Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Making booklets like a pro (Windows version) current release: v0.3.1  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Joseph.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Joseph.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2011
Total Posts : 212

Posted 2/20/2015 3:04 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
MBLAP. Whatever.

Anyone who makes booklets in Finale should check out and give feedback on this macro I created. It worked well in test runs.

Here's how it works:
If you have a bunch of parts, say even 15 parts in an orchestra or whatever and you've already figured out page turns and the likes, you can select all of those pdfs and run a few macros (using reputable 3rd party freeware/opensource) and:

1. automate booklet making for each selected file
2. separates the files into even and odd pages
3. merges all odds together and merges and REVERSES all evens together.

All in about 2 minutes. Yeah.

All you really have to do is put paper in, print the ODD (single sided 11x17, 12x18 or whatever), FLIP THE PAPERS CORRECTLY (the only part you HAVE to figure out), put them back in and print the EVEN (reversed) stack.

Like magic, all the parts will come out of the printer like you have some $5,000 machine that is duplexing 12x18.

Here is a demo video: /www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jiq5TR0RN-A

v0.3.1 -- released 2015-10-31 --
- Update for Win version to make it just like the mac, which is (even easier) to install and easy to run. All driven through the right-click context menu.

v0.2.0 --
-I got rid of PdfBooklet as a dependency. After a few back and forths with Michael Schierl, creator of jPDF, he suggested a way that would allow me to use jPDF to do what it wasn't supposed to and make this program better.
-- PdfBooklet was great but had no command line automation. jPDFTweak has capabilities for booklets but was designed more for non-US formats. A few tweaks with AHK and I was able to add in the necessary steps to make it compatible.
-It now makes booklets based on whatever size you put into it (selected files must be the same size...!)

v0.12 -- released 2015-03-06 --
-huge improvements in speed/reliability by using jPDF Tweak's ability to use the command line. I got rid of PDFSaM also because it was unnecessary after this
recent discovery. Frankly it worked fine but automating the GUI is not full-proof and not as quick as using the command line.

v0.11 -- released 2015-02-22 --
-add some additional settings that include options to reverse or provide
different orderings of paper depending on how the paper comes out of your
printer.

DOWNLOAD
Here is the link to the Github page. You can download the installer there. More instructions on the Github page.
/github.com/jsphweid/bookletMacro/blob/master/README.md#windows-installation

-

Windows 7 Finale 2012c

Finale Hotkey Grid - free, open source, and mostly... a work in progress.
/github.com/jsphweid/Finale-Hotkey-Grid

Another macro to make booklets effortlessly...
/github.com/jsphweid/bookletMacro

Post Edited (Joseph.) : 11/5/2015 12:09:00 AM (GMT-6)

Ralph L. Bowers Jr.
Polymathist

Click to send Ralph L. Bowers Jr. email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Ralph L. Bowers Jr.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2012
Total Posts : 883

Posted 2/20/2015 10:27 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jsphweid said...
MBLAP. Whatever.

Anyone who makes booklets in Finale should check out and give feedback on this macro I created. It worked well in test runs.

Here's how it works:
If you have a bunch of parts, say even 15 parts in an orchestra or whatever and you've already figured out page turns and the likes, you can select all of those pdfs and run a few macros (using reputable 3rd party freeware/opensource) and:

1. automate booklet making for each selected file
2. separates the files into even and odd pages
3. merges all odds together and merges and REVERSES all evens together.

All in about 2 minutes. Yeah.

All you really have to do is put paper in, print the ODD (single sided 11x17, 12x18 or whatever), FLIP THE PAPERS CORRECTLY (the only part you HAVE to figure out), put them back in and print the EVEN (reversed) stack.

Like magic, all the parts will come out of the printer like you have some $5,000 machine that is duplexing 12x18.

CHECK THE VIDEO DEMO HERE:
/www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOoakBoOsmk

Here is the link to the Dropbox folder.
/www.dropbox.com/sh/2j0m0v8siwdeiey/AACmQA_BM-C2gbh7FTAxAtnfa?dl=0

It is 36MB or something because it includes those freeware programs that are dependencies. No install should be required. Just unzip to a folder and run the .exe (or the .ahk if you have Autohotkey). If you feel technically inclined, you can edit a few global variables (in bookletMacros v0.10.ahk) that control things like click speed/file naming. I should put it in an .ini like I do with my larger macro... maybe some day.

Have not tried it yet.....just got done with your video.

I do want to say I appreciate your work here and with your GHIFF. It's people like you, Jari, Patterson, Tobias, and others that make Finale into a more efficient platform for all of us.

Thank you.

Finale 2010b, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d TGTools Pro, Patterson plugins, JW plugins (current)
Sibelius 6.2, 7.1.3, 7.5.1, Write Score Sound Sets, Bob Zawalich plugins, Dolet 6.4
Print Music 2004, 2010a, 2011a, 2014a
Progression, Progression 2, Notion 4, [Notion 5, (bought but not installed)]
Pro Tools 9.5, Reaper
Kontakt 5
GPO4, World Instruments
Smart Score Pro X , PhotoScore Ultimate 6 & 7 ( 7 has some utility----best of those available)
M-Audio "Oxygen 25" Midi input keyboard (recent addition 2014)
Systems (4) // Windows XP Pro, 2@ Windows 7 Pro, 8.1 Pro, 64 bit, 4GB - 16GB RAM
Paper & Pencil

BMus, MM (Musicology)

Post Edited (Ralph L. Bowers Jr.) : 2/20/2015 9:48:10 AM (GMT-6)

Harpsi
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to HarpsiAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 495

Posted 2/21/2015 3:43 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
+1

I don't have a large format printer, but I will try this anyway. The principle should be the same with other paper formats, right? Or do I have to change something in the settings?

Finale 2014d, Win 8.1, Korg M1, Oxygen 25

Joseph.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Joseph.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2011

Posted 2/21/2015 9:12 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ralph L. Bowers Jr. said...

Have not tried it yet.....just got done with your video.

I do want to say I appreciate your work here and with your GHIFF. It's people like you, Jari, Patterson, Tobias, and others that make Finale into a more efficient platform for all of us.

Thank you.

Thanks, Ralph .

Harpsi said...
+1

I don't have a large format printer, but I will try this anyway. The principle should be the same with other paper formats, right? Or do I have to change something in the settings?

Well, PDF booklet by default is set to auto which means it doubles the page size (so if making booklets from 8.5x11, it will push them to 11x17, 9x12 to 12x18) making them large format. You mean you want 8.5 x 11 to stay 8.5 x 11? You'd have to add a line to click some checkmark.
Add this below in the file bookletMacrosFunction.ahk:

Sleep, 20
MouseClick,left,18,340,,%clickSpeed%

and it will go immediatley below "WinWaitActive, Pdf-Booklet,,.3"

You'll have to recompile if you want to use the .exe.

Grid Hotkey Interface for Finale - free, open source, and mostly... a work in progress.
forum.makemusic.com/?f=11&m=443005

forum.makemusic.com/?f=5&m=448667

johnmouse
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to johnmouseAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 849

Posted 2/21/2015 9:19 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you! I've been looking for something like this. This will reduce my work load considerably!

John

Finale 2012/2014 (Well, it's installed.)
M-Audio KeyRig 49
Desktop: Windows 8.1/i5 Core/8 Gig RAM
Laptop: Windows 7/i3 Core/6 Gig RAM

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 2/22/2015 2:43 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Very cool.

If you load the paper face up but it comes out face down, you need to reverse the even pages. But if it comes out the same way it's loaded (up or down) you don't.

Finale 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Joseph.
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2011

Posted 2/22/2015 10:47 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...
Very cool.

If you load the paper face up but it comes out face down, you need to reverse the even pages. But if it comes out the same way it's loaded (up or down) you don't.

Hmm... Yeah, because I tried to do it with the even pages first and not reversing anything and that didn't work because I have the 5200 which, like many laser printers, flips the paper unlike an ink jet style which often simply shoots it out the same orientation. So, I think I need to have an option in the settings where someone can choose whether to reverse it or not. That's pretty easy to rig up. I'll do this soon. Thanks!

Grid Hotkey Interface for Finale - free, open source, and mostly... a work in progress.

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 2/22/2015 1:59 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If the 5200 is like the 5000, you can open the tray in the back and the pages will come out face up (I assume you're feeding the 12-inch paper in the manual feed tray). On the 5000, the manual-feed tray is loaded face up, while the "drawer" trays are loaded face down.

Note that if you're going face-up to face-up you print the odd pages first, but if you're going face-down to face-down you print the even pages first.

(But the back tray is not so good if you're doing multi-page documents one-sided.)

Windows 7, MIDI input

Post Edited (Motet) : 2/22/2015 2:00:20 PM (GMT-6)

Joseph.
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2011

Posted 2/22/2015 5:49 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...
If the 5200 is like the 5000, you can open the tray in the back and the pages will come out face up (I assume you're feeding the 12-inch paper in the manual feed tray). On the 5000, the manual-feed tray is loaded face up, while the "drawer" trays are loaded face down.

Note that if you're going face-up to face-up you print the odd pages first, but if you're going face-down to face-down you print the even pages first.

(But the back tray is not so good if you're doing multi-page documents one-sided.)

I haven't seen something back there. I am using the front. When I bought it, it said "no tray" which is probably why. It has the front feed, and one rack/track below (so 1 and 2). This works for me though. It's the easiest this way.

It goes face up to face down. I print the odd pages first and reverse the evens. It is all multi-page one sided.

So if it goes face up to face up it isn't reversed? And face down to face down, it also isn't reversed (but what varies is whether you should start with even or odd)?

Joseph.
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2011

Posted 2/22/2015 6:02 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
even more:

If face down to face down:
1. even
2. odd

If face up to face up:
1. odd
2. even

If face up to face down (or visa versa):
1. odd
2. even (reversed)

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 2/22/2015 7:24 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jsphweid said...

I haven't seen something back there. I am using the front. When I bought it, it said "no tray" which is probably why. It has the front feed, and one rack/track below (so 1 and 2). This works for me though. It's the easiest this way.

It goes face up to face down. I print the odd pages first and reverse the evens. It is all multi-page one sided.

You sure there's isn't a "gate" you can open in the back? This is useful for printing in heavy stock, where the paper has trouble bending. It goes straight through from the manual feed tray.

jsphweid said...

So if it goes face up to face up it isn't reversed? And face down to face down, it also isn't reversed (but what varies is whether you should start with even or odd)?

That's right. When the output pages are face up, then the pages come out in order but flipped over, since you're laying subsequent pages on top of each other. SBut since you're running the paper through twice for double-sided, that's OK--they flip back the second time. You want to wind up with the even sides face up, since the first page is on the bottom. So you start with odd.

Face down to face down, the pages come out in order, and you can just flip it over and put it back in the tray since it prints on the down side. But you want to wind up with page 1 on the bottom the second time, so you print the even pages first.

Face down to face up can't happen on my printer, but there you'd have to reverse either the odd or the even pages, I think.

Windows 7, MIDI input

Joseph.
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2011

Posted 2/23/2015 1:00 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...
jsphweid said...

You sure there's isn't a "gate" you can open in the back? This is useful for printing in heavy stock, where the paper has trouble bending. It goes straight through from the manual feed tray.

jsphweid said...

That's right. When the output pages are face up, then the pages come out in order but flipped over, since you're laying subsequent pages on top of each other. SBut since you're running the paper through twice for double-sided, that's OK--they flip back the second time. You want to wind up with the even sides face up, since the first page is on the bottom. So you start with odd.

Face down to face down, the pages come out in order, and you can just flip it over and put it back in the tray since it prints on the down side. But you want to wind up with page 1 on the bottom the second time, so you print the even pages first.

Face down to face up can't happen on my printer, but there you'd have to reverse either the odd or the even pages, I think.

Ok, I made an update, v0.11 that has these improvements.

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 2/23/2015 1:46 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jsphweid said...
Motet said...
If the 5200 is like the 5000, you can open the tray in the back and the pages will come out face up.

I haven't seen something back there.

Yes, the 5200 has an output at the back of the printer, so you can do "flat" printing in one pass. Useful for thicker paper that won't go round corners easily!

"This is me helping."

Finale 2014d, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.9.5)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Joseph.
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2011

Posted 2/23/2015 1:58 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wiggy said...
jsphweid said...
Motet said...
If the 5200 is like the 5000, you can open the tray in the back and the pages will come out face up.

I haven't seen something back there.

Yes, the 5200 has an output at the back of the printer, so you can do "flat" printing in one pass. Useful for thicker paper that won't go round corners easily!

Doesn't seem to be a problem with my 32lb 12x18. It must have to be quite thick... Although one annoying thing about this paper is when I fold it, it kind of cracks on the fold, becomes a little flaky maybe. It's subtle.

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 2/23/2015 4:07 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jsphweid said...
Although one annoying thing about this paper is when I fold it, it kind of cracks on the fold, becomes a little flaky maybe. It's subtle.

That's to do with the "grain" direction. The grain runs parallel to the long side of the sheet, and you're folding it across the grain, parallel to the short side.
Every tried to tear newsprint? One direction gives you straight lines, the other way goes all wibbly wobbly.

You may be able to order "short grain" 12 x 18 paper, though it might be harder to find and more expensive. It all depends how the sheet is cut down from the original big sheet.

"This is me helping."

Finale 2014d, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.9.5)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 2/23/2015 11:09 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Cover stock is better off going straight through, if you're giving your booklets covers.

Windows 7, MIDI input

Joseph.
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2011

Posted 3/6/2015 3:45 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
v0.12 -- released 2015-03-06 --
-huge improvements in speed/reliability by using jPDF Tweak's ability to use the command line. I got rid of PDFSaM also because it was unnecessary after this
recent discovery. Frankly it worked fine but automating the GUI is not full-proof and not as quick as using the command line.

Seriously, this thing is incredibly quick now. It literally took 23 seconds to go from 6 different 9x12 part pdf's into 2 highly organized merged PDF files. The old one would've taken at least twice as long and probably would've made mistakes.

Windows 7 Finale 2012c

Joseph.
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2011

Posted 10/28/2015 6:29 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Added to OP.

v0.2.0 -- released 2015-10-28 --
-I started using jPDFTweak in a way it wasn't designed but basically it allows me to cut out using the GUI automation and PDF Booklet. So autohotkey uses jPDFTweak entirely. Now the application is much smaller. More changes to come

Here is a demo video: /www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jiq5TR0RN-A

Mac Version:
forum.makemusic.com/?f=6&m=463183&g=463183

The mac version is even more automated (it is at v0.3.0). I plan to do this to the windows version in the next few days (or hours... I'm ridin' the coding high baby).

Windows 7 Finale 2012c

Post Edited (Joseph.) : 11/5/2015 12:09:17 AM (GMT-6)

Joseph.
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2011

Posted 11/1/2015 12:22 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
New version that makes installation easy (I learned how to make a basic installer...).

Usage is a lot easier. Just select files, right click the selected files, click "run bookletMacro." It does the rest for you. SIMPLE.

v0.3.1 -- released 2015-10-31 --
- Update for Win version to make it just like the mac, which is (even easier) to install and easy to run. All driven through the right-click context menu.

Windows 7 Finale 2012c