Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Some basic HP prefs for Kontakt/VSL users  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
36 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

stmain
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to stmainAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2005
Total Posts : 61

Posted 9/5/2007 12:13 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Thanks, Albert and Robert, I'll try setting up the correct staff names tonight! (I'm on the road all day today, driving from LA to San Francisco after my three month sabbatical here.... sigh!).

Yes, I've written much 12% music myself. I notice it sounds better at the time than later.

Incidentally, speaking of glisses, a TOTALLY COOL hp feature would be if I could make a harp diagram (I'm a harpist in an orchestra, among other things), and then have the harp glisses play back according to the tuning of the pedals. I've never found Finale's harp pedal diagrams to be very user-friendly (which has nothing to do with HP), but this would be a huge help!

Steve Main

Robert P.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Robert P.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 1691

Posted 9/5/2007 3:00 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
stmain said...
Incidentally, speaking of glisses, a TOTALLY COOL hp feature would be if I could make a harp diagram (I'm a harpist in an orchestra, among other things), and then have the harp glisses play back according to the tuning of the pedals. I've never found Finale's harp pedal diagrams to be very user-friendly (which has nothing to do with HP), but this would be a huge help!

Hi Steve,

Have a safe trip (are you connected 24h to the forum through an in-car blackberry???)

Regarding the harp gliss alteration, I think you should have a look at this sample file (Fin2007) which illustrates some not very well known (if not to say undocumented) feature, it'll certainly please you!
Although there is no support for harp diagram, HP intelligently tracks back alterations to guess the right gliss, and you may even specify the first notes of the gliss (with 32nd notes), as it is standard in classical harp notation.
I think this is self-explanatory in my file.

Robert

Post Edited (Robert P.) : 9/5/2007 8:36:44 PM (GMT-5)

File Attachment :
Harp_Glissandi_HP.mus   41KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 384 time(s).

Robert P.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Robert P.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2004

Posted 9/6/2007 3:10 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Albert,

Something that strikes me using the X-fades instruments (the ones you're using, right?) is the very narrow dynamic range in short articulations (stacc and pizz). From CC1=0 (ppp) to 127 (fff), the difference is really not that big!
Pizz and staccato seem to be inconsistent dynamically. Any experience/hint on this?

Best,
Robert

A.S.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to A.S.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 629

Posted 9/6/2007 3:45 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Robert,
your'e absolutely right. The softest (ppp) stacc and piz. more sound like mp or mf! (Yet another balance problem when using the KS sounds in VSL...)
I suppose this could be solved by editing the specific groups in Kontakt. I'm not sure how though, and this is a bit outside my area of "expertise"... :-)

I know Michael Matthews on this forum is using VSL with Finale and HP (he kindly e-mailed me some of his HP prefs for the bigger VSL libraries). He seems to have an extensive knowledge about these type of things.

Michael, if you see this, feel free to chime in!

PowerMac G5 2 X 2.0 GHz Dualcore, 2.5 GB RAM, Mac OS 10.4.10, 2 X 21" TFT Samsung, Digidesign Mbox
MacBook 1.8 Ghz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM
Finale 2007c, TGTools, iKey 2, ProTools 6.9.2 LE, Kontakt 2, Full GPO

Robert P.
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2004

Posted 9/6/2007 2:49 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
@ Michael Matthews: are short sample dynamics handled more gracefully in the full versions of Vienna? Those seem to have been only roughly edited in K2's VSL.

Cheers,
Robert

Post Edited (Robert P.) : 9/7/2007 1:43:29 AM (GMT-5)

stmain
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to stmainAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2005
Total Posts : 61

Posted 9/6/2007 11:43 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Albert and Robert:

I think the neighbors just called for the police.... because I couldn't stop shouting after I finally got this to work!!!

Thanks! Now that HP sees the staff names, all seems well with the Vienna sounds. Albert, I'm now going to load all of the instruments in your score and see if they all work as they should -- sounds great so far with the violins!

Albert, question: Are there any changes I should make to your settings if I use the Opus 1 (and 2) Vienna sounds instead of the bundled Kontakt patches? Thoughts on this? Which do you prefer, by the way? They sound somewhat different to me... I had thought (no doubt naively) that they were the same patches, but perhaps they're not?

Albert and Robert: How do I get Albert's HP settings to go from file to file? I clicked "save" a million times in the HP prefs dialogue box, but when I open a new file I don't see them...

Robert: the Harp gliss file is FABULOUS! You've saved me! But one question.... I notice that your file makes the first few notes of the gliss sound a bit slower (and thus, quite realistic). When I tried to build one from scratch, the notes sounded great (and HP faithfully calculates the "pedal" tunings), but the notes are all completely equal, without the nice accelerando your file includes. How do I get that effect? I thought maybe it was "Romantic" vs. "standard" in the HP settings, but that didn't seem to make a difference...

You guys are great!

Steve

Robert P.
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2004

Posted 9/7/2007 1:57 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Steve,

Did you take your laptop with you in jail?

Opus series: I think they're programmed somehow differently, I'm sure Michael Matthews will pop up at some point.

Copying prefs from file to file: this is fairly simple. open your 'template' file, go to HP prefs, and click 'Duplicate' in Pref Sets Management area. Click Save and Close. Now your attached pref set (file-dependent) has been copyied as a 'free' pref set and when you open any other file, you can now choose/edit it from the pref set popup menu, and then possibly attach it to your file. Sorry if this is not clear enough.

Harp Gliss: glad you like it! Yes, a special timing model is used... The effect is enabled by the 'Delay is Possible' option in Glissandi & Bends section from your favorite Ali-Baba's cave, HP Prefs ; it is probably unchecked in your prefs.

Cheers,
RP

A.S.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to A.S.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2006

Posted 9/7/2007 2:53 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
stmain said...
I think the neighbors just called for the police.... because I couldn't stop shouting after I finally got this to work!!!

Let's hope the police are not Sibelius users. If they are, they might shoot you after all... smilewinkgrin

stmain said...
Albert, question: Are there any changes I should make to your settings if I use the Opus 1 (and 2) Vienna sounds instead of the bundled Kontakt patches? Thoughts on this? Which do you prefer, by the way? They sound somewhat different to me... I had thought (no doubt naively) that they were the same patches, but perhaps they're not?

I wish I could help you more here but since I don't own the OPUS set this is unknown territory for me. I suggest you PM Michael Matthews here on this forum or try the vsl forum. If you ask him nicely he may even send you his HP prefs for the OPUS set. :-) (Btw, the OPUS set is out of stock and there is no replacement for them as far as I know. Routing VSL or VI sounds from Finale in the future will probably have to use the IAC busses since it's only the Horizon series that you can load into Kontakt.)

Albert

PS. Steve, in case you don't know. Vienna sounds with Finale has been discussed numerous times on this forum (and a couple of times on the vsl forum). There are apparently a number of users who are using VSL/VI with Finale but most of them have quite complicated setups that involves sending midi via IAC through Logic and using CC controllers to change patches (most of them don't use HP). Some of them even have three of more computers to do this... Actually, I have only heard of one person using Finale with HP and VSL (Michael Matthews). That means it's doable, but probably not that easy. I was actually going to buy one of the VSL libraries a couple of months ago, but since I really like the HP function in Finale I finally decided to take the "safe route" and go with full GPO instead. The Vienna sounds are of course fantastic (if you get them to work!) but GPO will do for now. If you are interested in chamber sounds that DO work with Finale and HP check out: www.xsample.de/html/kontakt2.html Take a look at the demos that plays directly from Finale. Amazing!

PowerMac G5 2 X 2.0 GHz Dualcore, 2.5 GB RAM, Mac OS 10.4.10, 2 X 21" TFT Samsung, Digidesign Mbox
MacBook 1.8 Ghz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM
Finale 2007c, TGTools, iKey 2, ProTools 6.9.2 LE, Kontakt 2, Full GPO

Robert P.
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2004

Posted 9/7/2007 4:28 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I agree with Albert that the XSample series is fabulous, and I mean it.
Too bad there is no brass but they said it's coming.

R.

Jon Burr
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Jon Burr's website.Send a Private Message to Jon BurrAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2010
Total Posts : 16

Posted 1/17/2015 2:53 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A.S. - I tried your HP Prefs in my Finale 2014 file.
I notice the KS #'s for Ord=86 and Pizz=90 for bass in your file.
I'm trying to get a KS working for those 2 in particular.

In Kontakt, it's telling me that the switches should be Ord=C5, Pizz=F5, which Finale translates to Midi note numbers 72 and 77.
? Don't understand. Is there some different naming scheme at work? Does C5=86? Or do you have a custom KS set up for Double Bass in Kontakt?
(This is Kontakt5).

In any case, neither set of numbers seems to work for me yet in Finale 2014.

If I apply your HP prefs VSL (2008).mus prefs to my file, all articulation and playback style disappears for all instruments in my Kontakt VSL Multi - and it stays that way until I delete the preference set and restart Finale.

I wonder if anyone has a prefs set for Kontakt/VSL that works in Finale (Mac) 2014?

Jon
Finale 2012 Mac

A.S.
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2006

Posted 1/18/2015 1:16 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dear Jon,

I'm afraid you have managed to find a very ancient thread. It's dated from 2007 so it's actually almost 8 years old. I have to confess that I remember very little from what was discussed here.

What I do remember is that I never (or anyone else for the matter) managed to get the VSL-sounds in Kontakt to work well with Finale. My best advice would be to buy the Special Edition from VSL and download their own set of HP prefs from the VSL site. There are a number of Finale users who use VSL Special Edition and Finale but to my knowledge not one that use the VSL sounds from Kontakt and Finale.

A.S.

Mac Pro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 10 GB RAM, Mac OS 10.6.8, 30" Cinema Display + 21" TFT Samsung
Finale 2011, TGTools, Logic Pro 8, Kontakt 2, GPO 4.0, VSL (SE, Strings SE+, Woodwind & Brass download instr), VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Xsample Chamber Ensemble