Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Templates  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

greatsinger
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to greatsingerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2011
Total Posts : 8

Posted 7/8/2011 6:00 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi,

I am putting music into the computer for a budding composer. She only writes piano music. Is it possible to make a template with all or at least some of the 5 items below:

1. the piano staves,
2. the piano bracket,
3. the composer's name,
4. with "play Finale through Audio Units" set,
5. with the volume already set.

This template means I would only have to fill in the title, copyright date and then the time signature, tempo markings, etc. for each piece. If it is possible are there instructions or a video I can follow?

Thanks

Greatsinger

Boy do I need help!

File Attachment :
D Minor #8.mus   35KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 877 time(s).

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 7/8/2011 7:10 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Set up the file the way you want it. Save As... and choose Finale Template File (.ftm) as the file type. Save it wherever you want it, and it will be there.

Please add the program you're using to your signature, in the forum Control Panel.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

WebMaster and bass for the Seattle SeaChordsmen www.seachordsmen.org
Bass for What's Cookin' www.whatscookinvlq.com
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finaletips.htm

Print Music 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010; Finale 2010b, 2011b
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

Favorite reference: Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, Gerou & Lusk, 1996

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

greatsinger
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to greatsingerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2011

Posted 7/8/2011 8:05 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you Mike,

Sorry I forgot.... I am using Finale PrintMusic 2011 on an iMac (2008) c/w OS 10.6.8 (Leopard I think).

I followed your instructions but the "save as..." does not give me the option of saving to a .ftm file, just Finale .mus or .midi

Greatsinger

Boy do I need help!

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 7/8/2011 8:51 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
They stripped that out of PM, too?

I swear, every time I hear about this sort of thing, it makes me more furious at the way they have emasculated (no offense meant to the ladies) this once quite adequate program. If I were you, I would see if they will take it back, and you should buy SongWriter 2010. Hurry, before they screw that one up, too. Just remember to save all of your work as an XML, so you can open it in SW.

As another workaround, set up the document and save it as a .mus. You can still use it as a template. Just remember to Save as... immediately after opening, before you enter anything at all. Then, make your changes, save it again, and away you go.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

greatsinger
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2011

Posted 7/8/2011 8:54 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OK Mike, will do. Thank you for your suggestions.

Margo (Greatsinger)

Boy do I need help!

Jim Coull
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim CoullAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 2723

Posted 7/9/2011 1:36 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"They stripped that out of PM, too?"

Mike, the .ftm file type has never been used in any of the Mac versions of Finale or its children products - it is a Windows only thing, so it hasn't necessarily been taken out of PM.

Margo, just save the file with a name like Piano Template.mus. When you start a new project, open the file and save it as whatever name you want - the original template will remain as is.

Jim Coull

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 7/9/2011 2:38 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've never used templates. Are they different in content from .MUS files?

Finale 2011b, 2005b, TGTools
Windows XP

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 7/9/2011 4:08 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...
I've never used templates. Are they different in content from .MUS files?

As Far As I Know, the only difference between as .MUS document and a .FTM template is the file name extension.

The Windows version needs to know that it should create a new, untitled copy of the document (instead of opening the document).
Hence the file name extension .FTM.

The Mac version doesn't need the file name extension .FTM.
To create a new untitled copy of the document (with the Mac version) you choose File menu > New > Document From Template...
To open the document (with the Mac version) you choose File menu > open...

My guess is that this difference between the Windows version and the Mac version goes back to the Mac OS versions before Mac OS X.
Back then the Mac OS file system didn't use file name extensions.

Mac Finale, 2011b, Dolet 5 plug-in, Mac OS X 10.6.7, iMac Intel Core i7, 2.93 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Jesper Hendze
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jesper HendzeAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 364

Posted 7/9/2011 4:26 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You can make any file in Mac OS X into a template file:
1. Select the file
2. File menu: Show info (Cmd-I)
3. Top part of the pane: Check [Danish: Standardlayout] (Template)
You can also lock a file here, preventing any changes to be made to that file: if you do, it will prompt a "save as".

Jesper

PS: pre-OS X files had file extensions, but at first they were hidden per default. During OS 9 they became common, as exchange with Windows became a frequent task. You can hide file extensions in OS X too, but now they are on per default.

PowerMac Dual 2 GHz, 3 Gb RAM, OS X 10.4.11
Finale 2009 and all previous versions (although Finale 2.0 is the oldest present on HD)
Garritan Personal Orchestra
Garritan Jazz & Big Band
Garritan Concert & Marching Band
XSample Chamber Ensemble
MIDI: Interface: emagic MT4
Keyboard: Korg X5D/Roland D50
Ensoniq MR Rack with expansion card (percussion)

Post Edited (Jesper Hendze) : 7/9/2011 4:54:26 AM (GMT-5)

Peter West
Registered Member

Click to send Peter West email.Click to visit Peter West's website.Send a Private Message to Peter WestClick to Add p.west@mac.com to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 4272

Posted 7/9/2011 7:10 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If the person ONLY uses this kind of layout, then set up the Finale Default File with all of those things in place, also page layout, printer setup, all libraries of shapes and text, font settings,. In fact everything. Line thicknesses, dash settings in smart shapes. The list goes on. Save the file back in the same place with the same name.
Now, when you launch a default file, or open a new file in the file wizard, it will have all of this in place.

Peter
Music Publishing Services

Mac 2.66GHz Intel Quad, 4GB RAM /OSX.5.6 /30 inch cinema display+20 inch Cinema Display
Finale 2008 2009 2010/Logic Pro Studio/Komplete/GPO/Kore 2/Max.msp/Pluggo

Mike Rosen
himself

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 7/9/2011 8:46 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jim Coull said...
"They stripped that out of PM, too?"

Mike, the .ftm file type has never been used in any of the Mac versions of Finale or its children products - it is a Windows only thing, so it hasn't necessarily been taken out of PM.

Margo, just save the file with a name like Piano Template.mus. When you start a new project, open the file and save it as whatever name you want - the original template will remain as is.

Jim Coull

Jim,
Thanks! I feel a little better, now. blush

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 7/9/2011 8:49 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jesper Hendze said...
PS: pre-OS X files had file extensions, but at first they were hidden per default. During OS 9 they became common, as exchange with Windows became a frequent task. You can hide file extensions in OS X too, but now they are on per default.

Not quite true.

In Classic Mac OS, File types were defined by 4-byte meta-data in the Resource Fork, for both file Type, and Creator (associated app). (e.g. TIFF, 8BIM for a Photoshop TIFF.)
You could add .doc, .jpg etc if you wanted to a file, but the OS didn't use that information. It was useful if you transferred the file to a Windows filesystem, as no other OS uses Resource Forks. An incoming file with a known extension would have Type and Creator metadata mapped to it.

In OS X, the system recognised both old Type/Creator metadata AND filename extensions. So you could have a file without an extension, and it would still be defined by Type/Creator metadata. However, file extensions took priority. Changing the extension changed the metadata. You can hide file extensions in the Finder, but this is purely a cosmetic feature.

Snow Leopard changed things a bit. Type/Creator metadata is now ignored and not maintained. In their place, it uses UTIs (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Type_Identifier) which are metadata strings of the form "public.html", or "com.adobe.postscript-font". File extensions are assigned to UTIs. The problem with this is that all "public.text" files are associated to one default app.

But I digress.

Finale 2011c, 2Ghz iMac; 2Ghz MacBook, 10.6.6
Edirol FA-66; M-Audio Oxygen 61; Yamaha PSR-410
Ancient Groove Music
www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 7/9/2011 8:49 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Peter West said...
If the person ONLY uses this kind of layout, then set up the Finale Default File with all of those things in place, also page layout, printer setup, all libraries of shapes and text, font settings,. In fact everything. Line thicknesses, dash settings in smart shapes. The list goes on. Save the file back in the same place with the same name.
Now, when you launch a default file, or open a new file in the file wizard, it will have all of this in place.

Actually, in later versions of Finale there are two copies of the Default File:
one copy for File menu > New > Default Document (= Maestro Font Default in the folder Default Files, unless you choose otherwise in Program Options)
and
one copy for File menu > New > Document With Setup Wizard... (= Engraved Style in the folder Document Styles)

But if you copy the same (template) document to both locations (and name the two copies correctly), you will have "all of this in place" when you "launch a default file, or open a new file in the file wizard".

Mac Finale, 2011b, Dolet 5 plug-in, Mac OS X 10.6.7, iMac Intel Core i7, 2.93 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 7/9/2011 12:41 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So I gather if you same something as a template, any notes you have entered will be saved as well? Ideally I would want to save everything but.

As you build up your repertoire of expressions, articulations, etc., over time, how do you get these into your template? I've found the saving and loading of libraries to be problematic--mainly, it seems to create duplicates.

Windows XP

Jack Clark
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jack ClarkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2010
Total Posts : 376

Posted 7/9/2011 1:07 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike Rosen said...
As another workaround, set up the document and save it as a .mus. You can still use it as a template. Just remember to Save as... immediately after opening, before you enter anything at all. Then, make your changes, save it again, and away you go.

Yeah, this is what I do. You can save a lot of characteristics in a .mus template, including hidden staves and playback options.

And it's a good idea to make a few backup copies of your .mus-file template, too, in case you forget to immediately save it after opening it to use to make a new score.

Jack

SongWriter 2010
Mac OS X 10.5.8
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

"A man must love something very much to practice it not only without hope of fame or fortune, but without hope of doing it well." -G. K. Chesterton (paraphrase)

Post Edited (Jack Clark) : 7/10/2011 8:26:01 AM (GMT-5)

Mike Rosen
himself

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 7/9/2011 1:23 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...
So I gather if you same something as a template, any notes you have entered will be saved as well? Ideally I would want to save everything but.

As you build up your repertoire of expressions, articulations, etc., over time, how do you get these into your template? I've found the saving and loading of libraries to be problematic--mainly, it seems to create duplicates.

Notes are the only thing that you don't save. If you've already done a piece, and you have everydamnthing just the way you want it (expressions, artics, etc.) save a copy, erase the notes, lyrics, and smart shapes, and you have a template.

If you create a new expression that you want in your template, if you started with the old template, just save the new one. Or save them both.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 7/9/2011 1:41 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I guess I don't see any advantage to that over what I usually do with starting a new piece, which is to make a copy of an existing .mus and delete all the measures except the first one.

Windows XP

Mike Rosen
himself

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 7/9/2011 4:41 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That works, too.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com