Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > SmartMusic - FORUM HAS MOVED! > More Upgrade Concerns - Is the Requirement to Login New?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Ronuts
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to RonutsAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2012
Total Posts : 14

Posted 8/24/2013 11:06 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I just upgraded SmartMusic, and tried to open a file I created in Finale. Under my previous version of SmartMusic the file opened without issue and I could immediately begin practicing. With this new version I am being told that I must login first! Unless it was automatic before, I honestly don't recall ever having to login in order to practice, and I don't understand why I should have too. I use SmarMusic entirely for personal use. I am not using it as part of any instructor led course.

In spite of my irritation at possibly having to login in order to practice, I did try logging in anyway as I did want to practice, but adding to my frustration, I was presented with a screen requesting personal information such as my birth date. It did not appear I could use SmartMusic without completing this personal information. Again I find that a completely unreasonable requirement to use SmartMusic.

I am really hating this upgrade. Between the loss of playlists / files, (see my previous post), and the requirement to login in order to use SmartMusic, and the unreasonable requirement for providing personal information at login, I am about ready to cancel my on-going subscription to SmartMusic. Until last night I would wholeheartedly recommend SmartMusic to anyone. With this last SmartMusic upgrade, I certainly cannot do that at this time. I sincerely hope these issues will be addressed. SmartMusic can be a phenomenal program, but this latest upgrade seems to have been misguided and released with insufficient testing.

Post Edited (Ronuts) : 8/25/2013 4:15:29 PM (GMT-5)

saxop
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to saxopAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2007
Total Posts : 261

Posted 8/26/2013 1:16 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just a guess, but if the program is having you log in when you use it, I'm guessing it probably lets you use the application on any computer now. In other words, it's probably not requiring activation any more. That's how most modern applications work (Hulu, Netflix, etc.). Does the application have an option to save your login info so you don't have to enter it each time? Machine activation has been problematic for plenty of users, so if that's gone, it's definitely a big improvement.

As for prompting for a birth date, that might have something to do with COPPA legal requirements. Any application that's intended for use by children under 13 must do that sort of thing.

Ronuts
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to RonutsAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2012

Posted 8/26/2013 2:06 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
saxop... I did submit a support request on this issue, and your guesses were the reasons given in the response to my inquiry. I can understand the COPPA requirements, but if that is the reason for asking for one's birth date, I would suggest that MakeMusic make it very clear that is the reason and the only reason for the request. The current form makes no mention of the COPPA requirement so that one is left feeling like this is one more instance of a company attempting to gather ever more personal information.

In regard to the requirement to login, I do not agree that is an improvement. It will not always be the case that when a customer wants to practice with SmartMusic, they will have an internet connection available. For many people, internet access may be limited, and even for those with regular internet access, this requirement will unnecessarily limit one's use of SmartMusic. For example, if I want to get away for a retreat in a mountain cabin, I can no longer use SmartMusic during that time to practice, which may have been the very reason I was looking for time to get away for a little while. In addition, even for everyday use, any problems with my ISP will prevent me from using SmartMusic to practice. The requirement to login is an unnecessary burden on customers. I cannot believe there were not better options available which show more respect and concern for SmartMusic customers. To me, it appears the requirement to login was just an easy solution that was implemented with little thought to how that could impact all customers.

Finally, regardless of how one feels about the login change, it is significant enough that the upgrade notice should have explained the change so customers would be prepared for it, and hopefully have had the choice as to whether to upgrade or not. Personally, I would not have upgraded had I known about these changes. I was perfectly satisfied with SmartMusic prior to these changes. I am not at all satisfied with the current version or how it was rolled out.

Ronuts
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2012

Posted 9/3/2013 8:48 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Another quick update regarding on-going frustration with this latest update to SmartMusic. As saxop suggested, there are checkboxes to save login info. I tried that and it appears to be time limited. Several days ago I checked the save login info check boxes. I closed SmartMusic and then restarted it. I did not have to log back in. Today though, I am being asked to log back in. So now I have to go figure out the password. This is trivial compared to the problem as a whole, but still it is one more added frustration which has this SmartMusic upgrade leaving a bitter bitter taste in my mouth.

Ronuts
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2012

Posted 9/15/2013 11:20 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So as it happens, I will be traveling for a week and do not expect to have internet access. I would like to ask how I'm supposed to use SmartMusic to practice?

BandManRI
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit BandManRI's website.Send a Private Message to BandManRIAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2011
Total Posts : 7

Posted 9/22/2013 7:55 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I agree with everyone's gripe. I have been using Smart Music for many years, and this new upgrade is awful. I too do not always have internet access and having to "plan ahead" as suggested is ridiculous.
Besides the "downgrades" that have already been mentioned...does any one know how to add more than the 5 instruments they limit you to in your student level account?
I play over 9 instruments and have been using the Smart Music program to keep my chops up on them. Now I can only pick from a total of 5! I know I can go into my account setting and change the selected instrument(s), but to do that ---first I have to be online!!! I too am thinking of trying to reinstall an earlier version, just so I have the freedom to use the program when and where I want to.

AndreaChenna
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to AndreaChennaAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2013
Total Posts : 1

Posted 10/3/2013 2:55 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I agree too.
There is no reason to be connected forever and that "charging your license for a couple of days" policy is simply unreasonable!
SmartMusic developer, you really pretend that all your customer MUST have unlimited web connection for practicing a musical instrument?
What's about holiday practicing, travelling, simply not remembering to log in every two days?
If, for any reason, we are for 3 days or more without internet we cannot use a program we pay for...
Absurd.

Ronuts
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2012

Posted 10/10/2013 9:45 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks BandManRI and AndreaChenna for chiming in. I hope this requirement to log in will eventually get changed.

Ronuts
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2012

Posted 3/4/2014 3:46 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So my renewal just came up. The thought is renewing is rather distasteful these days. I can't tell you how many times I had wanted to use SmartMusic to practice but did not have an internet connection and so could not use SmartMusic to practice. SmartMusic is still good, but the requirement to log in irks me to no end. I would certainly jump on another application if I find one available. I do still like SmartMusic. I just don't like the direction the application is going. Well, I've said it all before, so I guess I'll give it a rest. I guess I'll consider it over the next few days. I'll probably renew, which is sort of too bad because there is no incentive to change if I keep buying the product. Well, we'll see.