Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Some good signs  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

saxop
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to saxopAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2007
Total Posts : 261

Posted 7/16/2015 10:44 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Looking at the Finale jobs MakeMusic is hiring for, I think we can get a glimpse at what the company is thinking. They currently are looking for two engineers, one for Windows and one for Mac. In both cases, the job descriptions suggest an initial focus on code modernization. They're moving to newer UI frameworks, completing 64-bit support, improving threading (for better performance, presumably), and focusing on unit testing. All of these things suggest that they are trying to lay a better base to work from and position themselves to move forward with new development.

"In the near term, you will be working to modernize the code base including: finishing migration to 64-bit, improving threading support, creating seams, writing unit tests, and working with CI to improve deployment systems. In the long term you will be implementing critical features and continuing to revolutionize music notation and digital sheet music."

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 7/17/2015 1:47 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What's a "seam", I wonder?

Finale 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Finale 2014d demo
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 7/17/2015 1:57 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...

I think I'm sitting on one at the moment…

N.

Finale 2011c, 2012c - OSX 10.6.8
Finale 2014d - OSX 10.8.5

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 2GB RAM
New Belgium Trippel Ale

“The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.”
–Assyrian tablet, ca. 2800 BC

saxop
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to saxopAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2007

Posted 7/17/2015 3:10 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...

I believe it's related to dependency injection. I think it's just a term for a place in the code that is designed to accept a dependency.

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 7430

Posted 7/17/2015 3:23 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...

It must be something to do with those threads they need help threading.

Finale (started with ver. 3.0) now using 2012 under Windows 8.1
basically ALL Garritan libraries, plus XSample Chamber Ensemble.

"Art critics suffer from Pigeon Syndrome. Pigeons like to leave their mark on monuments. But at the end of the day, the pigeon remains a pigeon, and the monument remains a monument."

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Click to send Jari Williamsson email.Click to visit Jari Williamsson's website.Send a Private Message to Jari WilliamssonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 3246

Posted 7/17/2015 3:59 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A "Seam" is a way to deal with legacy code, unit tests, etc. It's the point where two codebases meet, and making sure that the legacy codebase doesn't affect the primary codebase, while still allowing for unit tests. It's a term coined by Michael Feathers in the book "Working Efficiently with Legacy Code". Perhaps MM's interprets the word differently, I don't know.

Jari Williamsson

Windows XP, Pentium 4
2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM

www.finaletips.nu - The Finale Productivity Tips site

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 7/17/2015 5:29 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ah, thanks for the explanation.

Finale 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Finale 2014d demo
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

saxop
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2007

Posted 7/17/2015 5:39 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks, Jari, that fits. A little more information here: accu.org/index.php/journals/1927

"What is a seam? Feathers characterises a seam as a place in our code base where we can alter behaviour without being forced to edit it in that place. This has the advantage that we can inject the dependencies from outside, which leads to both an improved design and better testability. Every seam has one important property: an enabling point. This is the place where we can choose between one or another. There are different kinds of seam types. We focus on object, compile, preprocessor and link seams in this article."

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 7/17/2015 5:50 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
C++ has always given me headaches.

Finale 2014d with Garritan Personal Orchestra 4.0.
JABB 3 and Concert & Marching Band 2.
Steinway: basic. Garritan's Instant Orchestra.
Garritan World Instruments. TGTools Pro
Windows 7 Home Edition, AMD FX-8100 8-Core Processor, 10 GB RAM
onboard Beats Audio sound card

violin and flamenco guitar, composer

Administrator, The Compose Forums
Specializing in contemporary art music

Dave Lang
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dave LangAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 364

Posted 7/18/2015 11:35 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This is good news. "Seems" quite late, but good still. Hope it works out!

MacBook Pro Retina 15" (late 2013), Finale 2011c, 2012c, 2014d badly needs some bug fixes

Michael Johnson
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michael JohnsonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 1317

Posted 7/27/2015 11:25 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Saxop:
You are correct we're investing in a team to modernize our code base. We do interpret seams the same way Jari and Michael Feathers do. I'm always looking for good developers. If you or someone you know is interested in our openings, please feel free to have them PM me.

Cheers,

Michael Johnson

MacBook Pro
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB RAM