Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Finale 2004 OS X in Production  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Forum Admin's website.Send a Private Message to Forum AdminAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2003
Total Posts : 106

Posted 1/13/2004 12:04 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The Finale 2004 Macintosh OS X disc is in production and we expect to start shipping by January 16. More information will be on our website this afternoon. Thank you for you continued patience and support.

MakeMusic! Forum Administrator

habibbijan
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit habibbijan's website.Send a Private Message to habibbijanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2003
Total Posts : 218

Posted 1/13/2004 12:14 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
>>Pinching myself to see if this is a dream<<

Hot dawg!

Brian Bondari
www.habibbijan.com
"Writing music with theory in mind is like wearing underwear that's too tight. It's restricting!"

ottowest
An apple a day.

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit ottowest's website.Send a Private Message to ottowestAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2003
Total Posts : 16

Posted 1/13/2004 12:39 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
[Sheds a tear of joy] "Sniff" I am now at one with the cosmos.

"Macintosh - We might not get everything right, but at least we knew the century was going to end."

"The Macintosh may only have 10% of the market, but it is clearly the top 10%."

-Douglas Adams-

ctj
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ctjAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2004
Total Posts : 31

Posted 1/13/2004 1:11 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
freaked Holy and merciful God... it is a miracle.

Treble
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TrebleAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2002
Total Posts : 29

Posted 1/13/2004 1:37 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Whoopie!!!! I'm salivating

B K
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to B KAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2003
Total Posts : 165

Posted 1/13/2004 2:07 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nasty as we are, we'll start bug bashing soon;)

P.S.

I'm glad they finally did it

encephalon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit encephalon's website.Send a Private Message to encephalonClick to Add encephalon@mac.com to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2001
Total Posts : 315

Posted 1/13/2004 2:08 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I won't believe it until I see it — this Thursday at NAMM. It better be frickin' amazing.

encephalon

TechSupport
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit TechSupport's website.Send a Private Message to TechSupportAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 432

Posted 1/13/2004 3:31 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Here is the link to the updated information on our webpage regarding Finale 2004:
http://www.finalemusic.com/finale/mac-commitment.asp

Coda Tech

<FONT size=1>Note: These on-line forums are intended for the exchange of ideas among the users of MakeMusic products. If you'd like individual help from our technical support staff, please contact them directly via email at winsupport@makemusic.com or macsupport@makemusic.com or call 952-937-9703.

Matthew Hindson
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Matthew HindsonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 406

Posted 1/13/2004 4:20 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you Makemusic for at least being upfront about the EPS issues. Looks like we're going to be the same as the WinXP version now in that regard!

the elephant
Registered Member

Click to send the elephant email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to the elephantAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 70

Posted 1/13/2004 5:11 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Let's all shed a tear for poor, little FinMac2K4aUpdater. He never had a chance. Long live 2004a!

elephant

Mama always told me to eschew obfuscation.

ludwigtheman
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ludwigthemanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2001
Total Posts : 93

Posted 1/13/2004 6:02 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That would be about the last thing you would find me shedding tears over.

musicofnote
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit musicofnote's website.Private Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2001
Total Posts : 490

Posted 1/13/2004 6:06 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Good that they arre upfront about not including EPS in the intial release. That means that any high-end formatting stays a MacFin2003 gig. At least we can plan on that.

Wierd about the the PS export. Since OS X creates a .pdf to print from and then nukes it after printing, I wonder about the difficultly of getting a print-to-disk PS file out the door. Can it really be so difficult? Especially, if I'm not mistaken, the front end of a .PDF is a PICT-related file and the back-end is the PS-code representation of same.

But then again, I'm no programmer, just a lowly user.

Well, anyway - the tech dept did get me too up and running with print-out under Classic with Panther via Adobe 8.8 so that's something. I C A N now use fin2K3 on my Cube and my beige-on-G4-steroids.

I just need more patience until these two things are added, since 2004-on-Windows sucks for the same reason. well, "sucks" might be a bit strong, but it's just as unusable for me (as is Win2K3 et al for the same reason).

mit freundlichen Grüssen

Leonard "Buzz" Cecil, Systems Engineer
mailto:l.cecil@fh-aargau.ch
========================================
Fachhochschule Aargau
Departement Gestaltung und Kunst
Bahnhofstrasse 102
CH-5000 Aarau, Switzerland
Fon: +41 (0)62 832 6682
Fax: +41 (0)62 832 6665
Web: http://www.fh-aargau.ch und
http://ganymed.dbg.fh-aargau.ch/~support/
========================================
and
(formerly) Music of Note - Music Notation Workshop
http://www.music-of-note.ch

Tyler
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TylerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 3586

Posted 1/13/2004 6:09 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm sure you're aware of this, but I wanted to clarify that all of the fixes that went into 2k4a were put in this first Mac 2k4 release (as well as other things we were able to fix along the way). You won't have to wait for 2k4b for those things.

Thanks for sticking with us. :-)

gwysham
Registered Member

Click to send gwysham email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to gwyshamAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001
Total Posts : 44

Posted 1/13/2004 10:05 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You know, it occurs to me that a nice gesture would be expedited shipping for all of us loyal users.

Geoff

Looking forward to Fin2k4
OS X 10.2.8
iMac G4 Flat-panel

Slandrom
Registered Member

Click to send Slandrom email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SlandromAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 1792

Posted 1/14/2004 2:46 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Short happiness! With no EPS-export I have to continue with 2002. And perhaps cancel my order and wait for 2005. Why pay $ 265 for an upgrade I probably only can use some few months?

Björn

2002b, MacOSX 10.3 sometimes Win98, TgTools 2.25, QuicKeys X2, 2.0.2

Bart Visser
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bart VisserAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1999
Total Posts : 90

Posted 1/14/2004 9:42 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't get it. With the ability to save a page as PDF, and Panthers ability to convert a PDF to an EPS what's the big deal. It would clearly be quicker to directly save as EPS but then again. This is much better than wait a few extra months (or maybe a lot longer) for Fin20o4b (or 2005 for that matter).

B K
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to B KAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2003
Total Posts : 165

Posted 1/15/2004 12:12 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I do think people should show some more enthusiasm.

Richard Rasch
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Richard RaschAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 1999
Total Posts : 50

Posted 1/15/2004 8:57 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
B K said...
I do think people should show some more enthusiasm.

I think they are showing enthusiasm by the simple fact that they are STILL HERE!!
Sticking with Finale after this OS X debacle takes enthusiasm and a whole lot more!

kignature
Registered Member

Click to send kignature email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to kignatureAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2000
Total Posts : 337

Posted 1/15/2004 3:23 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bart Visser said...
I don't get it. With the ability to save a page as PDF, and Panthers ability to convert a PDF to an EPS
Uhh... how do you convert to EPS from PDF without Acrobat or GhostScript?

"If I ever lose my mind, I hope some honest person will find it and take it to the lost and found." --George Carlin

Richard Rasch
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Richard RaschAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 1999
Total Posts : 50

Posted 1/15/2004 3:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
kignature said...
Uhh... how do you convert to EPS from PDF without Acrobat or GhostScript?

Adobe Illustrator is one way to do it. Opens PDF files and exports EPS files.

Bart Visser
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bart VisserAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1999
Total Posts : 90

Posted 1/15/2004 4:04 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I use Panther (OS X 10.3) and I'm not sure if you can do this with Jaguar (OS X 10.2).

- First you have to install the Script-menu (find it in /applications/AppleScript/install Script Menu).
- In the script-menu choose the folder 'Printing Scripts' and then choose 'convert PDF to PostScript' (with the PDF-file selected).
- The file-icon now says EPS (the file-extention says .ps).

I don't know much about these things, so I could be wrong, but I think this may be a workaround for the problem.

solvin
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to solvinAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 30

Posted 1/19/2004 12:50 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
When is EPS support expected to be avaliable?