Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Does anybody know how to import midi from cubase into finale?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Axelin
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to AxelinAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2008
Total Posts : 7

Posted 12/19/2008 10:47 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello!
I have a problem importing midi notes from cubase into finale. I have no problem doing this with Sonar, I just copy the midi events into the clipboard and then paste them into a finale document, it works like magic. But for some reason I can't do the same with Cubase. I will select and copy the events, and then go to the Edit menu within the mass edit tool in Finale, but the Import Midi From Clipboard option will not be available.

Any ideas why?

Right now my only way around this is to export midi from cubase into sonar, and then to finale, which is time consuming.

Help will be most appreciated.

Thanks!

mm
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to mmAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 1999
Total Posts : 715

Posted 12/20/2008 2:59 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
in Cubase -
- File/Export/MIDI File
- choose a file name and a directory to save it in (someplace you can find it again, in this case best the directory where you usually save your Finale files)
- Export options - choose Export Locator Range (make sure you've set the Left and Right locator to the whole piece or whatever section you want to export
- OK

go to Finale -
- File/open - find the directory where you've saved the MIDI file - in Files of Type: choose MIDI File (*.mid) so you can see it - select and open it
- choose your Import MIDI File options - OK

voila! ... here's your Finale file!
- before exporting the MIDI file make sure that all your material in Cubase is quantized very precisely - otherwise you'll get some very weird results

Finale 97 - 2005a, 2008, 2009a, Cubase 4, LG LW75 laptop, Pentium M, 2GB RAM, WinXP Pro, M-Audio Keystation 49e

Michael Good
MusicXML Maven

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Michael Good's website.Send a Private Message to Michael GoodAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 1299

Posted 12/20/2008 5:10 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you're using Cubase 4.1 or later, the transfer will probably work better if you use MusicXML files rather than MIDI files.

Michael Good
Recordare LLC

mm
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to mmAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 1999
Total Posts : 715

Posted 12/20/2008 5:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am using Cubase Essential 4.5.2 - I see no option there to export in XML (a feature only in Cubase 4?)
any other way of using XML in this case?

although I've never really had an problems with MIDI files as long as they are clean to begin with, it would be interesting to hear more about this method since that's the way I work: compose in Cubase and then notate scores and parts in Finale

Finale 97 - 2005a, 2008, 2009a, Cubase 4, LG LW75 laptop, Pentium M, 2GB RAM, WinXP Pro, M-Audio Keystation 49e

Michael Good
MusicXML Maven

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Michael Good's website.Send a Private Message to Michael GoodAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 1299

Posted 12/21/2008 5:33 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
MusicXML is not available in Cubase Essential, but it is part of both Cubase Studio and the full version of Cubase. MusicXML is designed to represent music notation, so it can save much more data from a Cubase score than a MIDI file can. If the score looks right in Cubase, that is what will get transfered over into Finale. It looks like the Cubase score feature is another one that is part of Cubase Studio and Cubase, but not part of Cubase Essential.

Michael Good
Recordare LLC

Axelin
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to AxelinAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2008
Total Posts : 7

Posted 12/23/2008 5:18 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks MM for your suggestion, I tried it and it actually works so that's what I'll do from now on. I can save a few steps doing it like this (rather than exporting the midi to Sonar first), although I was looking for a way to directly copy/paste using the clipboard, which would make it much easier transferring music from cubase to finale as you compose. I don't know why this function is unavailable for cubase, because you can actually do this on Sonar.

Thank you for your help, I will follow your advise.