P.S. By the way, the parenthetical notes are also handy if you want to have a "reminder" note where, for instance, someone is singing a G# and at the end of the measure you have a little A-flat so the next line makes more harmonic sense.

Samuel Van Ransbeeck
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2007

Posted 1/26/2009 5:49 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I made an expression like you said but I don't know if it is good enough. It seems a bit blurry. Any advice to improve?
Also, if I have a note above/ under the stave how do I make an expression that has the helplines included?
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
orkeststuk.tif
  1KB (image/tiff)
This image has been viewed 270 time(s).

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2000

Posted 1/26/2009 10:00 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You say the expression is blurry. It's hard to judge that based on a TIF. It would be better if you could send a file with the expression in it.

> how do I make an expression that has the helplines included?

I'm not sure I understand "helpline". Do you mean the line that shows where the expression is attached?

Again, that would be easier to answer with a sample file.

Based on the TIF, it looks like you made the expression yourself rather than using the pre-made version in the Engraver font. If you do it yourself you'll need to shift the baseline of the parentheses so that they line up with the note better.

Bill

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2000

Posted 1/26/2009 10:06 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Here's a little sample using the Engraver font for the parenthetical notehead. Maybe this will help you.

Good luck.

Bill Stevens

File Attachment :
Sample.mus   3KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 404 time(s).

Samuel Van Ransbeeck
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2007

Posted 1/26/2009 11:28 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Seems I cannot not open your file nor upload a finale fine :s

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2000

Posted 1/26/2009 11:42 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That's a 2009 file. Do you have 2009? If not, I could send you an XML file.

I, too, have been having trouble uploading files with Safari. I had to use Firefox to load the file above.

Bill

Samuel Van Ransbeeck
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2007

Posted 1/26/2009 11:44 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
finale 2008, i will try firefox now
here you go, The trills with helplines (2 bars, these are done with TGTools), then the expression I made

Post Edited (Samuel Van Ransbeeck) : 1/26/2009 10:48:39 AM (GMT-6)

File Attachment :
forum2.mus   41KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 390 time(s).

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2000

Posted 1/26/2009 11:50 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Here is the XML of the little sample. You should be able to import it into 2008.

Bill

File Attachment :
Sample.xml   4KB (text/xml)
This file has been downloaded 521 time(s).

Samuel Van Ransbeeck
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2007

Posted 1/26/2009 11:59 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I only see a B
As for the trill, it should be microtonal, (a major second divided in 4). I use the accidentals font for that.

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2000

Posted 1/26/2009 12:17 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
> it should be microtonal

I wasn't trying to reproduce your example -- just to give you a sample of the parenthetical note using Engraver.

> I only see a B

There should be a parenthetical C# after the B. I can't explain why you don't receive it.

Bill

Samuel Van Ransbeeck
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2007

Posted 1/26/2009 4:26 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ok, but in the engraver font there is inded a readymad expression, But in my case it is not useful, as I am using microtones. So I need to make an expression on my own

jcraig1
Registered Member

Click to send jcraig1 email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to jcraig1AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 842

Posted 4/12/2009 12:46 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have used this plugin for years. Suddenly I am getting the message that it is not supported in FIN 2009. Anyone know what's up with this? Seems like I used it with 2009 not too long ago. I have TGTools Pro 2.51, just upgraded from the website.
Help!!!!!

Joel Craig
Craig Music Services
New York City/Florida

FIN 2008,
OS 10.4.10
PowerMac G4 dual 867, 768 memory,
14" iBook G4 for travel,
Apple 23" Cinema HD Display,
Yamaha PSR-530, Edirol UM-2,
hp laserjet 2200d, Kensington Turbo Mouse

Samuel Van Ransbeeck
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2007

Posted 4/16/2009 5:27 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The plugin seems to work. However, I made a library of expressions now instead of using the plugin