Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Finale Key Change - measure spanning two lines (instead of one) - looks messy  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

dstraigh
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to dstraighAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2015
Total Posts : 26

Posted 12/9/2016 11:43 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi,

I have a piece where the key changes several times. I have no problem with implementing the key change itself. What I'm trying accomplish is to clean up the notation - so that it looks esthetically nice. My approach to tidying up this sheet music was to use Utilities --> Fit measures. However, it seems that the measure where the key change occurs ends up spanning two lines instead of one. I've locked the measures to contain a certain number of measures per line - yet these spanning measures actually go beyond that number - when I think they shouldn't.

The attached screen capture shows this (I've circled what shouldn't be there)

In that screen capture the very top line is locked to fit 5 measures per line - but it's actually a little more than 5 measures. The next line is locked to fit 4 measures per line - again, it's a tad more than 4 measures. The red circles in the screen capture show this. Measures 43 and 47 each span two lines - instead of one line (as all the other measures do). I'd like to delete all the sharps and naturals where I've circled in red. But, how can this be done?

David

Finale 2014.5 running on a MacBook Pro 2015

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
finale_key_change_untidy_measures.png
  1.40Mb (image/png)
This image has been viewed 889 time(s).

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 12/9/2016 11:58 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you want to stifle the cautionary signatures at the end of a line, do that in the measure tool window for the last measure of the system. It is standard practice to have the warning, but to each his own.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, 25.2

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

dstraigh
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to dstraighAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2015

Posted 12/10/2016 12:10 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I did not know about cautionary key changes. Maybe I'll leave them in. I wonder if I could skinny up the note heads with a different note font.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 12/10/2016 12:27 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
One thing you might consider: you don't need the naturals, as customs have changed. That is in Document Options: Cancel Outgoing Key Signature.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, 25.2

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 12/10/2016 8:00 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's hard to be sure, but it looks as though the percussion line in bar 40 has a number of double noteheads, the sort of thing I've occasionally seen when importing MIDI files. If that's the case, deleting these could win you some horizontal space. I would certainly remove the key change naturals, as Zuill mentioned. And I know I'm overstepping my bounds but I kind of wonder what the need is for a shift to 4# for only 4 bars. In any case, I'll occasionally reduce the page size to alleviate problems like these. Reputable editions occasionally do this, even for a single pages.

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 25.1, Sibelius 4 - 7
Patterson's plugins, Tobias' plugins, full version, waiting for Jari's plugin update
MacOS 10.12
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8 GB

Amsterdam

Christopher Smith
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Christopher SmithAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 2290

Posted 12/10/2016 11:21 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In addition to the other excellent comments, did you know you can suppress cautionary naturals in key signature changes? I usually do that. It's in Document Options>Key Signatures>Cancel Outgoing Key Signatures. That can buy you some space. [oops, I just noticed Zuill said the same thing!]

If you wanted to, you could suppress the cautionary key signatures at the ends of the systems, but I don't advise it, as those are generally considered to be essential to proper notation and might cause reading errors. That is in the same place as the previous option, but it's called Display Courtesy Key Signatures at the end of Staff Systems. You can also suppress them one measure at a time with Measure Attributes (measure tool, double click the measure.)

When I run into collisions like you have, I generally use one of two solutions. Put fewer measures per system, or reduce the size of the system by a few percent. Too much reduction can look stupid, especially if it's just for a system or two, so fewer measures might be the better option.

Christopher Smith

Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5 and V. 25
or
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13 inch, early 2015) 2.7 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5 and V. 25

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 12/10/2016 11:38 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that the unneeded naturals immediately after m46 are the result of using both minor and major mode in the key signature tool. I've read that using a major key with any initial key signature or following key change is the way to go. My experience seems to bear this out.

N.

OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
Finale 2011c, 2012c for production work

Finale 2014.5, not used by my clients

(Finale v25 - not interested yet)

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 8GB RAM
New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

"At last, fortissimo!"
–Gustav Mahler, on visiting Niagara Falls

dstraigh
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2015

Posted 12/10/2016 12:47 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
@N. Grossingink - Yes, the last lines are Major and, most likely, I chose that when assigning key.