Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > How do you write double notes?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Djard
Registered Member

Click to send Djard email.Click to visit Djard's website.Send a Private Message to DjardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2010
Total Posts : 518

Posted 9/3/2011 11:22 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I need to write a double note with identical pitch, such as in A11 that appears in the Adagio part of Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez: the notes that I wish to write and play from the top down are E-E-C natural-F#-D-E. Please see the chord marked by an rrow in the attached file.

Can Finale allow me to write the two E notes next to each other, or must I write the duplicate note in another layer? If the latter case is necessary, I'd like to hide the stem and tail of the note, rather than insert the note to the right of the chord and hide the rests that would precede the note in the second layer.

Djard
Asus P6T, Pentium quad-core, 8GB RAM, Raptor HDD.
I can't agree with you...if I did then we'd both be wrong.

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Double.E.jpg
  24KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 327 time(s).

Mr.Albeniz
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Mr.AlbenizAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2011
Total Posts : 6

Posted 9/3/2011 11:31 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello.
I have a similar problem: I want to write the chord A-Bflat-B-C flat-F at my piece, but I don't know how I can write B and B flat! Please help me, I can't find it in the online help.
Greets, Pepi.

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 9/3/2011 11:34 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Put in your first note. Then put in a second note anywhere on the same stem, then drag it (or + - it) to where you want it to be. It will become double-headed when it meets its partner. Same for mixing flats and naturals.

Finale 2011b with Garritan Personal Orchestra 4.0,
JABB 3 and Concert & Marching Band 2,
Steinway: basic.
TGTools Pro
Win XP/Pro, Intel Core 2 Quad, 4 GB RAM

Creative XFi Xtreme Music sound card

Administrator, The Compose Forums http://www.composeforums.com

New format: Starting over. Check it out.

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 9/3/2011 12:29 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In the Simple Entry with computer keyboard you can add an interval over the selected note by hitting a number key on the QWERTY keyboard.

Hitting the number 1 key will add a unison.

Mac Finale, 2011c, Dolet 6 plug-in, Mac OS X 10.6.8, iMac Intel Core i7, 2.93 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 9/3/2011 2:58 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The problem with mixing a flat and a natural is that both accidentals are on the left side of the stem. Djard's example is easily do-able. Mr. Albeniz's is not. There is a way to do a B natural and a B flat, but it takes some doing and a split stem.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Post Edited (Zuill) : 9/3/2011 3:14:22 PM (GMT-5)

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Cluster with Split Stem.png
  24KB (image/x-png)
This image has been viewed 304 time(s).

FwL
User of Registers

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to FwLAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2009
Total Posts : 114

Posted 9/3/2011 3:24 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Zuill. I was just opening Finale to mess around with that.

Finale 2010b
Win XP Pro SP3

Djard
Registered Member

Click to send Djard email.Click to visit Djard's website.Send a Private Message to DjardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2010
Total Posts : 518

Posted 9/3/2011 3:52 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Ron, your steps worked perfectly. I used the 'Speedy Entry Tool' to move and superimpose the second note over the first to create the unison. I couldn't get the + or - option to work. I also like Peter's approach, which requires fewer steps. You guys are great!

Djard
Asus P6T, Pentium quad-core, 8GB RAM, Raptor HDD.
I can't agree with you...if I did then we'd both be wrong.

Mr.Albeniz
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Mr.AlbenizAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2011

Posted 9/4/2011 3:07 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill said...
The problem with mixing a flat and a natural is that both accidentals are on the left side of the stem. Djard's example is easily do-able. Mr. Albeniz's is not. There is a way to do a B natural and a B flat, but it takes some doing and a split stem.

Zuill

Hi.
Thanks, I can now create that chord, but it looks like a big point on the base line, how do you split the b flat from the rest?

Post Edited (Mr.Albeniz) : 9/4/2011 3:21:12 PM (GMT-5)

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 9/4/2011 4:20 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a big point on the base line.

Zuill

Mr.Albeniz
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2011

Posted 9/4/2011 7:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I mean, that the B flat note isn't seperated like in your picture, it is placed at the same vertical line the a, c flat and the f. So it is at the middle of a and c flat, like a cluster. How can I move the note to the right side with a split stem?

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 9/4/2011 8:56 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OK. You move the notes and the accidentals with Special Tools. The Notehead Position Tool and the Accidental Mover Tool. I not only had to move the B over (the flat was actually attached to the other B, But I chose to switch things around, as I was only going for the look. The flat on the note to the right worked better with the down stem. Otherwise, the stem that branches off ran through the natural, which didn't look as good. The extra stem was done with a SmartShape line.

Zuill

FwL
User of Registers

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to FwLAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2009
Total Posts : 114

Posted 9/5/2011 8:00 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Why did you use a smart shape line instead of the custom stem tool?

Finale 2010b
Win XP Pro SP3

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 9/5/2011 12:05 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Easier.

Zuill

Mr.Albeniz
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2011

Posted 9/6/2011 8:21 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Maybe I'm too stupid for this or it's just inability, but I can't get it right. Can you please tell me step by step how to do this, this damned chord is driving me crazy. :(