Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > WYSINWYG  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Hector Pascal
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Hector PascalAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2007
Total Posts : 339

Posted 11/26/2016 12:04 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi all,

Today, I made a PDF of my nicely edited Finale 25 document. However, when examining the said PDF, I noticed a couple of expressions where not exactly positioned as I desired. I reopened the Finale file to fix them, alas there was nothing to fix, as they appeared to be positioned correctly. The motto of the story is What You See Is Not What You Get (WYSINWYG).

Cheers,
HP.

Post Edited (Hector Pascal) : 11/25/2016 11:08:05 PM (GMT-6)

Hector Pascal
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Hector PascalAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2007

Posted 11/26/2016 12:05 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motto number 2: Always Proof read the PDF, not just the Finale file.

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 11/26/2016 3:59 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motto number 3: Make sure you report to MM or it won't get fixed.

Finale v.25.1, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.11.6 / 10.12.1)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 11/26/2016 7:06 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Do the expressions shift position if you make the PDF using a previous version, like Finale 2014.5?

Is there anything that distinguishes the shifting expressions from the ones that don't shift? I'm thinking about expressions that use a staff list (rehearsal marks, style and tempo marks) as opposed to those single ones that are entered notewise.

N.

OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
Finale 2011c, 2012c for production work

Finale 2014.5, not used by my clients

(Finale v25 - not interested yet)

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 8GB RAM
New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

"At last, fortissimo!"
–Gustav Mahler, on visiting Niagara Falls

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill StevensAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 5408

Posted 11/26/2016 12:45 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
How are you making the PDF -- through the print dialog? Does it do any good to make them another way, like open the file in Preview and print from there?

Bill

Finale 2014.5 (all versions since 1.0)
Finally made the move from my trusty 2011c
Staff Paper and #1 Blackwing Pencil with eraser
OS 10.9.4 on one, 10.10.5 on another

Hector Pascal
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2007

Posted 11/27/2016 6:18 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi everyone,

Yes, I plan to report it to MM in the hope that it can be sorted. I must admit I am always tempted to prioritise my music deadlines over MM bug reports for whatever reason!
The shifting expressions were "m.d." and "m.s." (piano hands) which I'd made using the expression tool and positioned neatly, yet in the pdf they had shifted and collided with things.
Something else that is probably related is that sometimes an accent or two carefully placed in the Finale file moves when I redraw the screen. This is only intermittent and on the occasional accents/articulations.
I made the PDF just by going File>Print>PDF>Save As PDF.
Cheers,
Hector.

Dr. Wiggy

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 11/28/2016 2:01 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
1. Do they also shift when you print to your printer?
2. Can you use/make another print queue and select that for making PDFs? It's possible that your printer's driver might have some role, so changing it for another might help.
3. Also, does changing the font make a difference?
4. Does the document print/PDF differently in 2014.5.?

Post Edited (Dr. Wiggy) : 11/28/2016 5:21:04 AM (GMT-6)

bvstudios
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to bvstudiosAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2010
Total Posts : 156

Posted 11/28/2016 4:31 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Although I'm a Windows user and not a Mac user, I have less than fond memories of the "built-in" pdf-maker that comes bundled with Finale, and so I use an external one -Cute PDF, in my case. It's a free product which installs like a printer driver on your desktop. Once it's in, instead of using the built-in, simply choose "print" and select Cute PDF as your printer. It won't actually print on your printer, but instead asks you to save the newly-created PDF..

It's never gone wrong for me. Works a treat in the Windows world. The Mac version just might be worth a look-see.

K M Frye

Finale 2014.5, PM 2011, 2010, 2007, 2005, 2003, 2000

GPO4, WORLD, JABB3

M-Audio, Boss JS8, Roland VSC-55 Sound Canvas, Rhodes 660 workstation, Roland MC-50 composer (yeh- it's old, but it works if you can find the floppies), Reaper 4.32
Windows 7

Dr. Wiggy

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 11/28/2016 6:20 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
bvstudios said...
It's never gone wrong for me. Works a treat in the Windows world. The Mac version just might be worth a look-see.

MacOS has its own built-in PDF generator. You can create a PDF in any application from the print menu. It should produce a copy that is identical to a printed page, which is why the printer driver of the currently selected printer might be an issue.

MikeHalloran
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MikeHalloranAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001
Total Posts : 217

Posted 11/29/2016 1:35 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hector, do you have old versions of Finale fonts in your User/Library file? If so, delete them.

If that doesn't work, go to Font Book.app and delete all the Finale files. 25 will use the copies in your Application/Finale/ folder if there are none in Font Book.

Do you still have this issue?

Finale 25.1, 2014.5, 2011c, SmartScore X Pro II, Encore 5.07, GPO 5
2010 iMac i7, 32G RAM, 2T SSD, Late 2013 MacBook Air, OS 10.12.1
MOTU Digital Performer 9.12, 9.02, Logic Pro X 10.2.4

Dr. Wiggy

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 11/29/2016 1:59 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
MikeHalloran said...
If that doesn't work, go to Font Book.app and delete all the Finale files. 25 will use the copies in your Application/Finale/ folder if there are none in Font Book.

That would be great, as I rarely need to use Finale's manifold fonts in other apps, but I can't make it work. There must be some other factor that makes it work for you.

Post Edited (Dr. Wiggy) : 11/29/2016 2:03:28 AM (GMT-6)

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Screen Shot 3.png
  38KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 312 time(s).

Mike Halloran
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Mike HalloranAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2009
Total Posts : 105

Posted 11/29/2016 3:23 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Works fine for me. Only 25 follows the current Apple toolkit and places the fonts in Finale/Contents/Resources, however. Your copy will not look for those fonts if you have selected others including older versions.

Earlier versions of Finale do not place fonts in the Applications folder.

None of this matters. I have dealt with this issue a lot among my customers' Macs but usually in Office—other apps are affected as well. In all cases, the problem occurs when there is a mixture of old vs new fonts.

PDF files are not pictures of documents unless they were first saved in graphic form such as .tiff, .jpg .png etc. These usually don't look so good compared to an actual .pdf which incorporates fonts.

If you have any Finale fonts installed in User/Library, delete them. That will mess up a .pdf file—seen it too many times.

The OP claims a bug but I'm pretty certain not. Here's how to find out. Although I know what I am doing, I did test this a few minutes ago. The oldest version of Finale I have installed is 2011c and it worked properly in that, 2014.5 and 25.1.

1) open Applications/Finale/Contents/Resources. Arrange the files by Kind. You will now see a section for Fonts arranged alphabetically. Otherwise, you have to hunt for them by name and there are 38 of them.

2) open Font Book.app and click on Computer to show a list of all installed fonts

3) Going through the fonts in Resources, delete the corresponding files in Font Book. You will probably find that not all of the fonts in Resources are installed—you will fix that.

4) In Resources, click on BroadwayCopyist.ttf. Holding down the Shift key, use the right arrow to select all 38 fonts. Double-click to open all (you can also do these one at a time but this is faster). All 38 windows will open.

5) Click on Install Font. In Sierra, you will get a "serious error" as none of the Finale fonts match Apple's requirements for upper/lower case and numerals. Check the box and install. If you check the lower box, the upper will open pre-checked. Because of this error message, clicking once no longer installs all. Oh well... Keep doing this till all 38 windows are gone. BTW, this does not remove the font files from the Resources folder.

You do not have to reboot. Your files will show the correct Finale fonts that you selected. Although I do not have anything installed older than 2011c, I opened a few files I did in 1998 and they displayed correctly.

If, having done the above, you still have the same problem, I will concede that there's a bug.

Mike Halloran

Finale 25.1 & 2014.5, SmartScore X Pro II, Encore 5.0.7
2010 iMac 2.93G i7 Quad w/ OWC eSATA mod, 20G RAM, OS 10.12.1, 2T SSD
DP 9.1, 8.07, 7.24, Logic Pro X 10.2.4, DSP-Quattro, PSP, IK, NI, Eventide, Izotope & Antares plugins
G4 running OS 10.4.11 & 9.2 with legacy apps